What's new

The only real hard rock band: AC/DC (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've recently become a huge AC/DC fan. Of course, I always liked them, but for some reason, I can't stop buying up and listening to their stop constantly.
As far as I can tell, they're really the only hard rock band who played consistent, good ol' fashioned, dirty rock 'n' roll for such a long time.
I just picked up and am listening to their latest, Stiff Upper Lip. It's not worse than anything they've released before. F***in' A.
No, they're never going to be ranked amongst the Great Artistic Geniuses of all time, but that's what's great about them: they don't want that. They don't try to do anything else, because they know they can't, and they don't want to.
Most rock bands don't have the ability to do more than one or two things. However, one they "make it," their egos and ambitions swell, and they end up doing stuff just to be different. If you can do it, great. But most can't.
AC/DC knows what they're about: rock 'n' roll.
My AC/DC collection so far:
High Voltage
Let There Be Rock
Powerage
Highway To Hell
Dirty Deads
Back in Black
Razor's Edge
Stiff Upper Lip
Like most fans, I dig Bon Scott better, but Johnson's good enough.
I plan on checking out Ballbreaker, For Those About To Rock, and the live albums. Possibly also the Stiff Upper Lip DVD.
Now, everybody "have a drink on me!"

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I always felt Angus' tone was something of a holy grail. Anytime I'd plug my SG through an old Marshall half-stack (nothing after the JCM800's, thanks), I'd give him a nod. Combine that with his ultra-cool riffs, and you've got the makings of a good time.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
It's funny but out of the 400 CD's that I have (and it's an eclectic collection) I have more AC/DC CD's than of any other band/group/whatever. One hell of a band.

MikeAW

Second Unit
I like AC/DC, enough to pick up the box set and a handful of live bootlegs.

One thing you can't take away from them, is that they know how to please and they are dependable. That in itself, seems alot to ask of today's other Metal groups, who would die to have the longevity and stamina to last as long as this group has!

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
If you prefer the Bon stuff go and get "If You Want Blood, You Got It" Live CD. I finally got around to replacing my CD with the remastered version about 6 months ago and can't stop listening to it.... The chants of "Angus! Angus!" at the start of "Whole Lotta Rosie" still give me chills every time! Plus "The Jack" done the right way!!!

Also don't hesitate to pick up "For Those about to Rock" - it won't disappoint. Also, a sleeper of an Album is "Flick of the Switch" - a big fave with the hard core fans.

And run, don't walk to get the "Stiff Upper Lip" DVD. This is an excellent sounding and looking concert DVD. The guys are a little older but they still rock...

Welcome to the world of AC/DC!!!!!

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I was always been a big fan of the Thunder from Down Under and their studio stuff, (I even have four or five albums on vinyl), but someone threw me a ticket at the last moment for their Heatseeker tour way back when, and I was absolutely blown away: literally and figuratively. "The Jack" in person was just crazy as 15,000 people did the tomahawk chop with each repetition of Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack...

I still use "For Those About to Rock.." as a demo for my modest HT/music system. The cannons beat out those in the "1812 Overture".

Funny, AC/DC was on "Behind the Music" tonight (12/28)!

Well the wife and kid are asleep, I guess I may go try out my virtual headphone mode on my new Yamaha receiver. I wonder what I'll play....Maybe a little "Noise Pollution".

Ralph

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
The only real hard rock band? I'm guessing you haven't heard of Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath?

-Tom

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Can't dispute Sabbath and Zeppelin or a ton of other great bands....
I think maybe what was meant was the only current real rock band...
I would consider The Who and Stones as real rock bands too - so there still are some others currently around...
And to be fair I think there are some decent current rock bands around like STP and Pearl Jam... IMHO

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure what Lemmy is doing these days, and not to be hatin' on AC/DC in the slightest, but Motorhead was quite the real hard rock band.
I got to work the Stiff Upper Lip show here in Dallas. Damn, the flesh grows old, but the rockin' and the wizardry of Angus' guitar is as fresh as ever. I've been somewhat jaded with AC/DC since Fly on the Wall, but lemme (not Lemmy ;) ) tell ya, they still kick righteous ass in concert.

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
Motorhead are still out and about. They just released an

album recently, at least in the last year and

went on tour. I caught them at the House of Blues here

in Chicago and the place was packed.

AC/DC is still a great band to see live and always

try to see them when they come around.

Another one that is still around is Ted Nugent. I am not

a great fan of his but I do try to see him whenever

I can. He still puts on a great live show.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I saw AC/DC with Loudness back in 1986/7. It was the Who Made Who tour. They were pretty awesome.

The first album I ever owned was Rush Moving Pictures. Number two was Let There Be Rock. I still listen to that album on a regular basis. Whole Lotta Rosie is one of my favorites.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I second picking up "Flick of the switch" and "If you want blood...", especially the latter. That rendition of "Whole lotta Rosie" is possibly the ultimate rock'n'roll song. :)
/Mike

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I have been looking to purchase an AC/DC performance DVD and this might actually be the best place to ask. Which one is the best? Please include your thoughts on (video/audio) quality, as well as the actual performance.

For the record, I own every recording through Back In Black, but I stopped there because I preferred Bon Scott to Brian Johnson.

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
There are currently only 2 AC/DC DVD's out - "No Bull" from the BallBreaker tour and the recently released "Stiff Upper Lip - Live" from the SUL tour...
Anyway as far as picture and sound quality go the "SUL - Live" DVD blows away the "No Bull" DVD....
In fact in my opinion it's one of the best looking and sounding concert DVD's that I own. Don't hesitate to pick it up. Check out some more comments on it here.
You should like the set list as it is mainly stuff up until Back in Black and the other songs are ones you've probably heard before anyway - like For Those About to Rock and Thunderstruck....
If you're thinking about getting some albums after Back in Black I would suggest For Those About to Rock, Flick of the Switch, The Razor's Edge and Stiff Upper Lip....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks