1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Original Magnum P.I. Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Blimpoy06, Sep 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Message #101 of 109 Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Well lookie here, Darin...we've finally arrived at 100 posts! It's been slow going, but I appreciate you hanging in there with me. I've been enjoying getting reacquainted with these early Magnums, and hope to keep going, albeit at my slug-like pace, for the forseeable future - if only for my own amusement.

vlcsnap-2019-03-19-11h01m46s235.

Flashgear and Blimpoy06 like this.
  2. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I seriously need to pick up the complete series set....

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  3. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    I've seen the complete series DVD sets recently at Walmart. I didn't look at the price, but it's usually reasonable there.

4. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    About $70, if I recall correctly. I saw it when I was looking for Lost in Space in widescreen (which was sold out interestingly).

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and Blimpoy06 like this.
  5. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    vlcsnap-2019-07-20-23h12m36s212.

1.15 "Don't Say Goodbye"

Magnum is asked by elderly blind friend, Agatha (Mercedes McCambridge), to handle a blackmail transaction involving her granddaughter, Amy, and not dig for any further details. But when the blackmailer is killed, and several attempts are made on Agatha's life, Magnum has no choice but to disregard her wishes and get to the bottom of the case...

This is a pretty good one, buoyed by a heartfelt portrayal by Ms. McCambridge. The story is not particularly complicated, as has often been the case in this first season, but builds to a satisfyingly emotional payoff at the end. It's also fun to see an early guest turn by Ted Danson, as Amy's skeevy husband. Magnum is not amused by this guy's jealous behavior, and gives him the death stare.

vlcsnap-2019-07-20-23h18m14s6.

vlcsnap-2019-07-20-23h11m50s30.

Rick and T.C. have their usual brief but amusing scenes with Magnum, and - lo and behold - T.C. finally gets paid for his helicopter piloting services...by basically helping himself to the fat wad of cash Agatha has given to Thomas, in lieu of paying the blackmailer. (Thomas somehow doesn't make this connection until it's too late and T.C. already has the money in hand for "safe keeping.") Higgins has a few fun scenes, exasperated at having to act as Magnum's answering service. He's convinced that our frequently poverty-stricken P.I. hero has once again neglected to pay his phone bill...but it turns out that Higgins' "lads" are actually to blame, having chewed through the phone lines - a fact which Thomas is all too happy to rub in Higgins' face.

Our "Magnum Babe of the Week," Andrea Marcovicci (who plays Amy), racked up a decent career in television, appearing on numerous series throughout the '70s and '80s, including Mannix, Kojak, Baretta, Hill Street Blues, The Incredible Hulk, Voyagers, Trapper John, MD and Murder She Wrote, among others. She returned to Magnum in season 2, episode 10, "The Sixth Position." She's cute, and a pretty good actress as well.

vlcsnap-2019-07-20-23h13m30s251.

It's been a good while since I've dipped into this show, and it was like slipping back into a nice pair of comfy slippers. While it doesn't always deliver intricate mysteries and bruising action, Magnum, PI is just such a fun "hangout" show. I like these characters and enjoy watching them do their thing.

Blimpoy06 and Flashgear like this.
  6. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

She also gave a fine performance in the well-written TV movie Smile Jenny, You're Dead, which was the second (and successful) pilot for David Janssen's Harry O series. She also starred and played the title role in a musical, Nefertiti, which closed out of town but did get a (now rare) cast album.

7. Message #107 of 109 Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Thanks for the additional info on Andrea Marcovicci, Rick! I have the Harry-O season 1 set but don't have (and haven't seen) the two pilot telefilms. I'll have to snag Smile Jenny, You're Dead from Warner Archive at some point.

[​IMG]

Flashgear and JayHink like this.
  8. Jasper70

Jasper70 Stunt Coordinator

Harold
    Really enjoying the HD version on iTunes. Looks leaps and bounds better than the DVDs. Of course I have seen all episodes multiple times but being HD it’s giving them new life.

bmasters9, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  9. Jasper70

Jasper70 Stunt Coordinator

Harold
    My tv did a software update that had to do with HDR. The difference is incredible. Now everything is brighter and the definition is even better. Takes this Magnum in HD to a new level. Just happened today so I’m even happier than my post from yesterday.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.