What's new

The One and Only Bandwidth Upstream Thread (XBL Related) (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Since it seems XBL is dependent on hosting, and upstream is most important when it comes to hosting, why not we see who has the fastest upstream so we can see who is best suited for hosting? Post your results here and we'll get a good idea.

Here is a url to an upstream test:
http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/fut.html

I took the test and here is basically my average (I ran it around 6 times)

205.5 kilobits per seconds

and my name on XBL is Bob Roberts :)

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
102.5 - It's about what I expected. It varies though, sometimes it'll be as high as 500 sometimes it'll be lower then dial-up. That's wireless for ya, but unfortunately it's all thats available where I'm at.

Leo_P

Second Unit
I'm at my brother's place, he's got a cable modem, and I'm getting around 240 kilobits/sec.
But then I ran another test, I'm guessing download, and got a result of 3 megabits/sec.
These numbers seem right?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It is suspected that some/most of the games run peer-to-peer instead of host/client.

If somebody with a crappy connection 'hosts' MechAssault or MotoGP, gameplay seems the same. Ghost Recon or Unreal, fahgeddaboutit. This would possibly be due to their PC ancestry - changing game logic to use a totally different way of networking can be a bitch.

I've found this test to be very good: http://www.dslreports.com/stest

It works for all types of connections, not just DSL.

Scott "E"

Second Unit
At work I get 10 meg up and down at my desk, from home it's pretty pathetic on the upload at 192Kb, so if I ever host it's from work.

In the next week or two I'm going to be working some long nights, so I'll bring one of my Xbox's up with me and host some games for you guys.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
743.4 kilobits per second

Too bad it is at work. :frowning: I know my home cable is capped at 128K up.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
A thought for all the speed testers. I was wondering if we should be checking our upload speeds from our xbox's instead of our PC's. To test your UL on your xbox, from the Xbox live menu in the dashboard, go to Network setup. Hit connect to run a test connection with your current settings. After it connects to Xbox live, instead of clicking on done, hit Y to bring down a box which will have your upload and download speeds.

I tested both my PC and Xbox about the same time. My PC had an UL of 325Kb, whle my Xbox was right around 100Kb. Big difference. I might call tech support and see if there's some way of optimizing the xbox connection. It'd be nice if more of us were able to host large groups.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Travis,

The built-in XBox test doesn't send enough packets to give a reliable indicator, especially on the upload side.

Trust your PC number.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Michael,

Thanks. That's good to know. I'll not shy away from hosting in the future, although I'm sure if I get more than about 6 it'll start getting ugly.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I have a similar issue with the U/L and D/L on the Xbox showing much less than I actually get and read over at the Xbox forums (what a chore to wade through that crap) about the questions over the validity of that data. One thing I would like to know from people is, what is your L: number. I usually get just under 95ms and want to know if that is good.

Also, what does MS use to determnine what your capability is? LIke in Unreal, the star rating, what is 2 stars vs. 3?

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Hmm. I'm not so sure I trust that site.
Broadbandreports.com reports my connection speed in my dorm as
Download 1834kps(though usually it's around 2500-3000 but it is the middle of the day)
Upload 2540kps

Compare that to the Bandwidth place results
In Apple's safari browser I got 10kps upload
In IE 5.2 for OSX I got 52kps upload.
I strongly suggest people use broadbandreports.com for speed tests as bandwidth place seems to be VERY inaccurate(atleast in my case). Though perhaps my network is buggy today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks