The Ongoing Wal-Mart $4.88/$5.50/$5.88 Bargain Bin Thread

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Reaction score
Throughout the past year I learned that it pays off to check this bin about once a week. Every once in a while a quality title (to me at least) shows up for a few days and then is gone. Some examples are the Rambo 2 & 3 special 2 disc DTS editions, Titan AE, Universal Soldier, and Last Castle, all very well worth $5.50.

CraigF

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Craig
I spotted several copies of "The Spy who came in from the Cold" in the bin today...it hasn't even been out for a month! Too bad I already have it, a decent film.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Website
www.joshuasplace.net
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have a confession to make. I bought My Neighbor Totoro last week from the 5.50 bin. It's Pan & Scan, but I really wanted to see it before I buy the correct version when it comes out in '05. I can't rent it around here, and I wasn't sure if I'd like it, so that's what I did. Do I have to pray to the DVD Gods for forgiveness? :b

Just kidding.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Reaction score
I picked up for 8.88 each.

"The Day After"

"The Day the Earth Stood Still"

"A Smile Like Yours"

Clint Eastwood's "Firefox"

"Glenngary Glenn Ross"

Marc Bax

Second Unit
Reaction score
Not sure if it's been mentioned. But I picked up "Ravenous" for 5.99 at Best Buy. Very good film for the price in my book. Also nice special features (3 commentary tracks, and deleted scenes).

[email protected]

Screenwriter
Reaction score
My Neighbor Totoro last week from the 5.50 bin. It's Pan & Scan
I can't watch anything in MAR, it just makes me feel dirty.

Feel like I'm watching cable and the loss of resolution diminishes the experience as well.

Dumped my MAR copy of 'Excess Baggage' even though I haven't found a flipper copy yet.

I like the movie, but there didn't seem to be any point to keeping it at the time.

Being a comedy, I suppose the MAR version is open matt and you could just zoom if you had a WS TV...

[email protected]

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Persistence pays off again...

While surfing my local bin, came across a flipper copy of 'Sweet and Lowdown'.

Most MAR-only releases seem to have flipper versions out there somewhere.

If you keep checking the new copies being thrown in, sometimes you get lucky.

[email protected]

Screenwriter
Reaction score
New Arrival: Ghost Dog (1999, 16x9)

Located on an 'urban' display that's $5.50 for all titles.

Didn't see much new in the actual bin.

Still ticked that WalMart wasn't dealing on Goodfellas...

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Got an interesting title called "Circus" the other day. Seems to be a caper/ noir type of flick, with some decent names in the cast (I forget them now). Anamorphic, commentary, a few other features.

EricDW

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Visited Wal Mart yesterday and did find plenty of new stuff...
High School High - Two different discs, 1 flipper (only a few), the rest P & S ONLY. They also changed the artwork from the original. Looks like Columbia is losing the WS version so if you are a fan of the Zucker Bros. (Airplane), I suggest getting this now if you want WS.
The Stand In - P & S (This was always P & S, WS was never made available). Stars Kelly Ripa, looks like an indie from 1999 or 2000.
Men Seeking Women - Indie comedy starring Will Ferrell & Nia Vardalos from 1997 (for "completests" only who want to own all of Will Ferrell's movies).
Lions Gate / Artisan promotion:
Looks like Lions Gate / Artisan is doing an "in and out" promotion with many of their urban titles. These titles are not in the dump bin, but in corrugate in the DVD / CD section (usually in the front). Most of these titles are not worth owning except for a few:
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samuari (Forest Whitaker, Directed by Jim Jarmusch)
Eve's Bayou (Samuel L. Jackson)
Foolish (Eddie Griffin, Andrew "Dice" Clay)
Also - At J & R Music World in New York, I saw Basic Instinct Special Edition & Bad Lieutenant being sold for $6.99 (two weeks ago, I first saw High School High & Punchline from Columbia at this price). $6.99 is J & R's "$5.50", so this tells me to expect to see Basic Instinct Special Edition & Bad Lieutenant possibly show up at Wal Mart or Best Buy at the budget price in the near future.
That's all for now!
Check out my DVD collection:
MY DVD COLLECTION!!!
Oh, by the way, I did buy Ghost Dog, a decent flick for $5.50.

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Eric,

There are a bunch of Lion's Gate titles in the bin that don't specify the aspect ratio on the box. Do you know anything about them?

EricDW

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Aaron,

Not specifically, but you can look them up on the IMDB and click on the link on the left side called "DVD Details" and you should find the information you are looking for.

Which titles are you refering to?

Sorry I don't have more info.

Eric

Joseph J.D

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Picked up in WalMart's $6.88 (CDN) bin:

Mr. Saturday Night

Hot Shots

One Night At McCool's

if only Private Part's was anamorphic, I would have picked that one up as well.

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The R-rated cut of BASIC INSTINCT is in the bin now. I doubt BAD L. will make it since it's NC-17. I don't think the R-rated cut is on DVD but I could be wrong.

Platinum has a few discs there including SLEEPAWAY CAMP and THE HOWLING 4. Both are open matte but SC is uncut, unlike the AB release. I think this is the first release for H4.

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Is Loin's gate's DVD for Bad Lieutenant exactly the same DVD Artisan released A/V wise? I missed picking up Artisan's release before it went OOP.
It should be unless Lions Gate has offered an R-rated cut. They've haven't mentioned this title on their press release so I'm going to guess that it still has the Artisan logo. I've seen this DVD for sale at BB, CC and a few other stores so it shouldn't be too hard to get.

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
Reaction score
Blondie DVD Set
I just picked up a DVD Set of the classic Blondie movies of the 1930's and 1940's starring Arthur Lake.
Contains 2 DVD's with ten movies. List of movies included: Blondie, Blondie Brings Up Baby, Blondie Goes Latin, Blondie Goes to College, Blondie Has Servant Trouble, Blondie in Society, Blondie Meets the Boss, Blondie on a Budget, Blondie Plays Cupid and Blondie Takes a Vacation.
Each movie runs about 72 minutes each, the total running time of the set is around 720 minutes. Note that the box says the running time is 144 minutes, which is 100% inaccurate.
The quality is actually very good. The black & white picture is clear and sharp. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give the quality a 7 or so.
It even includes the original theme song for each film intact. The only thing I can tell that is missing is the Columbia Picture logo and the end credits.
I would recommend this for any Blondie fans, or anybody that likes classic comedy films.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebccalim