What's new

The ONE and ONLY *OFFICIAL* STAR WARS (Original Trilogy) DVD REVIEW THREAD! (1 Viewer)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Before I rush off to buy this, one question: at the beginning of the initial Death Star attack, do we actually hear the John Williams music this time? Or is it still drowned out by the pumped up SFX? That isn't a deal breaker for me, but it has always annoyed the heck out of me whenever I watch Episode IV.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
A friend at work got the Best Buy set today, I totally forgot today was Sept 12. Now the Tin I really dont care about, but I cant seem to find a box set for this anywhere. Amazon.com has them all available seperately. Is BB the only place to get them all together?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll take your word for it but how exactly was it debunked? It seems the only way to prove or disprove it would be to see one of the prints that played in those 32 theaters and what are the chances that those specific ones are in the hands of collectors (and is there a way that you could prove that it was a print that played on opening day).

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

I believe so. The whole purpose of this release, in addition to providing some sort of copy of the original theatrical films, is to provide the SE versions in individual releases. Prior to this, you HAD to buy a box set. Now, you can buy the films individually.

Best Buy, with its tins, is the only retailer I know of providing any kind of a "set." As far as tins go, I really find that a ho-hum packaging concept. The tins I have from the Disney sets are piled up somewhere away from my DVDs as they don't really fit on the shelves. So adding another "tin" to that pile wasn't particularly attractive to me - especially when it costs MORE.

I opted instead for the Circuit City lithographs, FREE with the purchase of the individual titles at $14.99 each.

Harry

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

Dude's hearing things on that note. There's no way that's even possible.

As far as the Kasdan listing goes--I remember that being a problem in 2004, too, as Kasdan was listed as being on the commentary in the first set of data sheets, and then taken off. I'm not sure, but I think some of the packaging on the 2004 set still had Kasdan's name on the back.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
all the disney treasures are in tins.
none of the movies do though i dont thin k.

has anyone found all 3 prints

no Cc in my area delaware county pa and wilmington del have the Star Wars print.

Darren_N

Stunt Coordinator

I believe that poster over at AVS was referring to the SE version on Disc 1 still having the same problems as the 2004 SE release. The OOT version on Disc 2 has the correct score as the X-wings dive.

A question for those who already have these: If you zoom in to fill the screen on a 16:9 TV, do you lose any of the alien subtitles?

Thanks.

Darren

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

Correct. It's the Disney Treasures that all came in "tins." I should have been more specific. Also that TERMINATOR 2 release has a metal slipcase. All of those "things" are piled up away from my DVDs - they're not "shelf-worthy".

Circuit City in Springfield, Delaware County had the lithograph prints. I just came from there and got all three. I DID have to ask for them at the checkout counter.

Harry

Darren_N

Stunt Coordinator
TonyD,

I guess I take OOT to mean the "original" Original Trilogy. Maybe that's stupid. How about the UOT - Unaltered Original Trilogy?

Darren

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

That's exactly what it means. When the special editions were released in 1997 and modified again in 2004 for the initial DVD release, that was how one could differentiate between the new versions of the OT and the Original OT. Now we're calling them the OUT (Original Unaltered Trilogy). I'll be hitting Circuit City tonight to grab my set.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Got a question on the subtitles. I bought the DVDs today and watched the greedo scene. Unfortunately the subtitles are partially obscured on my screen because of the zoom.

However, it looks like these are NOT player generated subtitles but actually burned into the black area. Is this correct? The reason I'm asking is that in the other thread the concensus seemed to be that they were going to be player generated because of some of the screen caps that were showing up.

From what I've watched so far (just some of Star Wars), I've got to say this is definately better than nothing. I would prefer 16x9 enhanced but I can live with this.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

ok that was the one i didnt check, maybe i'll take a ride over.

origional original trilogy.

wow, ok. From the dept of redundency, dept.

how about origional theatrical trilogy OTT

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

Well, debunked as far as can be, given the lack of one shred of proof being found after many years of numerous "cutscenes" nutjobs like me looking for it. The burden of proof is upon the rumor's claim, not the reverse.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
I did some quick screenshots from Ep 4, the DC LD set. Now someone can do the same from the DVD's.

I think that the DC transfer is crap and I find it hard to believe that someone could have thinked this was a reference transfer in 1993. I have older b-horror movies on LD that looks better IMO.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, if the subtitles are obscured after I zoom in, then that really blows. I use black mattes and I was under the impression that I might be able to lower the picture with my widescreen TV's settings to get the subtitles to appear within the picture. Now it looks like I won't even to be able to read some of them at all, even without the mattes. This really sucks.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
O.K.

How limited is this Original Trilogy actually going to be?

What are the odds of this being re-released in anamorphic shortly after the sales of this units have run its course?

I think the tin can version makes it a nice collectable, but thats asumming it actually becomes a prized collectable.

Ozzie

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks