The One...The Only...JAWS

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
yep. I’d have to believe that if Jaws was made today, the Vaughn character would be handled differently. I’d have to believe that Vaughn would be a much more stereotypical figure (perhaps even reminiscent of another certain leader). But I have always appreciated how Vaughn was portrayed, ie, he’s not evil, he just doesn’t want to face the reality of the problem, which is a character flaw, but a relatable one. The movie does provide some plausible reasoning for this, at the beginning no one knows for sure that Chrissie was killed by a shark and later fishermen catch a rare for that area tiger shark (I don’t believe that Hooper’s bite radius analysis ever makes it up to Vaughn, though it would have almost certainly have been dismissed). There’s also some evidence that even if he did do all the “right” things, he would have been undercut by the town representatives (”24 hours is like 3 weeks!) He’s even allowed a couple of brief moments of compassion. It’s a shame that in Jaws 2 the scenes of him defending Brody and being the sole opposing vote to firing him were cut.
I didn’t know those scenes of Vaughn defending Brody were edited out of J2. The film would have been a little better with those scenes- I really disliked how Vaughn came off in the sequel- it’s as if he had amnesia.

WillG

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I didn’t know those scenes of Vaughn defending Brody were edited out of J2. The film would have been a little better with those scenes- I really disliked how Vaughn came off in the sequel- it’s as if he had amnesia.
well, there was much less evidence of a shark in Jaws 2 than in the original (though it was pretty ridiculous that the marine biologist brought in to examine the dead whale couldn’t differentiate the difference in teeth marks of a shark or another whale)

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
well, there was much less evidence of a shark in Jaws 2 than in the original (though it was pretty ridiculous that the marine biologist brought in to examine the dead whale couldn’t differentiate the difference in teeth marks of a shark or another whale)
Agreed, since Hooper in the first film had no problem over-ruling the local medical examiner who had apparently decided that Chrissy was killed in a boat accident.

I never really understood how Ben Gardner dies in the first film. Somehow his boat is still afloat despite a huge hole in the hull, and his remains are still inside the boat. How did the shark kill him?

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I never really understood how Ben Gardner dies in the first film. Somehow his boat is still afloat despite a huge hole in the hull, and his remains are still inside the boat. How did the shark kill him?
In reality, he's dead for the scare but in the world of the movie, I've assumed that he was bit and bled to death from the wound. Similar to the situation when Hooper and Quint are trying to pull in the rope on the barrels and the shark popped out at them. Except when it came out at Gardner, he lost an arm or something and died. Then the shark attacked the boat causing the damage that Hooper and Brody see when they find it later on.

Related: It seems like the prevailing idea is that Ben Gardner is decapitated (likely based on the fact that they made a bus) but how that would happen doesn't make much sense to me.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Related: It seems like the prevailing idea is that Ben Gardner is decapitated (likely based on the fact that they made a bus) but how that would happen doesn't make much sense to me.
Shark bumps the boat. Gardener leans over to check it out. CHOMP! Tastes like crap and spits it out. Easy Peasy Nice-n-Easy. ;)

Reactions: TravisR

EliAmador

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Elias Amador
I've heard the theory that Ben died of a heart attack when the shark attacked his boat. But I like the idea of the shark biting off his arm, and then he bled out in the boat. Later, fish came and ate his eye.

And what about his first mate? There was another guy in the boat with him when he went to sea. A young skinny blond guy in a cardigan. Where did he go? Did the shark get him too, and no one knew that he was missing?

I always thought it was weird that in the very next scene after they find Ben's boat, Brody and Hooper forget to mention to the Mayor that they found Ben's mutilated body. They mention the boat and tooth, but not the partially chewed up corpse. That might have been enough to persuade him to finally close the beaches. Then again, probably not...

1594424633554.png

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
I always thought it was weird that in the very next scene after they find Ben's boat, Brody and Hooper forget to mention to the Mayor that they found Ben's mutilated body. They mention the boat and tooth, but not the partially chewed up corpse. That might have been enough to persuade him to finally close the beaches. Then again, probably not...
Probably because that head scene was added after the film was completed, shot in editor Verna Fields swimming pool, to get another jump scare per Spielberg in the documentary.

• Agreed
Reactions: Johnny Angell

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I've heard the theory that Ben died of a heart attack when the shark attacked his boat. But I like the idea of the shark biting off his arm, and then he bled out in the boat. Later, fish came and ate his eye.

And what about his first mate? There was another guy in the boat with him when he went to sea. A young skinny blond guy in a cardigan. Where did he go? Did the shark get him too, and no one knew that he was missing?

View attachment 75333
I never even thought about that other dude. Maybe the shark hit the boat, knocked the other guy overboard, Gardner leaned over to pull him out and the shark ate the other guy & wounded Ben Gardner in one stroke. The poor guy is the unknown victim.

Also, am I the only one that took years to realize that that old man was Ben Gardner? There's zero resemblance between Craig Kingsbury and the head that pops out so it took me years to realize they were supposed to be the same character. I'd guess it was the laserdisc documentary that clued me into that they were the same.

Reactions: Tino

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
I never even thought about that other dude. Maybe the shark hit the boat, knocked the other guy overboard, Gardner leaned over to pull him out and the shark ate the other guy & wounded Ben Gardner in one stroke. The poor guy is the unknown victim.

Also, am I the only one that took years to realize that that old man was Ben Gardner? There's zero resemblance between Craig Kingsbury and the head that pops out so it took me years to realize they were supposed to be the same character. I'd guess it was the laserdisc documentary that clued me into that they were the same.
Took me a long time too.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Same here. That head looks nothing like Ben Gardner. However, doesn’t one of the making of docs on the 4K release say they did a life mold of the Ben Gardner actor?