What's new

The Orville - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It reminded me of the movie "Love Potion #9" with Sandra Bullock or countless TV shows of the past that used the tried and true formulaic story type. Harmless, and fun.

I don't watch Disney's 'Snow White' and think of Prince Charming Sexual assaulting Snow White because he kisses her while she sleeps.

I think you are way off base Hanson.

I may be the only person in this thread to pick up on the problems with this episode, but plenty of other people have. I am not promoting some crackpot reading.

Secondly, I am approaching The Orville as science fiction. If it's terribly executed because the writers haven't thought through their premises, then it fails as such. I do not watch it through the prism of 30's children's cartoons based on fairy tales. It really should be smarter than that. If it isn't, what exactly is this show supposed to be?

And the entire premise of Love Potion #9 is that it is wrong to use a potion to make people fall in love with you. Even back then, the writers portrayed Tate Donovan as a creep for bending people against their will. He had to be punished to be redeemed. This episode had no such ethos.

Last edited:

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I'm with Hanson, at least with the resolution to the conflict. If the ambassadors had been incidentally exposed to the pheromones it would be one thing, but it was done intentionally. That was problematic.

I wasn't bothered by Darulio as much, he wasn't acting outside the mores of his culture, though he was being pretty selfish in not recognizing how all of this was impacting the dispute.

Last edited:

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
That scene with Dr. Finn and Yaphit was a bit disturbing... and intriguing.

Yes it was. :) I had already envisioned in my mind before this episode that at some port they'd hook up, although I figured it would be alcohol as the affecting substance :). I figured it would happen because of Kira and Odo.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I'm with Hanson, at least with the resolution to the conflict. If the ambassadors had been incidentally exposed to the pheromones it would be one thing, but it was done intentionally. That was problematic.

I wasn't bothered by Darulio as much, he wasn't acting outside the mores of his culture, though he was being pretty selfish in not recognizing how all of this was impacting the dispute.

It was done to save lives. The armadas quickly broke off attack when they addressed them and once the shared heritage was announced, the hard job of reconciliation was to begin.

If the show was to truly 'be smarter' as has been suggested, it would show that the dignitaries were probably killed (later) for their treason on the Orville and the armadas would continue to fight. Many lives would have been lost.

My question to Hanson and people who share the same disdain for the Orville's actions - what would your solution be? Their first attempt to stop the bloodshed (the 'shield') was already hampered because (Norm MacDonald's character) was prevented from entering the tubes. What option were they left with? We're talking, at worst, about two 'people' being harmed to save thousands, perhaps millions. They could recover. Those dead could not.

Tell me again how this episode was 'dumb'.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I just watched this, this weekend, and I'm with Hanson. (And Greg.)

Darolio knew full well that his being in heat affected others, including other species. He has been away from his culture for (more than) a year, and has had the opportunity to observe the mores, and attitudes of other cultures.

I felt that he was committing sexual assault. (And knew it.) Regardless of his cultures attitudes, willfully using a chemical substance to convince someone else to have sex with you IS a violation of current law.

AND using that same chemical to trick the 2 ambassadors was a HORRIBLE idea, and while it might unify those 2 "species", they will only be unified to attack the "Union" in revenge.

Ed's choice in this situation will come back to bite him in the ass.

PS. Darulio should be prosecuted for causing an interplanetary WAR! FFS, he interfered with GLOBAL DIPLOMACY!!!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It was done to save lives. The armadas quickly broke off attack when they addressed them and once the shared heritage was announced, the hard job of reconciliation was to begin.

If the show was to truly 'be smarter' as has been suggested, it would show that the dignitaries were probably killed (later) for their treason on the Orville and the armadas would continue to fight. Many lives would have been lost.

My question to Hanson and people who share the same disdain for the Orville's actions - what would your solution be? Their first attempt to stop the bloodshed (the 'shield') was already hampered because (Norm MacDonald's character) was prevented from entering the tubes. What option were they left with? We're talking, at worst, about two 'people' being harmed to save thousands, perhaps millions. They could recover. Those dead could not.

Tell me again how this episode was 'dumb'.
The Orville is a piece of fiction, and as such, the dilemmas and the solutions are solely up to the creators. The dilemmas and solutions they choose to put in place show you ideas they want to get across. The way I see it, the resolution was set up to turn two ambassadors from a macho, warlike species into a gay couple. And then, they thought, it's extra funny that the one with the bat'leths growing out of his head is a mincing queen. I'm sure Seth thought it was totally hysterical. But it's actually dumb.

Last edited:

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
The Orville is a piece of fiction, and as such, the dilemmas and the solutions are solely up to the creators. The dilemmas and solutions they choose to put in place show you ideas they want to get across. The way I see it, the resolution was set up to turn two ambassadors from a macho, warlike species into a gay couple. And then, they thought, it's extra funny that the one with the bat'leths growing out of his head is a mincing queen. I'm sure Seth thought it was totally hysterical. But it's actually dumb.

The charge was made that the episode was tone deaf and realism was brought into the discussion by way of sexual assault. If someone is going to force that level of realism into the discussion of a fictional show they should have to answer the question - "What would your solution be?"

I had to look up what 'mincing' means. What exactly bothered you about the portrayal - are you charging that it was derogatory towards gay couples?

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I had to look up what 'mincing' means. What exactly bothered you about the portrayal - are you charging that it was derogatory towards gay couples?

Well, not to speak for others, but, I would like to know why his personality changed just because he was attracted to someone of the same sex?

Do the writers think that behavior is "standard" for gay men?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
You may have noted that the captain seem to have also had a homosexual experience which he said he found disturbing.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
You may have noted that the captain seem to have also had a homosexual experience which he said he found disturbing.

What do you want him to say?

He wasn't in control of his actions, and changed his sexual orientation.
Why would that not be disturbing?

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My point was just that it happened, not what he said after, which could have been “whoopie!” for all I care.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

Actually, he said he was "weirded out" by the experience. In the same situation, I would be too.

This is a totally tongue in cheek show with some science fiction elements but some of you take it way too seriously. Whatever. I enjoy it. Provides some good laughs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks