What's new

The Old Dark House (1932) 4K restoration coming from Cohen (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Noach Kowalski
The deal announcement comes as, in a major move for horror fans, the Cohen Media Group V.P. archivist Tim Lanza revealed at Lyon’s Lumière Festival that the Cohen Film Collection is working with Universal on the restoration of James Whale’s 1932 “The Old Dark House.” Written by J.B. Priestley, the comedy/gothic horror film stars Boris Karloff, in his first credited role, given his name was left of “Frankenstein,” Charles Laughton, Gloria Stewart, 63 years before she starred in “Titanic,” and Raymond Massey.

“The Old Dark House” was considered lost until director Curtis Harrington discovered material in the late 60s. CFC will be using material stored in the Library of Congress, said Lanza. It plans a 4K restoration, he added.

http://variety.com/2016/film/global...ques-rivette-movies-north-america-1201887790/

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Makes sense now that the Kino DVD went out of print recently.

DeanHarris

Agent
Real Name
Dean Harris
This should be quite a revelation, as Kino's dvd, from what I understand, was sourced from 16mm. I hadn't realized better elements even existed, so what great news!

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Great news! Having worked at the Library of Congress' nitrate film vaults, I know that the camera negative, as well as a lavender master positive, existed for this film, so the resulting 4K work should be beautiful!

"Have a potato!"

Mr. Harwood,

Is it possible that Universal did not know that these original materials were at the Library of Congress (LOC) ?

I have had a hard time watching the barely viewable print from the DVD and on Turner Classic Movies.

I cannot help but feel that my like of this film will turn to love when (if) I can really see something close
to what it is supposed to look like on film.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Mr. Harwood,

Is it possible that Universal did not know that these original materials were at the Library of Congress (LOC) ?

I have had a hard time watching the barely viewable print from the DVD and on Turner Classic Movies.

I cannot help but feel that my like of this film will turn to love when (if) I can really see something close
to what it is supposed to look like on film.

Universal knew the film was there but didn't have the rights to the film because of the later Columbia "remake." Universal did do preservation work on the film, as did the Library of Congress, but they couldn't show the film publicly.

Raymond Rohauer got the rights years ago but didn't have access to the original negative, so his print was less than stellar. It would appear that Cohen (who bought the Rohauer library) is now working with Universal if they're scanning the negative for the new Blu-ray.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Universal knew the film was there but didn't have the rights to the film because of the later Columbia "remake." Universal did do preservation work on the film, as did the Library of Congress, but they couldn't show the film publicly.

Raymond Rohauer got the rights years ago but didn't have access to the original negative, so his print was less than stellar. It would appear that Cohen (who bought the Rohauer library) is now working with Universal if they're scanning the negative for the new Blu-ray.

Thank you.

Please let me know if you hear more. I am excited about this restoration.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I hope that they're able to keep the Gloria Stewart commentary. Haven't listened to it in a while but I remember it was fascinating.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

...meaning the heavy lifting has been done and it might not be that long before we see a release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks