The Onkyo and others decodingproblem in DD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danie_P, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Danie_P

Danie_P Extra

Hi.

Have anyone heard of any progress with the trouble all Onkyos and some other brands have then the play DD soundtrack with some movies like Pearl Harbour and Jurrasic Park 3.

Who is responsible for the problem? Is it Dolby or is it Onkyo?

I have gone around the trouble and take the sound from the 5.1 intake and then it works just fine but I absolutly hate then things dont work like they are supposed to.

And if its a problem that Onkyo are responsible for then I wants them to do something about it couse if I buy a reciver (TX-DS 898)in this pricerange I really demand that it works properly.

Anyone?????

Cheers

Daniel

2. Danie_P

Danie_P Extra

Hey!!!!... aint here anyone that got some info for me( or us that has the trouble)???[​IMG]

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

There are some posts on this. It's a DVD problem with certain DVD's. If your rcvr decodes any DVD correctly then your RCVR is ok. You always have one mode that decodes ok. This 6.1ES and EX is not supported the way it should be by the DVD manufacturers. I'm wondering if it will die and stay 5.1.[​IMG]

4. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Daniel,

The problem was with the way the disc was encoded. There was a flag in the datastream that was not handled properly by a cirrus logic decoder chip... becasue the chip was not designed to decode it in that manner. Dolby admited that the codec used was bad and told studios to stop using it. Also, cirrus logic introduced a new chip that would handle the codec properly. I have not heard of any manufacturerer recalling their reciever though.. There should not be any more disks that have this problem other than the 6 or so out there.

jim

5. Danie_P

Danie_P Extra

Jim.
    Is there 6 of them out there?
    I only knew about tree ... PH,JP3 and Atlantis...
    And I got all of them... yihaaaaa
    Damn!!!
    [​IMG]
    Well then I guess that it aint much I can do about it.
    Even if I think Dolby should send me a new set of funktional disks..
    Its pretty shity that we in Sweden got region 2 disk and they almost never has the DTS track on them...
    I need to start importing the region 1 disks instead...
    Thanks guys..
    Daniel

6. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Daniel,

There were a couple of others from Anchor Bay I believe.. Not sure though..

jim