1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Orville - Season 2

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Francois Caron, Jul 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, I liked this one the most of the three we've seen this season. But I had no idea we were losing a series regular!

2. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    Agree about the regular. Hope it’s a temporary loss.

Loved the scoring, especially when they were zooming across the ocean (felt Seaqueast-y).

Was a terrific episode

Bryan^H likes this.
  3. Christian T Lee

Christian T Lee Stunt Coordinator

Christian Taylor Lee
    Really enjoyed last nights episode.
    I think this show has one of the nicest scores on television today and I am so looking forward the the 2CD set of the soundtrack coming out next month.
    Great show.

Carabimero and Bryan^H like this.
  4. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    This episode was so much better - why is she leaving the show? Weird that it was only 2-3 episodes into the season.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Alara has been my favorite character from the beginning. SethMacFarlane is basically playing his standard SethMacFarlane persona, and the other series regulars are playing versions of characters we've seen on the various real Star Trek series over the decades. But Alara was a character I hadn't seen before on a show like this, and the writing and Halston Sage's acting choices were often on expected.

If this does end up being her final episode, it was a really good send off. It was the right choice to devote most of the hour to her character, and the good byes at the end were really effective. And her gift to Mercer at the end was the perfect grace note.

With Robert Picardo (aka The Doctor on "Voyager") reprising his role as Alara's father, it was fun to have John Billingsley (aka Dr. Phlox on "Enterprise") play opposite him as his neighbor/hostage taker.

There have been very mixed signals on that point. She was shooting a movie, the romantic comedy The Last Summer, at the same time the second season of "The Orville" was shooting. But it's not clear whether she was written out to accommodate the movie, or she signed on to the movie because she had already been written out of the show.

I was hoping there would be a postmortem interview on one of the entertainment sites where we'd get some clarity on that point, but I haven't seen anything.

Jessica Szohr is joining the show as a series regular starting in episode six, and her character is the same species as Alara so presumably she's being slotted into the show as the new chief security officer, which would point to to Alara's departure being permanent.

But Halston Sage is still credited as a series regular through all of the upcoming episode synopses that FOX has released so far. And at Comic Con earlier this year, David A. Goodman, Brannon Braga, and Jon Cassar were asked point blank if Sage is leaving the show. Goodman first said to ask Seth, but then stated we'd be surprised about what happened with both characters (Alara and Szohr's character), with Braga chiming in that it's unexpected. So it doesn't sound as simple as Alara leaving and the new character entering.

The Internet's been blowing up with rumors about this for months now. The most prevalent one is that MacFarlane and Sage were dating, and it ended badly so they didn't want anything to do with each other anymore. But there's no evidence that's actually true.

Another rumor I read is that Sage had an allergic reaction to the makeup, so she asked to be written off. Again, no evidence that's actually true.

If her departure is temporary, then scheduling conflicts with the movie make sense as the reason why. Maybe season two is the Dr. Pulaski season of "The Orville".

But the radio silence from everybody involved in the show is weird. It makes me think either something untoward did happen, and a #MeToo story is going to trickle out in a couple years, or they've got something really surprising planned for the character later on in the season and they don't want to ruin it.

DavidJ likes this.
  6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

My favorite episode of the series. "Home" was near perfect, and I love the guest stars.

Alara is my favorite character in the series, so her leaving the show is a big minus for me. I'm not sure if I really want to continue to watch it without her.

And if the writers plan to have her return in later episode or season, I fear this may be the series last season so I hope sooner would be better than later

DavidJ and Carabimero like this.
  7. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I love this show. I hope it gets a third season, but sheesh, it's almost like FOX is trying to kill it.

8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Come on, Alan... you *know* that Fox does everything in their power to keep a truly good, innovative, SF series on the air!

9. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I'm going to pick up the soundtrack. I don't watch a lot of new TV, but I'd find it hard to believe that there are any musical scores better than The Orville.

Carabimero and Christian T Lee like this.
  10. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    Home was a great episode.

I loved the guest stars as well. Sort of mid boggling mix of different Star Trek series doctors.

I really hope the change is not permanent. Or at least, I hope they don't keep the interim Security Chief. A bit too silly.

Did they ever say what the gravity difference was between Earth and Xelaya? It would take a lot to instantly break the bones of a human like that. (I know I shouldn't nit-pick)

11. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    I think the torture inflicted and threatened on Alara's family at gunpoint was a little bit much for this kind of show.

I rolled my eyes a bit at the planet that can smash an aluminum can with its intense gravity, I don't think such a planet could otherwise exactly resemble Earth. And of course this alien culture all talk exactly like 21st century humans, I guess that's to be expected on a show like this, but I wish some more thought were put into these things.

But other than that I thought it was a good episode, definitely best of the season so far. And I also hope it's not the last we've seen of Alara. Loved the Star Trek doctor guest star pairing!

12. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I want this soundtrack too, but geez it seems a little overpriced.

I loved the music in HOME when they were taking the shuttle down to the planet. Wow. It's been a while since I backed up a TV show during the first viewing to hear a stretch of music. It's beautiful.

Bryan^H likes this.
  13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    HOME was an excellent episode! Easily the best of the series.

14. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I was just reading about the cast change. I am sad to see Halston Sage leave, and am very surprised that they are replacing her with another Xeleyan to be played by Jessica Szohr.

As much as I love Patrick Warburton I am glad his role was just "interim". Lt. Tharl was just too over the top silly for me. I am ok with a green blob character, but the two esophagus thing was just silly for some reason.

15. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    This Union certainly seems to have trouble finding decent staff among all of the member species! :D

Warburton's part was more likely the comic relief for the episode as well as a bit of filler, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him return as a different character. I always like to follow what he does. It's very rare that someone can do both live acting and voice acting so very well.

16. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Maybe they have a bunch of "pickle jar" jokes and scripts already written that they already paid for and didn't want to lose?

17. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Huh. I caught up on new Orville last night. It was nice to see the last 2 ST doctors on the same episode. It was also interesting to see Billingsley without his makeup for the first time. Its always a pleasure to see Picardo.

Sage might be credited for the entire season because it was standard contract for a series regular. I don't know it those have clauses to change credits if someone leaves a series.

18. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

For some reason 10 times is sticking in my mind. That would explain the need for a powered suit and a gravity shield for the craft. It would also (possibly) explain the shin breaks but I doubt that since your bones take that easily when you are standing up, but that is inline pressure and not perpendicular as when his legs broke.

That kind of difference would also make some of the feats of strength we have seen here do seem reasonable and not as silly as they might originally appear. Remember these feats of superhuman strength are from a human without massively developed musculature, like a body builder.

However I would also postulate that there are massive inconsistensies otherwise if we assume 10g. Boiling anything on that planet would be a lot harder under the pressure that atmosphere would have. In general organisms evolved to that gravity would have a super dense structure. That would make medicine difficult on the Orville And conversely, why doesn't she have to wear a pressure suit? Her body should be attempting to adjust or expand given the standard atmospheric pressure on the Orville.

19. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    One thing to keep in mind is that Gravity and Atmospheric Pressure are 2 different things. I think it is reasonable to think that higher gravity would result in higher atmospheric pressure if you have the same volume of air, but in this example we don't really know the air pressure. One could say that maybe the air is really thin on this planet so that the pressure is the same at 10g's as it is on earth.

It is the atmospheric pressure that dictates the boiling point of water, not gravity. (I believe)

20. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    But then the sky, waves, etc would all look very different on this planet (thinner, flatter). Things that fall would do so much faster (think of Earth compared to the Moon, with 1/6 Earth's gravity, but the opposite). But I guess there's only so much that can be done on a TV budget.