The original Death of a Salesman with Fredric March-Why has it never been available ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by FrankXS, Feb 22, 2004.

1. FrankXS

FrankXS Stunt Coordinator

Columbia Pictures made the original film of Death of a Salesman with Fredric March starring as salesman Willy Loman. To my knowledge this title has never been available. Who owns the rights for DVD ? Were the rights sold to someone else ? Has any one ever known this March version to be on cable ? Considering that Fredric March, Mildred Dunnock and Kevin McCarthy all were nominated for Academy Awards and that Stanley Kramer directed it, you would think this would be available to the video world.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Frank,
    Stanley Kramer didn't direct this film, he produced it and it seems like it's tie up with several of his films that he produced at Columbia that haven't been released on dvd.

Crawdaddy

3. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

No, that's not the problem.

The rights to the film reverted to Arthur Miller. He didn't like the film at all and he has refused to allow it to be distributed.

This has been the situation for years, and I am too young to have ever gotten a chance to see the film. Since most of the Broadway cast got to re-create their roles, I would assume Miller's problem might be Frederic March's interpretation of Willy Loman, but that's purely a guess on my part. I do know factually that it is Miller who had the film withdrawn.

4. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

This was a title I tried to get released as Part of the Pioneer Special editions when worked there. We had a contract with Columbia Pictures. They said the problem was that the rights had reverted to Lorimar because of the Dustin Hoffmann remake. I went to Lorimar who said they onoly had the remake rights, NOT the original. this went back and forth for over a year.
    BTW - the film is wonderful. March is excellent and Mildred Diunnock is amazing.