What's new

The Orville - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
My only issue with this episode was with the escape attempt. Excessive violence driven by an emotional reaction. It was a bit off-putting, and felt as if the writers didn't know how to get themselves out of the corner they had written themselves in.

The astrology angle however was excellent and just as significant as the first season's social media episode. And for once, we have a sci-fi TV show where people are EXCITED about a first contact mission and not dreading it!

"Is anyone out there?" They should have reworded it as "Is there anybody out there" in the same rhythm as Pink Floyd's The Wall! :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's one of those "odd little things" you sometimes stumble upon. I was reading an article on "Screen Rants" about "Last minute changes that saved TNG" and see this shot:

maxresdefault.jpg

My first thought was "Wait... Picard... on the Orville?" But it's not. I have no idea what episode this shot is from but it looks so much like the bridge on the Orville that I had to post it here.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Is it just me or did I hear the spirit of James Horner in this episode's music, especially when they're in the shuttle going down to the planet. Granted I am a huge Horner fan, so it's possible I am hearing with my heart, but my eyes teared up a bit when I remembered how great it was to watch a show with a new Horner score.

I thought the episode was very good, but the break-out attempt seemed out of place, if for no other reason it made me question the credibility of the ending. Sure, they might let the other outcasts go once the light appeared, but I had a hard time believing they weren't going to hold Kelly and Bortus accountable for killing so many of their people. To explain it away as "that is what their kind does" was not sufficient for me.

That said, this series continues to be consistently good, IMO.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Is it just me or did I hear the spirit of James Horner in this episode's music, especially when they're in the shuttle going down to the planet. Granted I am a huge Horner fan, so it's possible I am hearing with my heart, but my eyes teared up a bit when I remembered how great it was to watch a show with a new Horner score.

I thought the episode was very good, but the break-out attempt seemed out of place, if for no other reason it made me question the credibility of the ending. Sure, they might let the other outcasts go once the light appeared, but I had a hard time believing they weren't going to hold Kelly and Bortus accountable for killing so many of their people. To explain it away as "that is what their kind does" was not sufficient for me.

I intimately know every single note Horner ever composed so I’ll check that when I watch it and let you know if you are right, or just hopeful :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I'm so pleased with the musical score for this series. It almost feels like it is from another time (late 80's perhaps?). And to be honest I haven't heard anything like it in film or TV. I can't wait to get the CD.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This show continues to be very good. For the third straight week I was impressed, not just by the writing, but how varied the teleplays were in theme. The show can change gears from making me roll in stitches to making me feel sad to making me stop and think about life, all within about five minutes of screen time. I wish it aired at a different time so I could watch it live to help the ratings. I try to watch it the same day it airs, but it's so late already on the West Coast. I always make a point to watch it at least the next day. My understanding is, if you watch it after 48 hours of airing, it's not counted in the ratings.

And I sure want this show to get a third season.

It annoys me when they claim it will be presented with "limited commercial interruptions." I've counted. There's actually more interruptions when they make this claim. The difference is, the interruptions are shorter in duration. But that's not what they boast about. "Limited commercial interruptions," in my book, means fewer commercial breaks, not more. I'd rather have fewer, longer breaks so I can have fewer scanning sessions. :)

I actually clocked the most recent ep after seeing that pop up.
Total show time was 47 minutes.

Anyway I did not like this ep.

They could have gone on there very easily and rescued them without probably no casualties.

The fake star? Maybe I missed how they explained it but couldn’t they see it with. Telescope?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Okay, so I am watching now and I clearly heard an homage to Horner's Star Trek II right after we meet the new security chief - and when they get the message from the planet it riffs a little on his Trek scores, then a healthier homage to Star Trek II/III all the way through the shuttle down to the planet. You weren't imagining things :)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Okay, so I am watching now and I clearly heard an homage to Horner's Star Trek II right after we meet the new security chief - and when they get the message from the planet it riffs a little on his Trek scores, then a healthier homage to Star Trek II/III all the way through the shuttle down to the planet. You weren't imagining things :)
By the homage to STIII, there were tears running down my face. It just caught me off guard. I wasn't ready for it. But I absolutely loved it to the core of my being.

Glad to know I wasn't imagining the source of those tears.:thumbsup:

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Some geeky sci-fi TV trivia here. When you look closely at the pullback from the antenna complex in the pre-credit sequence, you'll notice much of the scene is of the Greater Los Angeles area starting from the California State University campus in Northridge, with the Oviatt library/Regorian state hall located just left of the superimposed antenna array.

OrvilleUniversity.jpg

CaliStateUniversity.jpg

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I praised season two in my previous post, but this episode was kind of a let down in some ways. The violence of the escape attempt felt out of place and the overall story felt uneven. Didn't really buy into the ideas that members of a visiting spacefaring society would be held captive, or that the Union would permit the Orville to remain in orbit for a month.

I did notice the music cues that felt like classic Trek and enjoyed them. Not sure about the new security chief just yet. Felt just a little too much like a carbon copy of Kitan. That may be partially due to the timing of when the script was written vs. the departure of Halston Sage. (Not really sure how that all works in terms of timing and coordination. ??) I do hope the show makes an attempt to develop the new chief and differentiate her from Kitan.

- Walter.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
A decent episode, although not quite as good as the last couple due to some questionable choices in the script. I really liked the excitement of the crew over first contact. Considering they'd talked with the planetary leadership for several days prior to their arrival you'd think they did just a bit of homework on proper etiquette. I actually expected the offered handshake to be the event that upset the planetary officials.

Kelly and Bortus breaking out of the prison camp wasn't in keeping with the rest of the show and the ultimate conclusion. They killed guards during the attempt yet nothing was apparently done or said about this. It was just brushed under the table. Considering the reactions of the guards earlier in the episode I also expected them to just kill the pair as soon as the gate was blown open and put the bodies on display as a warning to the other prisoners.

I have several issues with the planetary astrological system that are mostly nit picky type things. However - Surely the guards knew the woman was pregnant. Why did no one notice she'd obviously had the baby? And... with the prisoners apparently resigned to their fate you'd think that giving up a baby born outside the "bad" month would be easily accepted. OK... that was the needed catalyst to work Kelly up enough for an escape attempt but it just felt contrived.

I don't think the planetary belief system was well thought out.

I do like the new security chief but wanted Ed to ask her to open a jar of pickles...

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I liked this last episode enough but I do agree there were some issues with the story.

The escape attempt was a bit out of place and the fact that many guards were killed does seem a bit out of character.

I also think that the Union needs to slow their roll when it comes to first contact. I think just because a civilization can send a radio signal does not mean that they are ready to be among the stars. We Earthlings have sent a similar message out but we are still just as backward an naïve as the civilization in this episode. We can't yet accept other earth cultures (sometimes) so how could we be expected to be OK with alien cultures?

I think Star Fleet (Star Trek) had a much better approach for first contact. They would have studied the planet for a long time, gathering data on the culture, before initiating contact.

If you are going to have a strict rule about following the laws and customs of a planet then you should at least do some homework.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
My wife and I generally love the show, but also were both a little taken aback at the plot hole killing a bunch of guards represented. I'm also missing Alara (she was a good character, but one has to assume the actress has moved on to bigger and better things).

Last edited:

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
This week's episode more than made up for last week's blunder! :D

That was simply a truly fantastic episode! It just concentrated on the brilliantly well written main story with no pointless "ship in mortal peril" side story or body count à la Star Trek! It had unexpected twists and turns that truly contributed to the overall story, being both very funny and very moving!

This might have been the best episode of the show so far!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
When I saw the episode title, I was wondering if that was where they were going; and when the orchestra began their performance in the shuttle bay it was confirmed. Having viewed Family Guy and live appearances by MacFarlane over the years, his love of musicals in general terms is readily apparent. This episode was very enjoyable and was a nice vehicle for MacFarlane to channel that affection - which is probably why it was so satisfying to view.

Checking IMDB, the conductor of the Union Symphony is Mark Graham whose title on The Orville is head of music preparation. Nice use of internal talent in a perfectly suited role.

Lots of nice, small touches in this episode. Norm MacDonald in the simulator had me rolling with laughter. :) LaMarr's advice to Isaac was so stereotypical that is was really funny. Very satisfying final segment on the bridge of the Orville with excellent use of music, lighting, and FX.

Easily one of the best episodes of the series, to date.

- Walter.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My wife is so disappointed. All this time she assumed it was Brent Spiner voicing Issac. Tonight, when she realized that it wasn't, her face just fell.

Checking the Internet, I see she is not the only one who thought Brent Spiner was alive and well on The Orville.

This is a really good season so far. Hopefully by next week my sweet wife will be over her disappointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks