What's new

The Old Man (1 Viewer)

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, this new series (I watched it on Hulu and it is an FX show) features Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow and whomever it was that decided to put them in a show together was having a brilliant day. Two episodes in and they are both, as usual, fantastic and have more screen presence than most of today's younger actors. Also, Martin Scorsese should take notes, they use two younger actors to play the Bridges and Lithgow characters earlier in their lives and it works great. No expensive de-aging effects required, thank you.

I won't get into any details in this first post except to say the show is well worth checking out and so far stocked with a bunch of older actors you will, or I, recognized.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I viewed both episodes the night of the premiere and enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought that just about everything in the series worked well in the first two episodes. The story felt "tight" and the pacing of the story didn't lag or feel rushed. Bridges, Liithgow, and Brenneman all turned in strong performances. The younger versions of Chase and Harper were well realized. ( I think they "cheated" and dubbed Lithgow's voice over the scenes featuring the younger version of his character, but I haven't researched it via the web ).

About the only reservations I have at this point are:

The amount of punishment that Chase (Bridges) who is in his early '70s could absorb. It didn't take me out of the series, and he did show the effects of the violence, but it was sort of in the back of my mind at times.

Based on the previews for upcoming episodes it looks like the series is going to become more 'exotic' which is fine, but I hope it maintains credibility.

The scene where Bridges and Zoe are at the traffic stop was well done. It had me questioning whether what was shown happened or not, but then the situation is resolved. Really a great scene.

- Walter.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I really enjoyed the first two episodes. The opening, going-to-the-bathroom montage could have been filmed at my house. They even got the times about right.

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Well, this new series (I watched it on Hulu and it is an FX show) features Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow and whomever it was that decided to put them in a show together was having a brilliant day. Two episodes in and they are both, as usual, fantastic and have more screen presence than most of today's younger actors. Also, Martin Scorsese should take notes, they use two younger actors to play the Bridges and Lithgow characters earlier in their lives and it works great. No expensive de-aging effects required, thank you.

I won't get into any details in this first post except to say the show is well worth checking out and so far stocked with a bunch of older actors you will, or I, recognized.
I wholeheartedly agree. I haven't watched episode 2 yet, but I happened to see its existence when I was on Hulu to watch The Orville, so after the latest Orville ep was over, I fired up episode 1 of The Old Man. It's got a really nice slow-burn thriller vibe to it, which I enjoy, and Bridges and Lithgow are indeed fantastic. Like you I was amazed by the actor who played the younger Bridges (I haven't seen the actor for young Lithgow yet), and I thought not only did he look enough like a young Jeff Bridges, but he also had Bridges' mannerisms down.

A very pleasant surprise, all in all, and I'm looking forward to watching more of it.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I just heard about this series just about 30 minutes before seeing the thread. I'm intrigued. Will definitely give a watch. I"ve always been a fan of Jeff Bridges - even before he was "The Dude." He's one of those very good actors that goes under the radar quite a bit when it comes to critical acclaim. Or, at least that's my perception.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Watched episode three earlier today and it was very consistent (in terms of quality) with the first two episodes. Some of the reveals were a bit predictable, but not to the detriment of the series.

I kind of thought that the reveal of Emily would go the way it did in episode three. Also, the plot element of a younger Dan Chase having an affair with Hamzad's wife didn't terribly surprise me, although the show did a good job of explaining her backstory involving an aborted immigration to Ohio and the appeal of a Western lifestyle to her.

Very effective cliff hanger ending. Schroedinger's Trunk? :)

I know that filming of the first three episodes concluded in March 2020 and was suspended due to Covid-19. Bridges had to deal with cancer and fighting Covid which delayed shooting the series for a number of months. I do wonder if the gap in production will be noticeable when the final three episodes are aired starting with episode four next week. I am not expecting anything dramatic, but I do wonder if there will be subtleties in the performances that could be attributed to the delay. Maybe not.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Viewed episode four earlier today. Felt like a pretty seamless transition into the first AC (After Covid) episode.

The plot continues to develop and the show still feels well constructed. We continue to get a dual storyline narrative with events in Afghanistan during the Soviet occupation and contemporary times. While it was clear that Harper had no idea about Angela Adams "other" identity this episode shows his suspicions developing especially within the context of his conversation with Waters, as he (Harper) prepares to leave the U.S. to meet Hamzad. With Emily in tow.

Right about now I think Chase is regretting entangling himself in Zoe's life. :)

- Walter.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Episode three was incredible television.
The revel about Emily was perfectly handled.

This series is moviing quickly up the charts for me as a great tv show.
I wonder if Harper knows about Emily.
He did a great job “pretending” to be surprised when Emily was revealed as having committed suicide years ago.

The casting of the actors playing young Harper and young Chase
are uncanny in their resemblance to the older current age of those two guys.

Young Leem Lubany as Young Abby is the spitting image of Jami Gertz.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I missed episode 1. Anyone know when it will be re-broadcast? Not streaming. Broadcast.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Caught up on episode V earlier today. Interesting changes in the relationship between Zoe and Chase. Best moments in the episode were aboard the jet with Harper and Angela/Emily. The two actors were throwing figurative haymakers at one another. A great dramatic evaluation of the state of their relationship (to use that word again.)

Also an interesting scene with Bote that provides a bit more background on some of the plot details. (I haven't seen Joel Grey in anything in years, and he was very effective in his brief time on screen in this episode.)

Two episodes left in season one. I anticipate something of a cliff hanger ending to season one with Chase meeting a contemporary Faraz Hamzad.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well, there was a meeting with Hamzad near the finale of season one. Just not the one I expected. :)

Enjoyable first season, although I sort of felt like the show lost a bit of momentum in the final two episodes. Zoe was kind of a dangling plot thread which made her storyline feel a bit incomplete and raise questions about season two.

I hope we get to see the dogs again in season two. :)

- Walter.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Finally got around to seeing the final episode of the season. I had thought it was a one season and done, but it just ended with a critical answer for us, but it seemed there shouldn't be all that much more to tell. I guess there is. Glad that it has been renewed.

Mikael Soderholm

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
It only just came here to Scandinavia, first two episodes up on D+, and I loved it. Slow pacing, great dialogue, and beautiful dogs. Feels a bit like a Le Carré script, although I know it's not. Can't wait for the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajays23
Recent bookmarks