What's new

The omnibus UNIVERSAL forced trailer complaint thread (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
When Universal released Balto on DVD last year, I bought it even though it was P&S because I decided there was more value in buying it then continuing to wear out my fading VHS. It too had a forced trailer for the E.T. theatrical re-release. Now, I love E.T. and all that, but it made me even more disappointed in the Balto DVD to be forced to watch it every time I want to watch Balto.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I just looked through the old thread about "Animal House" and hopefully this one will remain open. Greg_M had some interesting observations about players and forced trailers.

I'm likely to get this, but if my Sony has problems with it, it's back to Costco it goes.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I didnt see any trailers with CASPER, but I was doing things 'round the apt. so don't hold me to it definitively....
:) D

Jason Perez

Second Unit
Hello people!
Personally, I would not consider holding off on purchasing a good title because of the forced trailers but I can understand why some of you would feel that way. Anyway, these "forced trailers" are present on the Babe DVD. You can fast forward through them though, which makes them go by very quickly.
Without a doubt, this is very annoying, and unfortunately, it seems to be on every recent Universal release :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: Hopefully, they are listening.....

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Just so there is not doubt or misunderstanding on the subject, let me say that the new Babe DVD does indeed have forced trailers, truly forced. Pressing {Menu} does not bypass them, pressing {Stop} followed by {Play} does not bypass them and pressing {Skip} does not bypass them. The only way to avoid them is to hit fast-forward.
This is extremely inexcusable on the part of Universal! Now, fortunately for the studio Babe is an exceptional film and I am personally willing to put up with this nonsense so that I can have the excellent anamorphically-enhanced widescreen presentation. However, undoubtedly there will be movies in the future that I will be "on the fence" about. I can safely say that if those DVDs have forced trailers you can forget about getting business from me. What's so hard about authoring a disc so that you can hit the {Menu} button to bypass trailers, anyway?!?
Universal, you better get with the program...and I mean FAST!!!!!
Just my $.02,
mark b.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I think what we should do is call Universal and voice our displeasure with the forced trailers. I did it for "The Breakfast Club & Weird Science". And I will do it for "Babe". Also writing via snail mail will help too. And don't call/write just once. Call/write each time we buy a disc with forced trailers. I think if enough people complain and do it politely, Universal will stop this horrible practice. This is stupid. On my 2 players(RCA 5220 & Panny 35S)ALL THE BUTTONS ARE DISABLED. I can't even fast forward if I wanted too. So I am forced to sit through the trailers. Ugh.
So if you people are game and would like to voice your disgust with Universal, here is the Customer Service# 972-293-5903
Joe

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Mark, you should post those exact same comments int he Studio Feedback area. And while we are at it, where are the inserts so I can see the chapter stops on hardcopy? Both Babe and Casper are missing them.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have the hulk tv pilot.. there is one trailer in front of the movie, but I can bypass it. can anyone else bypass that one too? I wonder if the hulk movie will have forced trailers.

JACOB

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Personally, I make sure to get to the theater early so I can see all the trailers. Naturally, it doesn't bother me to see them at home either. My player skips through them if I want, so it's really a non issue in my house.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, was considering getting Babe and probably still will because it is a great film, Forced trailers are not a good thing. BUT...

Even worse though is no insert - This has been driving me up a friggin' wall for a long time now!!! Not everything has to be a 40 page booklet like a Criterion Rashomon or my latest Wilco documentary... Just at least give us one dang page with the chapter stops listed or something!!! Don't understand why any studio/company would rather their customers feel anger or disappointment towards them rather than even basic satisfaction for a one page, chapter-stop listing...

I guess I look at it this way - If there are some people who can question hitting FF three times to get through all the forced previews, I can REALLY question hitting 'Menu, down, down, down, Scene Selection, over, over, down, down, enter, over, enter, over, enter" ----- Heaven only knows, maybe 15 buttons, just to figure out how the distributor had decided to split up my purchased films scenes....

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Don't understand why any studio/company would rather their customers feel anger or disappointment towards them rather than even basic satisfaction for a one page, chapter-stop listing...
Maybe they figure that the folks who will feel "anger or disappointment" over the lack of an insert are the lunatic fringe?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
For me inserts arent a big deal, but I do agree they should be included.

One piece of paper listing the chapters will suffice.

Terry H

Second Unit
I'm not picking on anyone personally but sometimes you guys really crack me up. You bitch and moan but you all said you'll still buy the movie. Yeah, that'll send a message. :rolleyes

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
The only way to avoid them is to hit fast-forward.
Oh, the horror. :laugh:
Has anyone tried starting the film from the chapter listing? That works sometimes.
Seriously, this kind of thing is, to me, only mildly annoying. If I can bypass the trailers with fast forward, it's not the end of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks