What's new

The Ogre DVD....Schlöndorff (1 Viewer)

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
I was browsing Best Buy today and came across this film, which I'd never heard of. Being a huge fan of The Tin Drum I was wondering how this film compared. I was extremely impressed with Volker Schlöndorff's The Tin Drum...the images, composition, art direction, etc. In what ways, if any, does this film compare to his earlier film and should I purchase? I could have sworn that Schlöndorff's next film after The Tin Drum was Palmetto...how did I miss this one?
I'm not a Nazi...but I find films with this subject matter somehow strangely compelling? :)
The Tin Drum fans (and I know there are some at HTF)...talk to me!
Jon

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Jon-

Have not yet seen THE OGRE (except on the video store shelf), but if you like Schlondorff you'll be happy to know that he is quite prolific and completed many projects (German, American, & international) in between THE TIN DRUM and PALMETTO. These include the acclaimed television production of "Death of a Salesman" (w/Dustin Hoffman & John Malkovich), SWANN IN LOVE (w/Jeremy Irons), CIRCLE OF DECEIT (w/the great Bruno Ganz), and THE HANDMAID'S TALE (recently released on DVD by MGM). As for earlier titles, check out THE LOST HONOR OF KATHERINA BLUM starring Angela Winkler and Mario Adorf (also of THE TIN DRUM). It hasn't been released on DVD yet, but there is a Homevision widescreen VHS release.

And, don't miss Schlondorff production partner Reinhard Hauff's excellent KNIFE IN THE HEAD starring Bruno Ganz in a tour-de-force performance and Angela Winkler. Alas, no DVD yet, but hopefully New Yorker will get on that.

Enjoy,

Jon

I rented The Ogre about a year or two ago. I had forgotten about it until I read your post. I remember liking it quite a bit actually. Very strange film, but I kind of expected that with Malkovich in the lead role. Definitely a twisted Nazi fairy tale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks