What's new

The Ongoing Wal-Mart $4.88/$5.50/$5.88 Bargain Bin Thread (1 Viewer)

EricDW

Stunt Coordinator
Dropped into a different Wal Mart today. Once again, the bin was OVERFLOWING and very difficult to search. I put stacks of DVDs on the floor and left them there. I did not buy anything but saw several new $5.50 DVDs including:
The Whole Wide World (Renee Zellwegger, Vincent D'onofrio) (CTHE - Flipper 16 x 9 WS + P & S)
Girlfight (Michelle Rodriguez) (CTHE - Flipper 16 x 9 WS + P & S)
Lawnmowerman 2: Jobe's War (Patrick Begin, Matt Frewer) (New Line - 16 x 9 WS)
Hot Shots (Charlie Sheen, Jon Cryer) (Fox 16 x 9 WS)
and a bunch more "B" movies from Lion's Gate.

EricDW

Stunt Coordinator
At SUNCOAST MOTION PICTURE CO. (aka "Suncoast"... in NJ) There is a sale on Fox DVDs (can be found on an endcap) for $5.99 each. I bought:
Down With Love (WS Edition)
The Transporter (Special Edition)
I also saw Bachelor Party (Tom Hanks), but did not buy (cause I already own).
MY DVD COLLECTION!!!

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
How long is the Suncoast sale for? Not sure I could get in before next weekend.
Also, how is Down With Love?

EricDW

Stunt Coordinator
quote:How long is the Suncoast sale for? Not sure I could get in before next weekend. How is Down with Love?
Don't know how long the sale is on for. I think the last one lasted a month. You should probably call your local Suncoast and check.
As far as how "Down With Love" is, I would recommend to to any one who likes the classic sex comedies of the late 50's , early 60's that starred Doris Day, Rock Hudson, Tony Randall. If you like romantic comedies (my wife does), its definitely worth $6 bucks.

EricDW

Stunt Coordinator
Lot to cover here so let's get started...
Went to Wal Mart this morning and found and purchased the following titles from the $5.50 dump bin:
Still Crazy - starring Stephen Rea (The Crying Game), Bill Nighy (Love Actually) and Billy Connolly (Boondock Saints)
Cops & Robbersons - starring Chevy Chase (Fletch), Jack Palance (City Slickers) and Dianne Wiest (Hannah & Her Sisters. Directed by Michael Ritchie (Fletch)
For the Boys - starring Bette Middler (Ruthless People), James Caan (The Godfather).
I also saw (but did not buy):
Blankman (starring Damon Wayans & Jason Alexander)
Baby Geniuses (starring Kathleen Turner, Christopher Lloyd & Kim Catrall)
Desperate Hours (starring Anthony Hopkins and Mickey Rourke)
Miss Firecracker (Holly Hunter)
P & S & WS:
Blankman - (Columbia) Was a "flipper" but no more. Saw only P & S.
Baby Geniuses (Columbia)- P & S only.
For the Boys (Fox) - Non-Anamorphic WS
Cops & Robbersons (Columbia) - WS + P & S "flipper" discs. all I saw in the bin were "flippers". That's not to say that these will eventually become P & S only. 99% of the time, if it shows up in the bin and its from Columbia, you can say bye bye to WS.
Still Crazy (Columbia) - If you like this flick, I would go now to buy it. Almost all copies were P & S only. I found one "flipper" in the bin (which is the one I bought).
Desperate Hours (Anamorphic WS)
Now onto other news...
For the most part, all of the DVDs that sell for $5.50 or $5.99 / $6.99 have an SRP (suggested retail Price) of $9.99. My insiders have told me that Universal will be releasing new-to-DVD titles and reducing existing titles at the $9.99 SRP in November 2004. I have no information regarding the aspect ratios. The following is a list and the dates:
On 11/02/04 - $9.99 SRP "price drop" for the following Universal titles:
The Shadow (Alec Baldwin)
Legal Eagles (Robert Redford)
Darkman (Directed by SAM RAIMI! Stars Liam Neeson)
How to Make an American Quilt (Winona Ryder)
Lionheart (Jean Claude Van Damme)
On 11/23/04 - $9.99 SRP "new-to-DVD" titles from Universal:
Colossus (Eric Braeden)
Cloak and Dagger (Henry Thomas & Dabney Coleman)
Splitting Heirs (Catherine Zeta Jones, Rick Moranis)
Private School (Matthew Modine & Phoebe Cates)
Missing (Sissy Spacek & Jack Lemmon)
Sweet Liberty (Alan Alda, Michael Caine & Michelle Pfeiffer)
Commandments (Aidan Quinn & Courtney Cox)
The Cure (Brad Renfro & Annabella Sciorra)
On 12/28/04 - $9.99 SRP "price drop" for the following Universal titles:
Hard to Hold (Rick Springfield)
Winning (Paul Newman)
Beautiful Creatures (Rachael Weisz)
On 12/28/04 - $9.99 SRP "new-to-DVD" titles from Universal:
Iceman (Timothy Hutton)
Once Around (Richard Dreyfuss & Holly Hunter)
Raggedy Man (Sissy Spacek & Eric Roberts)
Tank (C. Thomas Howell & James Garner)
A Kiss Before Dying (Matt Dillon & Sean Young)
Darkman III: Die Darkman Die (Arnold Vosolo & Jeff Fahey)
Knowing Wal Mart and the bin, I would venture to say that they will have these titles in the bin before street date so be on the lookout for them.
Thats all!

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for sharing all of that Eric. Time consuming I'm sure.
Of the above the following are the ones that interest me.
Still Crazy: enjoyable flick and recommended as a blind buy for those that haven't seen it
How to Make an American Quilt: I didn't really care for this but I like a lot of the actresses.
Cloak and Dagger: I loved this when I was a kid but it doesn't really appeal to me now and I doubt it held its charm - atleast for me.
Splitting Heirs: I saw this when it came out and didn't like it but for some reason I'd still consider picking it up because of the cast and tone. Not a good film though if I recall.
Private School: Have never seen it but I hear it has its own incentives. images/smilies/wink.gif
Missing: I can only recall seeing parts of it but I like Jack Lemmon. How is it?
Sweet Liberty/Winning/Beautiful Creatures/Raggedy Man: Never seen. Worth looking for?
Commandments: I'd pick this up. Not good but decent.
Once Around: Good film (Lasse Hallstrom) and recommended. Will be picking up if I see.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
This past week I picked up A Bronx Tale for $5.50 and Bloodsport for $7.50 at Walmart. A Bronx Tale is a great movie and easily worth the $5.50, and Bloodsport must have just recently been price dropped because I had been wanting to pick it up for a while but it has always been priced around $15.00.

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone seen Prom Night in the bargin bin yet?
I haven't had any luck finding it yet but i did pick up Elvira Mistress Of the Dark during my last trip to Wal-mart.

EricTB

Stunt Coordinator
Found Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992) in the 5.50 bin at Wal-Mart. Bought it, best deal I've seen for it.

EricDW

Stunt Coordinator
This week at K-Mart they are having a 4 for $18 sale on DVDs. You don't have to buy 4 DVDs to get the $4.50 individual price either. I went over there to check it out because they have a history of advertising sh*t and not having it in stock. Today I was shocked to see that they actually did have the advertised DVDs, but you have to look to find them as there is no organization in this store. All of the titles included in the sale are stickered on the top right of the DVD package "$4.99". Be aware: Agent Cody Banks (ACB) SE is listed in the K-Mart circular as one of the titles in the sale. Now, I saw 2 different DVDs of ACB. One was stickered $9.99 and the other $4.99. The $4.99 ACB DVD is part of the sale but the $9.99 ACB DVD is not. You might be able to argue this because it is pictured in the ad / circular.
Some of the DVD titles I saw in the store for ONLY $4.50 EACH are as follows:
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Nia Vardalos)
City By The Sea (Robert De Niro)
A Bronx Tale (Robert De Niro)
Eye of the Beholder (Canadian packaging) (Ashley Judd)
Agent Cody Banks SE (Frankie Muniz)
The Wedding Planner (Jennifer Lopez)
Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda (TV) (Kevin Sorbo)
White Man's Burden (John Travolta)
Farscape (TV)
*61 (Thomas Jane)
The Rat Pack (Ray Liotta)
There's more but I can remember any more. The sale ends on Saturday, October 2, 2004.
Also at Toys "R" Us this week... If you buy ANY 2 DVDs, get the 3rd FREE. That's a pretty good deal. Especially if you take advantage and pick up a cool new release like Walking Tall. The sale also ends on Saturday, October 2, 2004.
That's all for now!

EricDW

Stunt Coordinator
Visited J & R Music World (23 Park Row) in New York. They had some new budget DVDs for sale.
$5.99:
Sex, Lies & Videotape (James Spader) (flipper disc - 16 x 9 WS + P & S)
$6.99:
Daylight (Sylvester Stallone)(16 x 9 WS)
The Boxer (DTS) (Daniel Day Lewis)(16 x 9 WS)
The Getaway (Unrated) (Balwin & Bassinger) (non - anamorphic WS)

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
For those interested in the above four they are also available online and Daylight, The Boxer, and The Getaway for cheaper also.

EricDW

Stunt Coordinator
quote:For those interested in the above four they are also available online and Daylight, The Boxer, and The Getaway for cheaper also.
Where online are these cheaper? Can you post a link?

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
All four, both versions for those that applies to, at Deep Discount DVD for $5.99 (well, Sex, Lies.. is $6).

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
WalMart Canada has added some new titles to the $6.88 bin this week:
RUSTLER'S RHAPSODY
DOUBLE JEOPARDY
KISS THE GIRLS
FORMULA 51
and titles from the latest wave of the Fox Martial arts series:
MR. VAMPIRE
IRON-FISTED MONK
Might be others. I didn't really dig too far.

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
I found Prom Night and Cops and Robbersons today.
Also saw the following:
Night Of the Living Dead/ Carnival Of Souls 2-Pack
Kingdom Of The Spiders
The Legend Of Hell House

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
The bin at our local store just got:
Talk Radio (one of the best movies of the last 20 years, snagged it immediately...solid transfer and audio)
Daylight SE
Total Recall SE (a steal)
Basic Instinct SE
Hot Shots Part Deux (Can't seem to find part 1 in the bin anymore though...I'd like to have both)
Cop & A Half (Burt Reynolds and a cute little black kid in all of it's OAR Fonz directed hijinks glory!)
The Anchor Bay Hulk 2-Pack with the cheesy Daredevil guested and Thor guested Incredible Hulk TV movies
And a lot more I can't think of...I know I am forgetting some new Universal titles. With the help of Universal, Fox, and Artisan, the bin has been restored to the treasure trove it was back when they first brought it out. I implore you all to pick up Talk Radio.

Users who are viewing this thread