The "Original" Godzilla R2 version

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_HR, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I just received my copy of the original japanese version of "Godzilla"(no subtitles or R. Burr) from CD Japan. I'll let you know what I think of it once I watch it. I don't think the lack of subs will be a problem. I know the basic story line pretty well. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

[​IMG]I watched this DVD last night. It was great to finally see this film in its intended form, sans Mr Burr. I thought the transfer was darn good for a nearly 50 yr old movie. It had only Japanese subtitles. The disk also featured 4 audio tracks, number one was the regular soundtrack for the film. Number two was what appeared to be a commentary track. Number three was a music only track & number four was a sound effects only track. I did not attempt to explore the menu. I'll do that at a later time. [​IMG]

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I find it a little hard to believe that there are no "Godzilla" fans out there! That is unless they are completely thrilled with the Raymond Burr version & the box set recently released.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Jeff, I'm thrilled that you were able to enjoy such an important film unbutchered. Hopefully someone will port one of the fansubs to a DVDSubber script for use with the DVD.

5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Mr. Kleist considering Toho's long standing policy about "Godzilla" that may be the only way. I seriously doubt Toho will ever allow this film in its original form to have English subs or dubbing!

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff, this is DVDSubber, a non-profit fan endeavor
    By no means official, but there's not much they can do about it given that you're playing a legal copy and are not circumventing copy protection
    http://www.dvdsubber.com

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Thanks Jeff! I'm content to watch this without subs or a dub if I really have to. I know the story extremely well.

8. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

So Jeff. Are the subs pretty accurate? [​IMG]

9. Jeff Kleist

Chris, many fansub scripts actually are very well done. The new anime shows have very poor scripts, simply because in this age of "digisubs", people race for an AICN-style FIRST rather than taking their time to do a professional job. Usually by the time you havea DVD they've fixed things tho.

10. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Fansubs can certainly be pretty bad sometimes.

You'll see all sorts of ridiculous mistakes like commas outside of quotation marks, words running together, and even weird abbreviations like "tho" for "though." What on earth are they thinking?

11. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I really wish this would come out subtitled in English on DVD. I've got the original Japanese version on tape with English subtitles, but of course it isn't an offical release.

Both versions on one disc with extras talking about the Americanization of the film would be amazing.

12. Jeff Kleist

And will never happen Steve. Unfortunate as it may be.

13. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

Toho and their policy on their movies [​IMG]

14. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

That's why I bought the Japanese R2 version.