1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Orville - Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Francois Caron, May 11, 2019.

1. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Well this really sucks. Big time!

First, its moving from a free broadcast to a pay channel.

But worse - "Late 2020". That means its a f***ing year and a half between seasons.

Do the decision-makers hate the show (and just want it to fail), or do they just hate the viewers?

Walter Kittel likes this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I wonder if when MacFarlane talked about Hulu giving more freedom, if that wasn’t a comment about creative content but a reference to how streaming platforms routinely allow their shows to take multi-year hiatuses between seasons as a matter of standard operating procedure.

3. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    Y'know, it never really hurt British shows. Red Dwarf has done, what, 13 seasons in 30 years? Assuming XIII is out this year, of course.

US TV outside of the OTA networks has slowly been shifting to the British model... short seasons every year or so.

4. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Well, since I don't subscribe to Hulu, I guess that is one less show I'll be watching. Kind of sucks. :thumbsdown:

Seeing as how I already have cable, amazon prime, and netflix I really don't feel like increasing my monthly entertainment budget. Certainly not the last show that I'll have to leave behind. If and when it is more widely available I'll return to the series, but not until then. Very disappointing. I will miss the show, but not enough to continue adding more and more services to my monthly budget.

- Walter.

NeilO likes this.
  5. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    There’s no reason to add another ongoing expense to your monthly budget. When the new season ends, simply join Hulu for one month, watch all the episodes, and then cancel. You’ll see an entire season for about $6, which is far less than a disc release would cost. And if you’ve never joined Hulu, you may be eligible for a free month trial, so it might not even cost you anything.

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

That's entirely too logical.

Please let me stew in my umbrage regarding the fragmentation of the entertainment market. :)

- Walter.

7. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I hate all this fragmentation too, but the flip side to that is that there’s so little new TV I like in the first place that I’m just overjoyed to have a show I love that hasn’t been canceled.

8. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    There have been talks that since Disney is the major share holder with Hulu now, there would be nicely priced pairings with the new Disney+ and Hulu late this year. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that since I know I'll be trying Disney+ and if they can make it worth my while to do Hulu, too, I'll bite.

9. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    In Canada, where Hulu is not available, we can only hope it will be on regular TV a la “Star Trek Discovery”. Otherwise I’ll have to wait for inferior DVD discs “late 2021” if I’m still around.

This is one of the shows I record to DVD-RW myself in case commercial discs are never available, (like Galavant), and then erase when I get the set.

10. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    This isn't true. In fact, I can't name a single mainstream show released in the last, oh, five years, released in the manner you fear. Everything that comes out in the USA--whether on cable, exclusively on Hulu or CBS All Access or another USA-only platform--comes out in Canada either on conventional TV (e.g. The Handmaid's Tale and Star Trek Discovery) or one of the three common streaming platforms (Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Crave). Canadians have not had to wait for a physical release for anything.

11. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Very disappointed. I guess I will wait until it comes out on disc and then borrow from the library.

Bryan^H likes this.
  12. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Late 2020--Screw the lazy work ethic of modern TV productions. Just screw it.

Also, the move to HULU. Yup, this series is officially dead to me. I vowed to stay away from all of these vampire credit card draining streaming services, and I wont make exceptions for any mediocre series that I used to watch casually on basic cable TV

13. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Considering the new regime calling the shots on this show is now Disney, there's also the possibliity that Disney does not release any further dvd (or bluray) season sets for The Orville. (ie. Similar to what happened to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D).

14. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    I suppose I could find a way to get Hulu for a month, especially if I can get a free trail or something, but I find it very annoying. It’s too good of a show for me to completely write of any new episodes, though.

15. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Well, I didn't see this happening after the third season renewal. I'm not a fan of the year plus wait between seasons, even if the show has "evolved" (their words, not mine). But if moving to Hulu means the difference between a third season and nothing, I'll go with Hulu.

I won't rag on the production not being able to do more than the episodes they do on the timeline they have. I already did that in the S2 thread. When the show comes back, I'll watch.

16. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    If this series gets included with Disney+ (and not some package deal with HULU for an added fee) then there's a chance as I'm considering that service for when the grandkids come over (just about every day).

If not, I'll only watch if it's available for legal, free, streaming somewhere or just wait for physical media (and if that goes away then I do too).

I will not pay for a service to watch a single show, nor will I bother with a "free month" as they're mostly a pain to deal with, typically want more information than I feel they need, and *still* want some type of payment tied to the account in case you forget to cancel. No thanks.

Brian L and NeilO like this.
  17. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think "The Orville" moving to Hulu, and the discussion that it's generated here, proves the point that I've made in so many other threads about so many different films and shows:

The greatest obstacle that content producers face today and in years to come is not in getting people interested in watching a show, but rather, in getting people to pay for the media for which they consume. In this thread (and in other corners of the internet), we already have tons of posts from people who proclaim to love the show, but who will now not watch it because it's not being delivered in the fashion they prefer.

Everyone should feel free to watch or not watch what they want. But it should also be made clear that the takeaway the studio will have from people not watching will not be, "Streaming sucks, we're going back to making 22 episodes a year and airing them on a weekly basis." The takeaway will be, "We overestimated the interest in this show, and we do not have a viable audience for us to continue producing this content."

18. Message #38 of 57 Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Philip Verdieck
    I heartily agree.

The old (broadcast) paradigm isn't dead yet, but it isn't getting any better.
    My only issue is data cap, I pay AT&T for cable in order to get around a 1TB data cap. Streaming HD (and HDR when possible) eat into that quickly If I could get no cap data and drop cable I could reallocate money on other streaming services, right now I am just doing NetFlix and Prime.

2 Trek shows on CBS all access makes it worth my time, and I can always ditch it once the 2 show's seasons end. I will have to see about Hulu.

19. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

The greatest obstacle that content producers face today and in years to come is not in getting people interested in watching a show, but rather, in getting people to pay for the media for which they consume.

Well, I would argue that the content providers, or their parent companies are at least as much to blame (if that is what we are trying to establish). When each of these companies decides that they have to have their own service and aren't willing to license their product then folks are going to make decisions about what services are and are not worth their money. Basically, these companies in their quest to own the entire pie are killing the goose that laid the golden egg. So, in my estimation, the greatest obstacle these companies face is their own greed.

Nothing terribly original in this post, but I thought I'd offer a counterpoint that folks do pay and are willing to pay; but they don't want to be nickeled and dimed to death.

- Walter.

BobO'Link likes this.
  20. AcesHighStudios

AcesHighStudios Stunt Coordinator

Mike Williams
    I will not be joining Hulu to watch "The Orville." I already pay to much for 4K DirecTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime and CBS All-Access. I will not be adding Hulu. If the studio determines there isn't sufficient interest in this show and cancel it, then so be it. I don't think the move to Hulu is about creativity. I think it's about greed. That said, if they had moved it to one of the other platforms (which wasn't going to happen since Disney owns Fox and Hulu), then I'd continue to watch.

Mr645 likes this.