The One...The Only...JAWS

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I still don't know how the boat stays afloat with that huge hole in the hull. The boat is too small to have watertight compartments, I'd think.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A version of it does appear in the novel, but I don't recall the details of how they might have changed it. As I recall, Quint, Hooper, and Brody come across Ben's boat with no sign of Ben, but there is no dive under it by Hooper. There's not really any reason for Hooper to dive under the boat in the film other than to serve the suspense factor of the film. His only reasoning is to "take a look".

It's also discovered during the daytime, as in the novel the Orca returns to port each night after hunting for the shark. They don't stay out continuously, as in the film.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
A version of it does appear in the novel, but I don't recall the details of how they might have changed it. As I recall, Quint, Hooper, and Brody come across Ben's boat with no sign of Ben, but there is no dive under it by Hooper. It's also during the daytime, as in the novel the Orca returns to port each night after hunting for the shark. They don't stay out continuously, as in the film.
I read the book while in college around the film's release so I don't remember such details. I do remember that I thought the movie was much better and I hated a couple of things in the book that thankfully didn't happen in the movie.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I read the book while in college around the film's release so I don't remember such details. I do remember that I thought the movie was much better and I hated a couple of things in the book that thankfully didn't happen in the movie.
Yes, I believe it's generally acknowledged that this is one of the very few instances where the film is better than the source novel.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I still don't know how the boat stays afloat with that huge hole in the hull. The boat is too small to have watertight compartments, I'd think.
I assume that a boat like Ben Gardner's has an outer hull (that we see with the hole in it) but there's also an inner or second hull as a safeguard. If a boat designed to be used in the open ocean didn't have something like that, a simple leak could be catastrophic very quickly. When the shark attacked Ben Gardner's boat, the outer hull was damaged but not the inner so the outer hull has flooded and that's why the boat looks low in the water but the intact inner hull has stopped it from sinking.

However, none of that makes sense with how Ben Gardner can pop out at Hooper. The scare defeats all logic. :)

cinemel1

Agent
Real Name
Mel Matsil
It is a masterpiece and really invented the summer blockbuster. It came out when I was a kid and every kid in my school was talking about it, even though, seeing it now, I think they were way too young to see it (8 yrs.). Thank goodness they did a good job on the blu-ray transfer.

cinemel1

Agent
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I always enjoyed Jaws, from the first time I read the book and then saw the film. However, boy, did they have my number. I have bought so many versions of the film over the years: laserdisc, DVD, special editions, Blu-ray. I guess I’ll pick up the 4K UHD too. However, I feel a little like I’ve been taken advantage of.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
As I mentioned recently, I just read the book JAWS for the first time. Terribly disappointing when comparing it to the film. Very little of what made the film great is in the book.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
As I mentioned recently, I just read the book JAWS for the first time. Terribly disappointing when comparing it to the film. Very little of what made the film great is in the book.
I've not read the book in 40 years, I'm sure - and it gets so many negative comments that I won't shell out for a new copy! :lol:

I am curious to read it again and compare to the movie. Hmm... I used to have the 1995 LD boxed set, and that included a copy of the book. I guess I need to look around and find out if I still own that old LD!

Reactions: Tino

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
IMHO, there is just too much picking apart of the Ben Gardner boat scene. Spielberg said in the docs he wanted another scare, and he got it. The scene works for me every time.

Reactions: TravisR and Tino

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
IMHO, there is just too much picking apart of the Ben Gardner boat scene. Spielberg said in the docs he wanted another scare, and he got it. The scene works for me every time.
Yeah. I have no problems with that scene at all. It’s probably the biggest jump scare in the film.

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
That scene, and when we see the shark for the first time compete for the prize of the biggest jump scare, IMO.
In the doc Spielberg acknowledged the first time we see the shark got the biggest jump scare for preview audiences. He got greedy and thought he could get an even bigger jump scare and came up with the Ben Gardner head jump scare which succeeded. However the subsequent shark scene ( chum some of this shit) didn’t get the same reaction because of the new jump scare per Spielberg.