What's new

The Orville - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Well, I would argue that the content providers, or their parent companies are at least as much to blame (if that is what we are trying to establish). When each of these companies decides that they have to have their own service and aren't willing to license their product then folks are going to make decisions about what services are and are not worth their money. Basically, these companies in their quest to own the entire pie are killing the goose that laid the golden egg. So, in my estimation, the greatest obstacle these companies face is their own greed.

I don't think it's greed so much as trying to survive in a changing media landscape.

The old method of getting financing for a TV show is virtually extinct. In the past, a studio would sell a show to a network for a set fee; this fee would cover a significant portion of the production expenses. The studio would put up the remaining money, and hope that the show would be successful enough to last long enough to enter syndication, at which point the studio would be able to start recouping the rest of their investment by selling syndication rights. Networks were willing to pay a higher fee for shows, because the advertising that aired during popular shows had tremendous value.

That paradigm has changed.

To begin with, networks are unable to finance shows in the way they used to. This is because broadcast advertising is not as lucrative as it once was. The reason for this is that far fewer people watch a show live during broadcast than in years past. And on top of that, commercial time just isn't as valuable in an environment where the viewer doesn't have to watch the commercials to see the show. Broadcast TV has more competition than ever, fewer viewers than ever, and even fewer ways to monetize those viewers.

The old model is broken.

Studios and content creators are at a crossroads, and trying to find a way to make production viable in an era where there are more distribution channels than ever before, but fewer sources of reliable funding. I don't think it's a bad thing that studios are essentially experimenting with a direct to consumer approach. Shows on TV were never free in the first place; the costs were just hidden from the consumer. We paid for shows indirectly in the past by watching commercial advertising and purchasing those products. Now, by and large, we're not watching that advertising and we're not buying products simply because a commercial aired during a show we like. It's not unreasonable that those companies are not willing to spend the same amount on advertising when it no longer gets them the same number of viewers or sales as it used to.

So we can either pay for the content that we enjoy, or we can decline to pay for it, and in doing so, send the message that this content isn't relevant or appealing to us.

I don't think the move to Hulu is about creativity. I think it's about greed.

I don't think that's true at all.

I think the media landscape has changed tremendously in the short time that Fox renewed the Orville, and today. When The Orville was renewed for a third season, it was the Fox network renewing a show produced by the Fox studio, which were one and the same company. Even though the Disney merger had already been announced, until it was completed, federal law prohibited Fox from making any organizational changes or making any business changes based on what the new owners would want. By law, they were required to act as if they weren't being bought. And in that environment, renewing the Orville to air on the Fox Network made sense.

But once the merger went through, Disney had ownership of the Fox studio, while the Fox Network remained with the Murdoch family. The Fox Network has indicated that it plans to move away from scripted programming in favor of live events and reality shows. Shows like The Orville no longer fit into their business model. Additionally, The Orville is an expensive and time consuming show to produce. Now, there is perhaps a reasonable argument to be made that a show like this could be made in a different fashion that cost less and was faster to produce, but that's not The Orville as we know it. While The Orville aired its first two seasons on the Fox network, the show has behaved since the beginning like a streaming or premium cable show, with short seasons and extended breaks between those seasons. It's not really a fit for where Fox is right now.

The Orville has already suffered declining ratings on Fox because this method of production and release is not conducive to ratings success on broadcast. And whether we like it or not, sci-fi programs like The Orville are always on the chopping block for network broadcast. Broadcast networks always want more viewers than what sci-fi programs typically attract, and advertisers typically want different demographics than what sci-fi brings in. So I suppose that could be considered greed, but it's not greed on behalf of the studio producing the show. It's just the reality of the broadcast landscape. That Fox let the show go so easily should be an indication of how unimportant it was to them.

I think the choice Disney faced, as the studio now producing the Orville, was to continue with the initial plan to air the show on Fox, where it wouldn't be a priority for the network, and where the realities of broadcast today would all but guarantee that it would sink. Or, they could have done what they did, which was to move it to a platform where it had a greater chance of success. By being on Hulu, the metrics by which success is measured changes, and numbers that would have been considered "not good enough" on broadcast will be good enough on streaming.

That said, if they had moved it to one of the other platforms (which wasn't going to happen since Disney owns Fox and Hulu), then I'd continue to watch.

So the problem isn't so much that it went from broadcast to streaming, but that it went to a different streaming service than the one you'd prefer?

This demonstrates the point I was making in the first place - the biggest hurdle that content producers face today isn't in getting people interested in that content, but getting people to pay for it.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
So the problem isn't so much that it went from broadcast to streaming, but that it went to a different streaming service than the one you'd prefer?

Yes, which is precisely what I said. When every network wants to have their own pay-streaming service and kills television as we know it, they will effectively kill streaming as well.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
All this diversification of streaming is really doing is taking the power cable companies have and turning it over to the consumer. You get to choose what you pay for now versus having "everything" included for one price. When you buy directly from the network/studio, you're not gonna get blacked out like is happening with Direct TV/CBS right now. You're not gonna have local preemptions (the CW). You're gonna watch on your schedule.

I'd rather have six streaming services which I will use versus a cable package I don't even if I end up paying the same exact price. There's a lot of junk on cable and I'd rather not even know it exists.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
^ agreed. Since DTV and CBS got in their pissing contest over cost I was at first I was a little concerned until I looked over all CBS programming and realized I really don't watch ANY of it with the exception of Survivor which I will get via an alternative source when needed.

If it weren't for my wife's incredible addiction to home improvement shows (DIY/HDTV) I would cut the cord and not look back....

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^ agreed. Since DTV and CBS got in their pissing contest over cost I was at first I was a little concerned until I looked over all CBS programming and realized I really don't watch ANY of it with the exception of Survivor which I will get via an alternative source when needed.

If it weren't for my wife's incredible addiction to home improvement shows (DIY/HDTV) I would cut the cord and not look back....
I feel your pain. It's exactly the same with my wife and the reason we still have cable (although it's not connected to my set).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hulu is no better than paying for cable, since they embed commercials in all their shows. It's actually worse, since at least with cable I can DVR a show and skip the commercials. You cannot skip ads on Hulu.

I signed up for Hulu last year for 99 cents a month. It's not even worth that much.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I still haven't finished the Lifetime Days and Nights of Molly Dodd episodes or the Family Channel Young Indiana Jones Chronicles's. And now this!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Hulu is no better than paying for cable, since they embed commercials in all their shows. It's actually worse, since at least with cable I can DVR a show and skip the commercials. You cannot skip ads on Hulu.

I signed up for Hulu last year for 99 cents a month. It's not even worth that much.

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than any cable I've ever had in my life. Comcast cable here in Seattle increase my bill by about $100 per month. Hulu is a bargain.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have ff through every commercial since I bought my first Beta machine in the 1980s. I will never subscribe to any service that makes me watch them. Our cable has “on demand”. If we miss a show, I play it into my recordable DVD player’s hard drive first so we can ff the commercials.

That is not to say I don’t watch some relevant ones. If the commercial is funny, or the product is of direct interest to two people in their 60s, we watch.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That is not to say I don’t watch some relevant ones. If the commercial is funny, or the product is of direct interest to two people in their 60s, we watch.
I have *rarely* in my life found a commercial offering a "product of direct interest." The few times I purchased a product based on a commercial I was disappointed in the product.

I pretty much began tuning them out in my 20s, usually by channel hopping in the commercial breaks. The best purchases I ever made were a VHS machine and a TV with PIP (Picture in Picture). I'd run the VCR into the PIP and during a commercial break enable the feature, swap to the PIP for channel hopping while monitoring the inset for the commercial to end. When it ended I flipped the images back to the main program and turned off PIP. I hated it when that set died as I never found another with that very useful feature.

I stream anything with forced commercials on my laptop. When a commercial comes up I switch tabs and browse during that break, switching back when I hear the show come back on. It works well enough.

I keep wondering just how much of a ratings hit The Orville is going to experience by going to HULU - especially considering they no longer have a "free with commercials" option.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I keep wondering just how much of a ratings hit The Orville is going to experience by going to HULU - especially considering they no longer have a "free with commercials" option.

Besides Orville, are there any other Hulu exclusive first-run shows which might attract an audience to the streaming service?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Besides Orville, are there any other Hulu exclusive first-run shows which might attract an audience to the streaming service?

Emmy-award winning Handmaid's Tale; Castle Rock (Stephen King); Marvel's Runaways; Veronica Mars; extra seasons of The Mindy Project and dozens more.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
All this diversification of streaming is really doing is taking the power cable companies have and turning it over to the consumer.

Technically yes on the surface.

Though deeper down, telco/cable conglomerates may very well also own the internet pipelines which the streaming data is passing through.

So they win either way, without having to do much of anything.

The only way around this "heads I win, tails you lose" situation for the telco/cable conglomerates, is if the anti-trust division of the federal department of justice breaks up these conglomerates where the division which owns the internet pipelines are independent from the division which handles cable tv service.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Technically yes on the surface.

Though deeper down, telco/cable conglomerates may very well also own the internet pipelines which the streaming data is passing through.

So they win either way, without having to do much of anything.

The only way around this "heads I win, tails you lose" situation for the telco/cable conglomerates, is if the anti-trust division of the federal department of justice breaks up these conglomerates where the division which owns the internet pipelines are independent from the division which handles cable tv service.

In some situations, yes. Comcast is Universal, NBC and others. If you drop the cable package, however, you're not paying for that anymore and only paying for the internet. That seems to be a win in some way for me.

I'm still thrilled to have been able to get rid of cable TV and get the programs I want and not the ones I don't care about.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
OK, so I was wondering and did some Googling.

https://www.space.com/orville-season3-preview-nycc-2019.html

LcmFgq2L62tMZF94Tme8Q6-650-80.jpg

Jon Cassar, Peter Macon, Chad Coleman, Penny Johnson Jerald, Mark Jackson, Adrianne Palicki, J. Lee, Scott Grimes, Jessica Szohr and David Goodman attend Hulu's "The Orville" panel at New York Comic Con 2019 Day 4 at Jacob K. Javits Convention Center on Oct. 6, 2019, in New York City. (Image credit: Craig Barritt/Getty)

Most of the cast (all but Seth) showed up at ComiCon and had a little panel.

Its an October 26 article

Sadly, the show's creator, Seth MacFarlane, couldn't attend, but principal photography of Season 3 starts this month, so he's probably pretty busy.

<...>
Cassar gave some details about what we can expect from Season 3, saying that it will be 11 episodes long.

"All I can tell you is that after last year's [episode] 'Identity' — [Parts] 1 and 2 — which I'm sure you've all seen, is that Seth wants to make all this year all like that. So, I'm telling you right now, that it's double the production schedule that we had before, and it's going to be huge."

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Another article about it:

Where's The Orville Season 3 and why is it not in front of your eyeballs in fall 2019, or even gearing up for a midseason 2020 premiere? The answer is tied to creator/star Seth MacFarlane's schedule and ambitious plans, leading the sci-fi show to move from Fox to Hulu for an arrival in late 2020.

The Orville has only aired two seasons at this point, and it has not kept to a regular schedule. Season 1 had 12 episodes airing from September-December 2017 on Fox. Season 2 had 14 episodes airing midseason from December 2018-April 2019 on Fox.

The Orville fans just learned at New York Comic-Con that Season 3 will have 11 episodes, but they will be much longer on Hulu than they were on Fox. Those 11 episodes won't be arriving until the end of 2020 due to Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane's busy schedule and the amount of work it takes to create The Orville. They are really putting their backs into Season 3 to make it look great, and the show just wouldn't be ready for a fall 2019 or midseason 2020 debut.

The Orville Season 3 not being ready for fall or midseason led Fox to look for other options, making a deal with Hulu for The Orville Season 3 to move to the streaming service. It's going to be frustrating for fans who have Fox on their TV sets but not Hulu to figure out how to watch The Orville Season 3. But Hulu always has free trials for new subscribers and you can stream the first two seasons of The Orville right now on Hulu, with a subscription.

The Orville Season 2 finale aired on April 25, 2019 with the alternate timeline episode "The Road Not Taken." That ended with Claire (Penny Johnson Jerald) successfully going back in time to erase Kelly's (Adrianne Palicki) memories, and Kelly accepting that second date with Ed (Seth MacFarlane). The timeline seems to be put to rights. But we'll have to see what happens from there.

During the NYCC panel, executive producer Jon Cassar promised more space battles and "Identity"-quality episodes. EP David Goodman said they would love to have Halston Sage back as Lieutenant Alara Kitan, but would never replace Jessica Szohr as Lieutenant Talla Keyali.

A few months ago, before The Orville Season 3 was official, Klyden actor Chad Coleman talked about what he'd like to see next for his character. We did just hear that Bortus will return to the mic in Season 3 (yaassss), but I hope Coleman also gets what he wants for Klyden in the new season.

The Orville fans have some time to wait before Season 3 arrives on Hulu in late 2020, and you can spend at least a few minutes of that time watching the Season 2 gag reel. Keep up with everything that is airing on TV this year with our handy 2019 fall TV premiere schedule.

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2471292/watch-the-orvilles-hilarious-season-2-gag-reel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks