1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Limits is turning 50....

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Craig Beam, Sep 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

david dennis
    Any thoughts on price? I'm not saying it should be cheap because I respect when they restore this rare cassic material -- I'm just really hurting right now but still want to get it day 1. It's half as many episodes as season 1, but does that translate to half the MSRP?

Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  2. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Given the costs involved in producing these two season sets, I’d be ok if the street price was the same as season one. Though I understand what you’re saying given season two is shorter.

There was a discussion on Blu-ray.com between Craig Beam and someone else who says he’s doing an audio commentary on season 2 that I came across. Given that might have added costs, I can see it adding up to produce these sets.

Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  3. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Cinematographer

CraB
    I'm not in a position to discuss that individual or the circumstances that led to his being brought into the project. As for me, I'm doing three commentaries, same as last time. But I have no idea what Kino's charging for this set.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  4. Nelson Au

And I wasn’t asking for details about that exchange between you and that individual Craig.

5. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Cinematographer

CraB
    Of course you weren't. Sorry if that was the impression I gave.

6. Nelson Au

No, you didn’t give me that impression. I didn’t want you to get the wrong idea. :)

7. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    19. Two centiments, continued: (Spoilers)

"The Invisibles"

I still find this a pretty nifty piece of secret agent paranoia conspiracy science fiction suspense thriller entertainment.

As a one-off, there's a generous portion of story here, great characters, and a good (but conveniently tidy) payoff. I seem to remember speculation that a spin-off series based on this concept might have been considered. Perhaps 1964 was a bit too early for it, but I would have been all over that series. We had to wait another three years for David Vincent to wander America trying to root out alien Invaders posing as humans (with slightly deformed pinky fingers). And Spain would have had the entire GIA behind him.

Every cast member turns in a memorable performance, no matter how small. George MacReady and Neil Hamilton both unleash their best cray cray monologues. I still get a laugh when Hamilton hams it up big time, losing himself completely in the ecstatic throes to his 'master,' only to blink out of his convulsions while still holding a gun on his prisoner and realize, oops, Spain is long gone.

Burke does his best sinister Igor. 'Dick' Dawson goes full fey sleazebag adjutant. Even the actress playing the General's wife gets a good moment where she reveals to Spain why she can't help him because of Dawson's blackmail holding a secret lover over her. All these character and story moments contribute to another solid Stefano script. Tony Mordenta goes acting overboard with his hysterics as 'kid brother' Planetta. He showed a lot more restraint as a Jet.

The pain in Spain stays mainly in my brain.

But let's hand the MVP award to Don Gordon as agent 0021 (007 cubed) for fantastically selling a mangled ankle which, otherwise, the suspenseful finale would never work so effectively.

Let's face it, outrunning a crab-like Invisible should be even easier than hoofing away from a Zanti. But Gordon's ankle agony and contortions still gets me cringing and buying his vulnerable incapacity. I'll never forget how nerve-wracking it was first watching this as a kid witnessing him try to crawl away from the Invisible. If you were a kid who also saw The Tingler around this same time, your worst nightmare was some crustacean-like parasite crawling or digging its way into your spine.

And did anyone else notice that the same two cars were used in this episode as in Don't Open Till Doomsday? The black Lincoln limousine Spain drives was previously driven by the eloping bride's father, and Dawson's 63? Thunderbird was driven by the young groom.

And maybe it was the clarity and detail of the HD, but this time I noticed Spain's ankle wasn't just run over, but also trapped up between the front wheel in the fender. No wonder the dude was writhing in agony, crying out, and sweating bullets.

The 2018 Emmys were just announced yesterday, but I think Don Gordon (aka Don Walter Guadagno,1926-2017) deserves a posthumous one for so effectively dragging us along on that torturous journey with him.

8. Sadsack

Sadsack Stunt Coordinator

David
    So Craig is jacking up the price of Season Two with his commentaries?!?!?! :huh::(:angry::eek:

;)

9. Nelson Au

I also viewed The Invisibles last night. While I’ve seen photos of the Creature, I honestly don’t remember this episode. I’ve seen some production stills, but that’s it. So this was a totally new episode to me where the story is concerned. It was interesting to see the guest cast.

Agreed that Don Gordon was very good in it. I mainly know George MacReady from his appearance on Get Smart. Of course I’m familiar with Neil Hamilton so this was a creepy performance. I was surprised to see Richard Dawson. Dee Hartford looked so familiar, I see she was in Lost In Space and Batman.

The story was so unexpected, because of the introduction of the Creature, I didn’t expect it to go the way it did. It is similar to the invasion story genre by taking over key people in power. Reminded me of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. And 100 Days of the Dragon and The Manchurian Candidate of course. The spy angle was the other unexpected twist. With all these elements together, it was an interesting episode.

I do of course remember Second Chances with Don Gordon again in that episode. The next episode is on my top 5 or so list of favorite episodes, The Bellero Shield. I’m looking forward to that.