The One...The Only...JAWS

Doug Wallen

Lead Actor
Supporter
Real Name
Doug
Doing my annual viewing this evening. Still the perfect summer movie and still excellent in its execution. I still get wrapped up in the story. Would eagerly rebuy this as a 4K.

Reactions: PMF and Tino

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
#1 on my 4K wish list.
And that wish has come true. A truly spectacular debut for JAWS on UHD.

It looks and sounds spectacular.

On a related note. I’m currently reading the book by Peter Benchley for the first time after reading bits and pieces of it over the last 45 years.

I’ll post my thoughts after I finish it but about halfway thru it it’s startling how different it is from the film.

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
And that wish has come true. A truly spectacular debut for JAWS on UHD.

It looks and sounds spectacular.

On a related note. I’m currently reading the book by Peter Benchley for the first time after reading bits and pieces of it over the last 45 years.

I’ll post my thoughts after I finish it but about halfway thru it it’s startling how different it is from the film.
"Jaws" the movie came out when I was 8 and a little too young to see it.

However, I wanted to get on the bus with everyone else, so I read it... the "Reader's Digest" abbreviated version, that is. (It's what we had in the house!)

I think I read it in full a few years later but I'm not sure. "Jaws 2" was my 1st "Jaws" experience in a theater and I loved it, so I suspect I read the original in 1978.

I should read it again, too. Only thing I remember is that Ellen and Hooper have an affair... and that there's a line in which Ellen (I think) surmises that Brody has a bladder the size of a watermelon because he pees so long! :D

Reactions: Osato and Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Great thread.

I thought Jaws looked nice on BluRay, and wasn’t planning to upgrade to UHD. I might change my mind now. Like Tino, I think it’s a fabulous film that would go on my 25 desert island movies list. The extended scene with no edits where Brody and Hooper are pleading with Vaughn to close the beach is amazing- the actors had to be on top of their game to pull that off.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not 4K equipped yet but I’m thinking that I’ll have to watch the BD again this summer. I think it’s been about five years since I’ve last seen it.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I no longer lived near a beach when I first saw Jaws at about 8 years old, but after seeing it I was spooked just swimming in a pool. :lol:

One of the things that makes it click so well for me, that I haven't seen mentioned yet, is the clear and satisfying nature of its three acts. You can feel the chapters change as you watch, at least if you've watched it enough, but they transition so smoothly. It also helps that the story is about solving a problem, and the acts so perfectly mirror common problem solving: discover > research/debate > attempt to solve. That's natural to many people and therefore satisfying to watch. Especially when the problem here is so unusual and interesting.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I no longer lived near a beach when I first saw Jaws at about 8 years old, but after seeing it I was spooked just swimming in a pool. :lol:

One of the things that makes it click so well for me, that I haven't seen mentioned yet, is the clear and satisfying nature of its three acts. You can feel the chapters change as you watch, at least if you've watched it enough, but they transition so smoothly. It also helps that the story is about solving a problem, and the acts so perfectly mirror common problem solving: discover > research/debate > attempt to solve. That's natural to many people and therefore satisfying to watch. Especially when the problem here is so unusual and interesting.
I think another reason it’s good is because people behave logically in the movie. Mayor Vaughn behaves as he has to, as a politician and businessman. Brody and Hooper behave normally when they go out at night. Brody is logically scared shitless. Even Quint, well he behaves like the asshole he is.

Real people under stress.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
It's out of print now but the Jaws score was re-released on vinyl about 3 years ago and the gatefold has this chilling and great painting:

Mondo's JAWS Soundtrack Is A Jaw Dropper | Birth.Movies.Death.

You can see the front & back covers, the records and a bigger picture of the gatefold here:

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
I saw Jaws in the theater with my mom (I was about 10). Not long after that, I saw Psyco and between these two movies, I was scared to death to do anything involving water. Even using the toilet. Seriously, I asked my mom for those clear shower curtains so I could see what was coming. I grew up in Kansas, so no beach no shark, but when I visited the ocean at 13... I was not a huge fan of getting deep. I will definitely have to check this version out.

Reactions: Tino and TravisR

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I saw Jaws in the theater with my mom (I was about 10). Not long after that, I saw Psyco and between these two movies, I was scared to death to do anything involving water. Even using the toilet. Seriously, I asked my mom for those clear shower curtains so I could see what was coming. I grew up in Kansas, so no beach no shark, but when I visited the ocean at 13... I was not a huge fan of getting deep. I will definitely have to check this version out.
I saw Psycho when I was 14. My parents and I had recently seen North by Northwest, so Psycho will be a nice romantic thriller. OH HELL NO! I remember my TOTAL shock when Janet Leigh was killed...no...no...you don’t do this in movies. I didn’t sleep for two night.

Fortunately I was 29 when I saw Jaws, but I was taking a scuba class at the time.

Reactions: Foxman and TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I thought it looked and sounded fantastic! Such a great film. Believe it or not, my friend had never seen Jaws!!! After I picked my jaw up off the floor I asked him if he'd ever seen Star Wars. ;) Anyway, he loved the movie and wants to watch it again.
I envy that fellow because he got to be scared by Jaws. I've seen it a kabillion times so there's not much suspense in it for me any more. What's truly amazing about this movie is how well it still works after 45 years. I mean I love The Wolf Man but I doubt many adults watching it in 1986 were scared by it.

Reactions: dpippel

WillG

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I think another reason it’s good is because people behave logically in the movie. Mayor Vaughn behaves as he has to, as a politician and businessman
yep. I’d have to believe that if Jaws was made today, the Vaughn character would be handled differently. I’d have to believe that Vaughn would be a much more stereotypical figure (perhaps even reminiscent of another certain leader). But I have always appreciated how Vaughn was portrayed, ie, he’s not evil, he just doesn’t want to face the reality of the problem, which is a character flaw, but a relatable one. The movie does provide some plausible reasoning for this, at the beginning no one knows for sure that Chrissie was killed by a shark and later fishermen catch a rare for that area tiger shark (I don’t believe that Hooper’s bite radius analysis ever makes it up to Vaughn, though it would have almost certainly have been dismissed). There’s also some evidence that even if he did do all the “right” things, he would have been undercut by the town representatives (”24 hours is like 3 weeks!) He’s even allowed a couple of brief moments of compassion. It’s a shame that in Jaws 2 the scenes of him defending Brody and being the sole opposing vote to firing him were cut.

Reactions: Johnny Angell

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
There’s also some evidence that even if he did do all the “right” things, he would have been undercut by the town representatives (”24 hours is like 3 weeks!) He’s even allowed a couple of brief moments of compassion. It’s a shame that in Jaws 2 the scenes of him defending Brody and being the sole opposing vote to firing him were cut.
Ever since I saw that scene I've wished it had stayed in Jaws 2 because it makes Vaughn more likeable. He's ultimately not a BAD guy because he thinks he's doing right by the town but he made a huge mistake by not heeding the warnings of experts. The deleted scene in Jaws 2 shows that he's at least loyal to Brody for what he did in the original movie.

As an aside, "24 hours is like 3 weeks!" is my favorite looped line behind "SOMEBODY GET A GUN! GET A GUN AND SHOOT IT! DOES ANYBODY HAVE A GUN?"

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I envy that fellow because he got to be scared by Jaws. I've seen it a kabillion times so there's not much suspense in it for me any more. What's truly amazing about this movie is how well it still works after 45 years. I mean I love The Wolf Man but I doubt many adults watching it in 1986 were scared by it.
I’ll agree with you that there are not many in 1986 who’d be scared by the original Wolf Man. Jaws did have the advantage of having a real creature (kinda sorta) in a location where many of us have been. You are right, Jaws has hardly dated and the Wolf Man has.

But I still watch the Wolf Man every halloween.

Reactions: TravisR

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell