What's new

The Orange British Academy Awards - BAFTA NOMINATIONS 2003 (1 Viewer)

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I was really scratching my head, saying "The Return of the King, not an English-language film?! Return of the King, Best Original Screenplay?!" because I missed the word "FILM" at the very top, and saw "The Alexander Korda Award for the
Outstanding British Film of the Year " under the first group of films, so I assumed that whoever typed that list up put the categeory underneath the group! Silly me, but then, I always did think the Brits were an odd sort of people... :)

Arman, can you re-format that list so the category headers line up better with the films they represent? I'd sure hate for others to make the same mistake I did :D

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Ian McKellen and not Sean Astin???? Racism I cry!!!! Just kidding. I did find McKellen's nomination a bit out of left field though.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
These are the British Academy Awards. McKellen is British and a knight, Astin is neither. It's not really that surprising.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
My surprise is that Ian McKellan is there at all for Gandalf. Please don't misinterpret that statement - Sir Ian is a fine actor and for some other roles he'd morr than merit an award, but the Gandalf role is not the best piece of acting from last year by any means.

The acting awards tend to go to Brits, but otherwise these are not the parochial awards you might suppose. E.g. BAFTA spotted Spielberg's talents years before Hollywood gave him any honours. You may also note that the movies are a far more interesting and wide-ranging a selection than we're likely to see at the Oscars.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Oh I agree, and I didn't mean that to be a slam at the BAFTAs, just a possible explanation. I frankly think they should highlight British contributions.

Re: the nominations for Korda British Film Of The Year: why is Cold Mountain considered a "British" film? Is it because it was directed by Minghella??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks