What's new

The one that started them all - 1972 "The Posideon Adventure" coming to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
The news from a poster over at Blu ray.com is that Fox did a good job on the transfer and it looks and sounds pretty good. I'm sure others will confirm this once they have viewed their copies. Living in Canada I will most likely check for a seller on ebay.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Picked up my copy from a B&M today. Price was $12.96 plus tax. Glad to see their in-store price was the same as their online pre-order price (at least today).
Won't be able to watch this for a few days, but I may do a few random scene checks.
David.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I don't understand it. It's a Walmart exclusive, but I traveled to three Walmart stores in the Charlotte, NC area, up here for four weeks, and not a one of them carried it. I had always thought the exclusive was used to get people into the stores, not just go their web site. By the way, Best Buy is also not stocking their exclusive TITANIC (1953). You can only get it on line, at least where I am at right now.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ronald Epstein said:
Hey David!

You had me concerned.

Just checked my receipt, which was emailed to me.

They charged me $12.96. With taxes and shipping I am paying $15.98
Is there no Walmart near? You can order and ship to store for free, no shipping charge.
I found one today. My new lamp comes in next week for my dlp so I'll be catching up on a bunch of movies after that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Is there no Walmart near? You can order and ship to store for free, no shipping charge

It would cost me more than $3 to travel to the closest Walmart.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Brent Avery said:
The news from a poster over at Blu ray.com is that Fox did a good job on the transfer and it looks and sounds pretty good. I'm sure others will confirm this once they have viewed their copies. Living in Canada I will most likely check for a seller on ebay.
Got my copy at the local B&M store. I can confirm that the transfer is VERY good, if not excellent, very happy with the product and the extras.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/318440/the-one-that-started-them-all-1972-the-posideon-adventure-coming-to-blu-ray/60#post_3913587

It would cost me more than $3 to travel to the closest Walmart.
That's too bad as I usually order my Walmart purchases online and have them shipped to my local Walmart which is a couple of miles down the road from me.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
These exclusives are a real pain in the butt. I'll have to commute into the country(!) if I want to get this from my nearest Walmart. I know the BD will eventually go wide but, still, it's a pain if I wanted to get a copy right away.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I also went to three stores with no luck. Guess I'll order it online.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Picked up one of the two copies at my local Wal-Mart this afternoon. Looks and sounds great. All extras from the two disc dvd are available here. Glad to have this one.
Doug

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Doug Wallen said:
Picked up one of the two copies at my local Wal-Mart this afternoon. Looks and sounds great. All extras from the two disc dvd are available here. Glad to have this one.
Doug
Everything that was on the DVD was moved over to the blu-ray. The two disc set came with reproductions from the original lobby cards. Also it came with a booklet/chapter index that went into a little background on the movie.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Just saw this last night. Pleased with this release - looked very nice on my 92in FP setup and while I didn't do an A-B comparison I thought the image quality was comparable to Fox's Towering Inferno. The DTS-MA 4.0 mix is essentially a narrow stereo image, at times almost mono, with little to no mono surround activity (but that's ok, it is what it is).

While I greatly prefer Towering Inferno as a film, Poseidon put a smile on my face and made for a delightful evening of entertainment.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Felix Martinez said:
Just saw this last night. Pleased with this release - looked very nice on my 92in FP setup and while I didn't do an A-B comparison I thought the image quality was comparable to Fox's Towering Inferno.  The DTS-MA 4.0 mix is essentially a narrow stereo image, at times almost mono, with little to no mono surround activity (but that's ok, it is what it is).
While I greatly prefer Towering Inferno as a film, Poseidon put a smile on my face and made for a delightful evening of entertainment.
I was smiling too Felix. This is a real sharp looker. Looked fantastic on my 40" Sony Bravia. My first time watching it, which is surprising considering all the times I saw it played on tv and the fact that Gene Hackman is my all time favorite actor.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Been on the road for the last few months and just got home to a huge backlog of orders that came in while I was away- including some of my absolute favorite films of all time. Even with this huge bounty waiting for me, I still had to run out and snag this one first chance I had. And after spending an hour or two spot checking most of the other discs, this was the one I ended up watching start to finish. Same thing seemed to happen previously with the release of Towering Inferno. Something about these IA films that makes anytime a good time to sit down and watch them.
Solid disc and I don't regret the outlay of $14 more towards owning it (after paying $12 for the beautifully remastered dvd a few years back and only watching it once)- but to be honest, that previous dvd was a hell of an upgrade over the previous 4:3 LBX release. This one is no where near the same leap. To be honest, I knew that going in as I had pulled the previous disc out recently and was still impressed with it. But having an fp set up, every little bit helps- and this is a favorite film with as much rewatchability as any I own. Obviously the Bd is better and the one I will go to anytime I want to see the film again, but for upgraders, the improvement here is modest. For anyone who somehow doesn't already own it, this purchase is a no-brainer.
I'm also very happy I don't have to pay premium 'limited edition' pricing for it.
Another major catalog title gets checked off the list.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know that feeling....

You have a really good movie sitting on the table and
the perfect day to relax and watch it. What a better way
to spend my Easter Sunday than watching The Poseidon
Adventure on Blu-ray.

Been many years since I last viewed this film, so a lot
of it seemed fresh. As I sat watching, I couldn't help but
think that this was a disaster film made without any CGI
whatsoever, and it just blows away that Titanic film that
has crept its way back into theaters this week. Yeah, this
is one of the greatest disaster movies ever made and it
still holds up incredibly well despite the fact its void of
any computer effects.

...and the cast....WOW....what a cast! Always a pleasure
spending some time with the likes of Gene Hackman, Jack
Albertson, Roddy McDowell and Ernest Borgnine.

The Blu-ray looks fantastic. The print is void of any
dirt or scratches.

While I am not particularly fond of the Walmart exclusives,
I can live with the fact that this Blu-ray was more than
reasonably priced and it's certainly something that has
repeat value to it.

Going to watch the supplements tomorrow when I have
more time.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Isn't it amazing how Sunday afternoons -- especially the "bigger" or holiday Sundays -- are so perfect for watching a great film like that? For me, that's no coincidence. Almost without exception, Sunday afternoons were the time when my mom and dad would take us to the road show films, and it was always a highly anticipated, satisfying, memorable event, made even a little more special by the necessity of driving an hour to get to the theaters showing them. And if a Sunday movie was a regular local showing of something, it was invariably a "big" or somehow special film.

My Sunday event yesterday was Demetrius and the Gladiators. I had seen The Robe way back when, and thrilled to it on the BD for my first time just a few weeks ago, but I'd never seen Demetrius. So the pump was primed for Twilight Time's offering yesterday, and it couldn't have been more perfect. Fabulous!

Returning to topic, the Poseidon BD is up for viewing one evening this week.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Chas in CT said:
Isn't it amazing how Sunday afternoons -- especially the "bigger" or holiday Sundays -- are so perfect for watching a great film like that?  
Makes me think of a particular Sunday afternoon about 30 yrs ago, when I spent the entire afternoon watching the "Road Show" version of Heaven's Gate.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Sunday afternoon is the perfect time to watch long, epic movies. That is, if you're not spending it watching TV in somebody else's house. It's the only time I can sit and enjoy most of the 2 and a half hour-plus movies in my collection. Poseidon Adventure is the quintessential disaster epic - you really feel for the characters and their plight. When someone dies, it feels like someone you know has died. Now I have to find where my nearest Walmart is so I can grab this thing.

RCinOttawa

Agent
Real Name
RC
Check out the 'making of' at Bluray.com it's quite elaborate...
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8479

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks