What's new

The Orville - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Another article about it:

The Orville has only aired two seasons at this point, and it has not kept to a regular schedule. Season 1 had 12 episodes airing from September-December 2017 on Fox. Season 2 had 14 episodes airing midseason from December 2018-April 2019 on Fox.

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2471292/watch-the-orvilles-hilarious-season-2-gag-reel

Technically speaking, both seasons had 13 episodes. One of the first season's episodes was held over for the second season causing some minor continuity issues which some have commented on.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Rejuvenating an old thread now that there's a significant build-up of news.

Shooting of season 3 has finally concluded this month. The pandemic delayed the shooting schedule pretty badly. Now everything's being edited together, music recorded and special effects added.

No release date yet, but Hulu still reports that the show will air in 2021. Seth MacFarlane's pushing for more action and drama and fewer jokes this season. It'll be interesting to see how this goes, especially explaining how the kids Ty and Marcus both grew a full two years between both seasons and during this season's very long shooting schedule!

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
A tragically long wait for a new season, especially since we’ve only had two so far. But I’m very happy and grateful that we’re still getting more. I’m not counting on 2021 happening, but it’ll be a nice surprise if it does. Great show that should go on for however long MacFarlane and co. decide. It’s so amazing.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It took far too long but I’m glad it’s coming back.

My only minor point of concern is that MacFarlane has repeatedly stressed last season’s two part Isaac episode was more the direction the show was going in, and I found that to be one of the weakest/most predictable episodes they’ve done. The show is built to be a comedy and I hope it doesn’t swing too far into drama.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Sometimes I feel like he only made it a comedy because that was the only way Fox would put a Seth MacFarlane live action SF series on the air. "From the creator of Family Guy and Ted!" He's a Star Trek fan and I could totally see him using this as a foot in the door to create his own Trek show and eventually make it more of a drama than a comedy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not opposed to drama per se but I just don’t think this show is built to carry that kind of weight. When they take on comedic stories (or even dramatic stories told through a comedic lens), like the intricacies of Bortus and his species, they do a really good job. But when they’re intentionally trying to do Serious DramaTM, like that two part Isaac episode, I just find it to be derivative and predictable.

I’ve never seen a sci-if comedy about a species needing to go to the bathroom, or a dramedy about members of a species instituting forced sex reassignment to preserve a single gender ideal. I have seen plenty of sci-if shows about sentient robots turning out to be evil.

I only keep bringing that up because MacFarlane himself cites the Isaac episodes as the future direction of the show and to me those were the weakest two hours of the entire series. I don’t think the show is at its best doing that kind of story which virtually any other show could tackle; I think it’s at its best when it does something that it has a unique vantage point on.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I’m not opposed to drama per se but I just don’t think this show is built to carry that kind of weight. When they take on comedic stories (or even dramatic stories told through a comedic lens), like the intricacies of Bortus and his species, they do a really good job. But when they’re intentionally trying to do Serious DramaTM, like that two part Isaac episode, I just find it to be derivative and predictable.

I’ve never seen a sci-if comedy about a species needing to go to the bathroom, or a dramedy about members of a species instituting forced sex reassignment to preserve a single gender ideal. I have seen plenty of sci-if shows about sentient robots turning out to be evil.

I only keep bringing that up because MacFarlane himself cites the Isaac episodes as the future direction of the show and to me those were the weakest two hours of the entire series. I don’t think the show is at its best doing that kind of story which virtually any other show could tackle; I think it’s at its best when it does something that it has a unique vantage point on.
I don't disagree with any of that. As a comedy, it actually turns out more unique concepts.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Man, I really hope it’s good and that it maintains enough of an audience to be successful. A three year hiatus and tonal shift on a show that started as a lightweight confection is a big ask but I want to enjoy it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Man, I really hope it’s good and that it maintains enough of an audience to be successful. A three year hiatus and tonal shift on a show that started as a lightweight confection is a big ask but I want to enjoy it.

Agree x 100. It's been ages and ages since there were any new episodes of this show. I'm sure they're going to get some kind of audience, but expectations have to be wildly tempered down at this point. I'm gonna watch, no doubt, but man, what a three/four years it's been since new Orville.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks