The Orville - Season 1

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by SamT, May 15, 2017.

1. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Stunt Coordinator

Darin
    I have watched the first four episodes now. I'm still impressed with the production values. But as others have said, this show is boldly going were every Science Fiction series has gone before. This is comforting to many, but It may not hold my interest for an entire season. I am holding out for a script written by someone other than Seth. I've got a feeling that the show could break out with some fresh execution of the old tropes if given a chance. I like the actors and the characters they play. Penny Johnson is very good in maintaining dignity when all around her are acting like fools.
    I still am bothered by the apparent total lack of protocol when dealing with an emergency or new culture. Too many bad decisions are made to advance the plots. That's what needs to change in the writing.

2. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Stan, TJPC, Christian T Lee and 2 others like this.
  3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I just finished a viewing of E5. It was the best episode so far and not a dick joke in sight, even from green blob guy (although it looked like one might be immanent)!

The practical joke bit was very funny, both sides.

Visual effects look better and they've either figured out the face appliances or I'm getting used to them as they don't look as badly done as those first few episodes.

When the time travel aspect hit I was ready to groan but they pulled it off nicely without it feeling like a retread of something that's come before.

The open, visuals and music, are vastly superior to what passes for visuals/music on ST:Discovery. And there's no constant soundtrack getting in the way of dialog!

And no dick jokes! (Yeah, I know I've already said this but it bears repeating!)

I'm starting to like this series. That's something I'd have said was not going to happen after viewing the first two episodes. I have it pre-ordered at Amazon. Unless something drastically changes in the remaining episodes I'll be keeping that order open (and, like with all pre-orders, hoping for a lower price).

4. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Scott Backula and Patrick Stewart will be on future episodes.

SamT, Craig S, Bryan^H and 4 others like this.
  5. 245 Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I enjoyed episode 5, but episode 3 is still my favorite so far. Love all the Star Trek connections with this show. I kinda pretend it's Star Trek when I watch. It's harder for me to pretend it isn't Star Trek than to pretend it is :)

BobO'Link likes this.
  6. 246 Oct 13, 2017 at 4:09 AM
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 5:43 AM
    JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Episode 6 "Krill"
    Another enjoyable episode.
    Beginning scene of the "Mikey, he eats anything" was funny.

Episode had a nice moral message, but comes with a price it looks like.

7. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Well, this was that first episode written by someone other than MacFarlane that some of you were looking for. I think it hit the right balance between comedy and drama, with the scene where they were caught in the temple being particularly hilarious.

"Did it bring you comfort?"

"I think it did, man. I think it did! For me, it's like a back rub for the brain!"

The Avis jokes didn't get old, and there was that callback to the leg. Of course, we did get the dick word here. The last scene was very good.

Craig S and JohnS like this.
  8. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Maybe it's just my mindset, but I'm halfway through last night's episode and I am enjoying the heck out of it. I'm cracking up every minute or so (and I'm watching at work) and this is a solid sci fi story...even if it has been done before.

Avis, Brett Easton Ellis, that little scanner and the big book (hilarious scene)...MacFarlane and Grimes have great chemistry.

Christian T Lee likes this.
  9. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    My wife pointed out that the Krill heads burning from the UV light looked like marshmallows roasting. It was clearly the intention.

Christian T Lee likes this.
  10. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I laughed quite a bit (but not at the dick reference). You just have to allow them the dramatic license that all the aliens speak English and that the Krill, for all their alleged greatness, couldn't see past these two dufuses playing undercover agents with a fair amount of cluelessness.

Yes, the camaraderie between MacFarlane and Grimes was terrific, and the show must have spent a small fortune on all those make-ups for the Krill.

11. TJPC

TJPC Screenwriter

Terry Carroll
    Too bad they didn’t give the Krill a lot more teeth, have them speak very slowly and subtitle everything they say!:rolling-smiley:

12. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    1. That's how Klingon is actually supposed to sound. Any real fan would know that.
    2. Subtitles are the mature way to tell the story. Having every character speak English (either through a universal translator or through a hand-wave "gradual change" for the audience's benefit) is lazy, boring, and needlessly simplistic.

13. TJPC

TJPC Screenwriter

Terry Carroll
    Ah, but it’s not incredibly tedious!

Craig S likes this.
  14. 254 Oct 14, 2017 at 1:24 AM
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 9:47 PM
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Bottom line for me: whenever Klingon scenes come on in DISCOVERY, the pace of the episode drags in relation to the other scenes because it takes so long for Klingons to talk. My problem isn't with them speaking Klingon; it's the way they're speaking it--too slow, intrinsically, for such an active race. It rings false, IMHO.

With respect to THE ORVILLE, I'm having so much fun, I don't care that the aliens appear to speak English.

BobO'Link and Craig S like this.
  15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It also seemed rather unbelievable that Gordon had such intricate knowledge of Krill technology that he, without hesitation, was able to operate the shuttle craft, override the environmental controls on the Krill ship, figure out which panel on the bridge controlled the weapons systems, and operate the system in time to destroy the bomb.

16. TJPC

TJPC Screenwriter

Terry Carroll
    You know it’s just a tv show, right?

David Weicker and Blimpoy06 like this.
  17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    That still doesn't mean they should throw all logic and common sense out the window.

Carabimero likes this.
  18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    So what. People aren’t allowed to discuss things they think don’t make sense.
    A tv show is less legitimate then anything else?
    Also it’s just a movie and it’s just a book.
    And etc.

Carabimero likes this.
  19. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Stunt Coordinator

Darin
    "And I suppose your Mother was 'Just a Mother' " - The Fonz :)

20. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Actually, I can relate to that scene. I automate truck scales for a living, and I always encounter new gear that no one has a clue as to how to operate properly even after reading the instruction manual. I often get the gear working properly in a very short amount of time with minimal access to the manuals.

So the idea that Gordon would know how to operate an alien console makes sense to me simply because you don't become the fleet's best pilot by flying the same spacecraft over and over again. He would have been exposed to so many different control panel configurations over his career that I can see him figure out very quickly how an alien control panel works even if he doesn't know the language.

But as an away team member, the guy's an ass! Shut up already! You're blowing your cover! :laugh:

Craig S likes this.