What's new

The One...The Only...JAWS (1 Viewer)

EliAmador

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Elias Amador
In honor of Jaws' 45th birthday, what are the 45 greatest lines from the movie?

Some of my favorites: "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."

"This is neither the time nor the place for some kind of half-assed autopsy on a fish!"

"Here lies the body of Mary Lee. Died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity. Not a bad record for this vicinity."

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
FX rendered with Commodore 64.
In honor of Jaws' 45th birthday, what are the 45 greatest lines from the movie?

Some of my favorites: "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."

"This is neither the time nor the place for some kind of half-assed autopsy on a fish!"

"Here lies the body of Mary Lee. Died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity. Not a bad record for this vicinity."
Another one- Hooper to mayor Vaughn-
“I think you’re going to ignore this particular problem until it swims up, and bites you on the ass!”

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I always liked Ellen's about-face, after first telling Brody to lay off the kids after he yelled at them for sitting in the boat by the dock, then she sees a picture of a shark ripping a boat apart:

"Michael! Did you hear your father? Out of the water now! NOW!"

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Not really a line, but I like when Quint chugs a beer and crushes the can (and we’re talking an old, tough tin can) and Hooper wordlessly crushes his plastic cup in response.

EliAmador

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Elias Amador
Quint, seeing Hooper's vast assortment of diving gear: "What are you, some kind of half-ass astronaut?"

Quint, seeing Hooper's shark cage: "What's this? Portable shower or a monkey cage?"

Hooper: "Anti-shark cage."

Quint: "You go in the cage? Cage goes in the water? You go in the water? Shark's in the water. OUR shark. [Singing] Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies..."

Quint: "You got city hands Mr. Hooper. You've been countin' money all your life."

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And the biggest laugh in Jaws goes to....

1593040201326.gif

EliAmador

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Elias Amador
Hooper to Vaughn: "I'm not going to waste my time arguing with a man who's lining up to be a hot lunch!"

EliAmador

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Elias Amador
Hooper, pointing at tourism sign defaced with a shark fin: "I want you to take a long, close look at this sign. Those proportions are correct."

Vaughn: "I bet you'd love to prove that. Get your picture in the National Geographic."

Hooper, standing on dock, to amateur fishermen crowded into a boat: "Then can you tell me where there's a good restaurant or hotel on the island?"

Man in boat: "Yeah, you walk straight ahead!"

Hooper, laughing softly to himself: "They all gonna die."

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
The first time I saw Jaws was a network TV showing back in the '80's - which obviously edited out all the "good" parts. I didn't see it in it's entirety until the regular DVD, years later.

Several years ago, I saw Jaws on Blu for the first time; excellent PQ - though not perfect, far better than the DVD. Even in HD, I think the shark looks halfway decent (though still obviously fake). The initial scene when it comes out of the water is still fairly startling, even after seeing the film multiple times over the years.

This is a perfect summer film. Realistic storyline involving the small resort town business owners worried about closing the beach (due to the shark) because of the money they will lose. This brings to mind these towns on the New England coast/other beach towns that primarily make their money from tourists during the summer, and then essentially shut down in the Fall/Winter seasons.

Jaws also features one of Robert Shaw's best roles. I like the scene when all of the townspeople are arguing about how best to handle the shark, and Shaw scratches the blackboard with his fingernails, thereby getting everyone's attention. It was ironic (though not unexpected) that Shaw's tough-as-nails/seen-it all fisherman character was the one that got eaten by the shark & the other two survived; despite the fact that Shaw was the one guy who you thought would be most prepared for anything.

I was amused by the incredibly ugly/tacky suit jackets the Mayor of the town always wore; his worst fashion statement was wearing the gray suit jacket with all of the anchors - I know he was probably trying to be hip since it had a nautical theme, but IMHO it looked ridiculous. His other jacket with the green/purple?! stripes looked even worse. Well, it was the '70's. I also grew up in the late '70's/early '80's, and remember the clothes, bowl hair-cuts, etc. Definitely a bad era for fashion, which was reflected in the films from that time period. I definitely wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything like that now, though I still see some people wearing clothes like these today
icon_wink.gif

Last edited:

EliAmador

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Elias Amador
And fittingly, Jaws was the second most popular movie in the country last weekend, 45 years after its first release. Jurassic Park (which always seemed like something of a Jaws remake with dinosaurs instead of a shark) was number one. Of course, that's due to the Covid pandemic shutting down most theaters, and drive-ins showing older movies instead of new releases, but still, pretty amazing.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The first time I saw Jaws was a network TV showing back in the '80's - which obviously edited out all the "good" parts. I didn't see it in it's entirety until the regular DVD, years later.

Several years ago, I saw Jaws on Blu for the first time; excellent PQ - though not perfect, far better than the DVD. Even in HD, I think the shark looks halfway decent (though still obviously fake). The initial scene when it comes out of the water is still fairly startling, even after seeing the film multiple times over the years.

This is a perfect summer film. The storyline involving the small resort town business owners worried about closing the beach (due to the shark) because of the money they will lose was realistic. This brings to mind these towns on the New England coast/other beach towns that primarily get their money from tourists during the summer, and then essentially shut down in the Fall/Winter seasons.

Jaws also features one of Robert Shaw's best roles. I like the scene when all of the townspeople are arguing about how best to handle the shark, and Shaw scratches the blackboard with his fingernails, thereby getting everyone's attention. It was ironic (though not unexpected) that Shaw's tough-as-nails/seen-it all fisherman character was the one that got eaten by the shark & the other two survived; despite the fact that Shaw was the one guy who you thought would be most prepared for anything.

I was amused by the incredibly ugly/tacky suit jackets the Mayor of the town always wore; his worst fashion statement was wearing the gray suit jacket with all of the anchors - I know he was probably trying to be hip since it had a nautical theme, but IMHO it looked ridiculous. His other jacket with the green/purple?! stripes looked even worse. Well, it was the '70's. I also grew up in the late '70's/early '80's, and remember the clothes, bowl hair-cuts, etc. Definitely a bad era for fashion, which was reflected in the films from that time period. I definitely wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything like that now, though I still see some people wearing clothes like these today
icon_wink.gif
I can’t stand to listen to the fingernails on the blackboard- I mute my amplifier every time that scene comes.

As far as fashion is concerned- watch The Taking Of Pelham 123- the jacket Matthau wears to work is HIDEOUS.

EliAmador

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Elias Amador
I read somewhere that they found the Mayor's sports jackets at a local Goodwill. So even back then, they weren't exactly the height of fashion. But I still get a chuckle out of seeing them, especially in razor sharp high def, so you can see every stripe and anchor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks