What's new

The Oppo Media App Started Working Again (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Back when Oppo announced they were getting out of the disc player business, their Media App soon bricked on the iOS platform. It has continued to not function through several major iOS updates. If you tried to launch it, it would promptly crash.

I used it to play back HD files on an SSD connected to my BDP-103, and for 2-3 years now I've had to turn on the monitor so I could control playback.

I had given up on it ever functioning again and yesterday was tempted to remove it from my iPad, but decided to launch it instead... and it ran... and worked.

There hasn't been an update to the app, but I'm guessing the latest major iOS update (This is on an iPad. I haven't tried an iPhone yet) actually brought function back to the app. I certainly never expected that.

I wonder how long before it bricks again.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have been using the app on my iPhone with no issues - worked fine when their players were still in production, when the shutdown commenced, and in the years since. I’ve gotten two new phones in that time and each new phone downloaded the app without issue and it worked without any trouble.

I wonder if the issue is either specific to the iPad or if it’s freaking out over some random combination of factors specific to your iOS account/device.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have been using the app on my iPhone with no issues - worked fine when their players were still in production, when the shutdown commenced, and in the years since. I’ve gotten two new phones in that time and each new phone downloaded the app without issue and it worked without any trouble.

I wonder if the issue is either specific to the iPad or if it’s freaking out over some random combination of factors specific to your iOS account/device.
Well, that's interesting. I've had at least two, possibly three different iPads during this time, and added an iPhone last year, which I'd never had before. None of them worked.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Well, that's interesting. I've had at least two, possibly three different iPads during this time, and added an iPhone last year, which I'd never had before. None of them worked.

That’s very interesting too. I’m not tech savvy enough to figure out the whys of that. The app I’m using is the one called “Oppo MediaControl for BD-10x” in the app store, not the one called “Oppo Remote Control” nor the one called “Oppo UDP-20x MediaControl” - maybe we’re using different ones?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That’s very interesting too. I’m not tech savvy enough to figure out the whys of that. The app I’m using is the one called “Oppo MediaControl for BD-10x” in the app store, not the one called “Oppo Remote Control” nor the one called “Oppo UDP-20x MediaControl” - maybe we’re using different ones?
Same here. The Remote Control is exactly what it says, just a virtual remote control. So it doesn't do what I need.

The only other thing that's changed is I updated the old AirPort Extreme (it was the last model) to a TP-Link Archer AX-55, but I don't know why that would make a difference.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The only other thing that's changed is I updated the old AirPort Extreme (it was the last model) to a TP-Link Archer AX-55, but I don't know why that would make a difference.

I can’t imagine that would matter either - I’m pretty sure I got a new router in that time, and then I moved and wound up with a different internet provider as well and rearranged my whole setup.

To be clear I have never tried to run this on my iPad so maybe it is something about that device or how it interacts with the software. That wouldn’t explain why it didn’t work on your most recent iPhone, though.

Color me stumped.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So…

Nobody else ever had their Oppo Media app stop working?

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
John, this will not answer your question (I never new this app existed). For the hell of it I downloaded the Oppo UDP-203 Media Control onto my Apple 12 phone and try to set it up with my Oppo. The app kept crashing before I could finish the setup. I gave up and removed it from my phone.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Mine has been working off and on lately. It went through periods of crashing, was working fine recently but in the past couple weeks has started crashing again. Glad I also have an Amazon Fire Tablet as the app has never stopped working on that.

DoDe

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
On iOS try disabling the "Multimedia and Apple Music" in the iOS mediacontrol settings

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks