"The Others" Reg 2 UK - Where is the commentary?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Jeeves, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

Can anyone find the commentary on the UK Region 2 release of "The Others"?

2. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Sadly, there is no commentary - which is strange as DVDReview manage to review the commentary in issue 42 (the one with the Monsters, Inc. cover)

3. PatrikB

PatrikB Extra

There seems to be two releases in the UK , one 2-disc collectors edition and a single disc release (rental). The audio commentary is on the 2-disc , maybe you have the rental disc.
    Collectors Edition
    Rental

4. Martin Jeeves

Thanks for your comments guys!
    No I definately have the 2 disc set (from HMV) and I still can't find the audio commentary track. Wierd.

5. James Reader

There is no commentary on the retail release - it has (presumably) been dropped, just like the initial DTS soundtrack has been.
    A search of the BBFC will show that no commentary has been submitted either. It was never going to be on. So how DVDReview could review it is a total mystery. [​IMG]

6. Martin Jeeves

That is so WEIRD! Do you think they made it up?

7. James Reader

Martin, I'm not sure if commentary tracks have to be submitted to the BBFC by law - after all CD's aren't are they? I think submission is optional if the company thinks language might be a problem. I'm not sure.

But should a commentary go out which is inappropriate for the rating the discs will need to be recalled. That's what happened to the UK Bridget Jones (but this was due to the soundtrack playing underneath the commentary being audible and not having a the change made to it required for the rating).

So don't read too much into the commentary not being passed by the BBFC. (But if anyone wants to correct me, please do.)

Anyhow, I think the SFX review mentioned the commentary, but said it wasn't on their test disc but would be on the final release. I think that the commentary must have been recorded, maybe Disney sent the magazine a tape separately or something?

8. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Wouldnt shock me if DVD Review reviewed the R1 in the hope to blag a "scoop" of sorts. I remember why back a Nintendo magazine reviewed the Sega Genesis/Megadrive version of the Toy Story videogame but the joke was on them, as they discussed a level exclusive to the Sega version. [​IMG]
    Dan

9. James Reader

Dan, the commentary is not on the R1 version.

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Ahhhh.... Is it on any version?

Dan

11. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The commentary is also omitted from the R4 version, which is also a 2 DVD set. Commentaries have to be submitted to the BBFC for classification, as do all other extras.

I was initially surprised when this movie was listed as having a commentary, as Amenabar's English is pretty poor (he had to learn it when he was making this film). The track may have been pulled at the last minute, but it wouldn't be the first time an online reviewer invented some extras and passed them off as a scoop.

12. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

hmmm, very interesting all this!
    So I emailed the editor of DVDReview:
    Dear sir
    the review by "SD" of the region 2 release of "The Others" says:
    "the set is redeemed by Amenabar’s commentary. The man’s magnetism and enthusiasm are endearing and his sheer attention to detail is astounding. One of the most interesting insights is not about his use of lighting and score, but more his use of silence and bareness to invoke anxiety – leaving the scares to the imagination rather than relying on expensive effects."
    Please explain to me how it is possible to review a commentary that has does not in fact exist. I have asked BVE and they know nothing about a commentary ever being recorded for this release. They also do not know of one having been included on any review "screener" discs. A commentary was originally announced by the PR company on the press release for this DVD but this was a mistake. I put it to you that your "review" is based upon this information and the Region 1 disc that has been available for some time.
    I would very much appreciate it if you took the time to explain how this commentary was actually reviewed by DVDreview.
    Many thanks
    Richard Clark
    he replied:
    Hi Richard.
    We at DVD Review have been a little annoyed about this, like you, but I'm sure BVHE didn't tell you that it was them who sent us the Region 1 discs to review from -- as they were unable to provide us with the UK discs for the issue they wanted a review in. Unfortunately, we were not informed about the commentary being removed from the UK
    release -- we certainly wouldn't have been so generous with extras if we had known -- by BVHE.
    I can only apologise for the mix up which leaves many UK fans disillusioned as to the UK's contents -- another example of a superior Region 1.
    so I then wrote:
    Your reply would carry some weight if in fact your facts were correct. I'm sorry to inform you that the Region 1 version does not (and never did at any point in it's planning) have a commentary track.
    Regards,
    Richard Clark
    to which I received this reply:
    OK, now I'm really annoyed at SD. I'll check out the discs this weekend -- a good excuse to finally see the film -- and I'll try and get in contact with the writer of the review. I'll get back to you on Monday (if I forget send me an email to remind me) with some factual answers that don't involve me assuming that my freelancers know what they're doing.
    So, make of the above what you will. I would like to know if the reviewer "SD" did in fact make it up or even if "SD" exists! To me it's very obvious what's been done but it also angers me as a consumer. I'll post back when I hear more from DVDreview

13. Steven_T

Steven_T Auditioning

Ladies and Gentleman the answer to your question lies at Amazon France. The french release of The Others ( or Les Autres) contains not only a dts english track, but also a commentary by Mr. Amenabar. This release is by Universal Pictures and not BV as all other releases.
    Use the link below to view the details or simply search Amazon for the title. Will cost you about 26 Euro.
    Hope this helps and yay I've done my first post!!
    http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005Y3S0/

14. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

I'll believe it's on the French DVD when I see it. The specs are identical to those originally announced for the UK R2 release. If it's a French only release, then the chances of an English commentary track (or a track with English subtitles) would be zero to none.

15. James Reader

16. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

"...If it's a French only release, then the chances of an English commentary track (or a track with English subtitles) would be zero to none."
    ...well... on 22 October we'll know for sure!...
    http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=6142
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

17. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

The cover scan from cinestore:
    [​IMG]
    Is the first word in the 'Bonus' section "commentaire", or is that wishful thinking [​IMG] ??

18. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

The wonders of R2 never ceases to be dull, that is certainly an understatement.
    [​IMG]