The Others - on DVD in January

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mathias Klemme, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Mathias Klemme

Mathias Klemme Stunt Coordinator

Just a little something for those who don't want to wait: A (possibly R3) DVD of The Others will be released in Hong Kong on January 29 (including a DTS track). It's from Universe, and the last Universe discs have been very good (Battle Royale, Series 7 - The Contenders), so I'm going to pick it up. Plus, it's cheap. I ordered from www.dddhouse.com - very fast and reliable.
    cheers,
    Mathias

2. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

This was discussed in a previous thread. The problem is, this version is NOT anamorphic.

3. Brett C

Brett C Second Unit

I don't care what that sight says, This DVD will be animorphic!!! The company thats releasing it Universe switched to 16/9 transfers with the title Driven and since then every title they,ve done has been Animorphic. How do I know, because I own them all and they use the exact same transfer thats used in the states,I know this because I own the r1 discs as well ,so I for one will be buying this DVD and I bet when it does eventually come out,the region 1 it will look identical and I wouldn't be suprised excluding the DTS track!!!

4. Mathias Klemme

Mathias Klemme Stunt Coordinator

Same here. "Series 7 - The Contenders" was said to be non-anamorphic, but my copy is 16x9... and at that price, the disc is a steal.

5. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

6. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    I have found this Hong Kong dealer quite dependable. I placed several orders last year and they were shipped promptly.

7. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The Others distributed by Universe Video & Laser Co. Limited is presented in letterbox widescreen with dts & stereo English sound options. Subtitle options are Chinese Simplified & Chinese Traditional. There are no added-value materials, not even trailers.
    Here is a scan of the cover artwork courtesy of The Asian DVD Guide:
    http://www.asiandvdguide.com/weekly8467/DTS6011.jpg
    And yes, the DVD is coded for Region 3.

8. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    The copy I ordered arrived today from Hong Kong. I can confirm that it is 1.85 letterbox. My first impression of the transfer and sound, however, is positive. This is as viewed on a 36 inch 16x9 Sony. Some of the interior scenes are dark and outdoor scenes overcast but shadow detail holds up well and colors seem accurate. It appears that the director may have wanted to create this mood. The dts track offers lots of low notes from the sub.

The Region 1 version, I am sure, will be preferred but this lookes quite nice for a non-anamorphic transfer. And at $15, including shipping it is a true bargain. I can also confirm that it is indeed Region code 3 as marked.

9. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The R3 DVD is reviewed here:
    http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/index.cgi?...620&story=2740
    In short, I think I'll wait for the R1. Non-anamorphic widescreen is bad enough, but why do so many R3 Hong Kong DVDs have to be so full of artefacts? There is little point in getting the sound right if the film looks godawful.

10. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

good deal! Loved this film and just placed my order today. Haven't had time to check for info on the web, so I was pleasantly surprised that I will be able to get this title earlier than expected.

Hopefully, the non-anamorphic picture won't be too much of a let down. I'm trusting that the DTS track will be a showcase in ambiance and subtle surround effects.

Elbert