What's new

The omnibus UNIVERSAL forced trailer complaint thread (2 Viewers)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
ok,

it started with The Grinch - 1 trailer.
others with Scorpion King trailer.

now K-9: P.I. has 4 trailers play before the movie!

I much prefer their showcase feature.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Most Universal discs do this now. My screeners of Dragonfly and Monsoon Wedding have these trailers after you hit the "play movie" button. Though, they can be skipped (or just go to chapter 1 from the main menu).

Jason

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I don't know why people have such a problem with trailers. I actually like them, it makes it feel more like a theater experience. Plus it gives me a chance to pop some popcorn and get my soda.:)

Rob T

Screenwriter
I like trailers.

I do NOT like trailers that play without me having selected them from the menu.
I feel the same way. By the time, I got the disc in the player, I already got all my snacks ready so I just want to get on wtih the movie.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I can even deal with the trailers before the film, but only if I have an option to skip them.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Forced trailers are never a good choice. But, since the studios are still gonna do it, why can't they make them more presentable? Most of the trailers are not enhanced and use Pro-Logic audio. If you are going to force us to watch them upfront, at least give em the 16x9 treatment and 5.1 or better audio. :)
Bruce

Robert Woods

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know why people have such a problem with trailers. I actually like them, it makes it feel more like a theater experience. Plus it gives me a chance to pop some popcorn and get my soda.
Yeah, right, like one wouldn't be able to watch TV and also take care of one's toilet needs without commercials :D
So not only trailers but we should have the local ads for Shawn's Shoe Shop and Denny's Dentures - yeah, right.
Want some used bubble gum to put under your living room seat and for the rug?

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
The main reason I don't understand such things is that they are time-based. I mean you're going to own the film so what 5 years from now you still need to see "coming soon" ads for films that have been in general release for ages? What's the point?

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

What a brilliant idea!!!

Isnt it amazing that some of the most obviously simple things are totally overlooked by the studios? My WEGA TV does not have the autoswitching feature to detect the difference between 16x9 enhahced and not, and when I watch these Universal discs with the trailers before hand, they show up squished, and I have to wait til the main feature to see them in the right aspect ratio. Oh well, like already mentioned, I just skip them anyways, but it makes the whole idea of advertising seem like they dont put much effort into it, and if they dont care that much about it, why do it in the first place? I guess thats a question we'll never know the answer to.

Robert Woods

Stunt Coordinator
Forced trailers MEANS they are 'forced' - one CANNOT fast-forward thru them or skip them. And they are abominable.

IMO even 'voluntary' ones should be put separately on the menu.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The main reason I don't understand such things is that they are time-based. I mean you're going to own the film so what 5 years from now you still need to see "coming soon" ads for films that have been in general release for ages? What's the point?
The point is that MANY more people will watch these movies when first released than later. That's due to rentals and the simple newness of the projects. Of course people will watch them later as well, but not in the same numbers - you're getting a big block of viewers all at once.

Besides, what does Universal care if its trailers are out of date two years from now? It's still free advertising that might prompt someone to buy the product...

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Luckily, none of my discs have 'forced' trailers (trailers that cannot be skipped in any way). It's a minor inconvenience, nothing more, to hit the 'skip' button once or twice.
But if forced trailers start showing up ... :angry:

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I have yet to see trailers that are "forced" in that I cannot pass them in some way (fast-forward, skip, or at the very worst stop and then hit menu -- all things I try on international copyright warnings as well with varying degrees of success).

I will flat-out not purchase a disc that somehow forces me to watch trailers like some discs force me to see stupid copyright warnings -- at least those only last a few seconds. I think it would be a public service to treat unskippable trailers like defects in the disc and publish them when they are discovered (stating region as well, natch), because I think accepting that much removal of choice from the home viewing experience is unwarranted and should be stopped in case more suits think this is an acceptable practice.

Mark Hanson

Agent
I do not mind seeing trailers, but at my choice. The theater experience is nice, but it gets old as you listen to the 'coming in the summer of 1996' on a couple old VHS tapes I watched with my daughter last weekend. If you are forced to watch it YUCK.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Which disc's exactly have trailers that are "locked" and can not be chapter skipped past? I rented U96 and I remember being able to skip past the opening "Universal" commercial.

Paul W

Second Unit
I cannot find anything about this in the search page, but I cannot believe I am the first person to comment on the forced trailers for every High School Reunion movie that is coming out.
WTF???????
:thumbsdown: :angry:
If there is a thread already out there, can someone point me to it?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Paul,

Forced trailers have been a common practice for Universal. It's not bad enought that they give us releases chock full of glitches and error, they need to force us to watch trailers for their movies as well.

I just watched Three O'Clock High and The Breakfast Club last night, and neither would even let me stop the disc during the trailer. Ihad to fast forward through.

If I didn't know any better I'd swear Universal is intentionally trying to lose customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks