What's new

**** The Official X-Files Discussion Thread **** (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
In this past weeks X-Files Episode, Langly's face had blue stuff on it, and he said "Don't Ask." Well, I'm asking I missed most of the Gunmen series, I'm guessing its related to that? Thanks.
They were trying to uncover a conspiracy (of course!) and had broken in to a government facility (using blue powder/paint on their faces in order to get past a face-scanning secuiry device) when they were caught... end of season.
frown.gif
SO I guess the "Don't ask" thing is the only resolution we'll get; they got out.
That was a great episode, by the way, guest starring Michael McKean reprising his role from the "X-Files" as Morris Fletcher, and Mulder dropping in for a cameo (he and Jimmy Bond were meeting in a garage, Jimmy thought he was going to see Yves (the female on the show), and that she was using the codename "Fox" :)). If "X-Files" could get back to that standard, I'd be really happy (hell, after last night's episode I'd be happy if they could get up to the standard of the first rather abysmal "Lone Gunmen" episode).
/Mike

Mike Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
When did the offically cancel Gunmen, the last I heard is that the hadnt decieded wheather to bring it back mid season or to just go ahead and cancel it.
------------------

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
When did the offically cancel Gunmen, the last I heard is that the hadnt decieded wheather to bring it back mid season or to just go ahead and cancel it.
I'm not sure where you heard that, but the show was officially and fully canceled last spring.
M.

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I knew it would suck and it sure did. I don't know how CC and other long time xfiles staff could watch that and actually like what they've done with the series. Even if I look past the fact that DD is gone (which I can't) and look past the fact that they have made Scully into some non-important non-Scully-like character (which I can't) the writing/story still wasn't any good. Are we supposed to care what's going on? Cause I sure don't (and I would call myself a hardcore fan). Here's hoping the movie that is supposedly in the works is done right (gee what are the chances of that).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Taking a break from the bashing, let me ask a plot question:
When Doggett is trying to contact former members of his military unit, he's looking at a group picture. At one point, the camera focuses on a female member of the unit. Did anybody pick up on the fact that it's supposed to be a younger Lucy Lawless?
I certainly didn't. (Maybe I didn't watch enough Xena. :)) I only discovered the connection when I read the plot summary at the official X-Files site. The character's name is Shannon McMahon, and, as I recall, she's one of the people that Doggett tried to contact.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on November 14, 2001 at 10:11 AM]

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Did anybody pick up on the fact that it's supposed to be a younger Lucy Lawless?

I assumed that it was, for no other reason than that it was the only connection I could think of between what Doggett was doing and what "Xena" was doing... you're right though that it was very vague. Intentionally vague? Nah, probably just more sloppy storytelling...
/Mike

Damian

Agent
I actually did NOT notice that it looked like Lucy. Hmm..interesting.
------------------
-Damian

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Copied from another thread started by Miles_W (includes spoilers):

After Lucy Lawless saves Doggets bacon near the end of the show, we see a fist plunge through her chest, but not who did it. I know that it was probably the guy who she had just decapitated but then it cuts to Dogget who doesn't seem to be to put out by it?
It's the headless "corpse" of Noel Rohrer. I had to replay the scene on TiVo to see it. The camera pans up quickly to Lucy/Shannon's face, and you can see the headless figure behind her, but you have to look carefully -- it's dark, the lack of a head makes it hard to focus on the figure, and the shot is very brief. (I've been noticing a tendency in The X-Files to cut away too fast from shots that contain important narrative information, like the old photo of Lucy/Shannon in last week's episode.)

M.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
X-Files 11/18/01:

Well, still a bit murky as to who you can trust, but at least some statement of phenomena occurred with:

Lucy Lawless's character, Shannon McMahon, explaing how she and Noel (Adam Baldwin's character) were the 1st prototypes of super-soldiers genetically engineered to be the perfect soldiers - can withstand gunshot blasts, very strong/fast, can breath underwater. Now with the bit about the genetic scientists polluting the water supply to either create more super-soldiers or handicapping the population against these soliders is something we don't know is true either way.

Obviously all the stuff that Noel fed Doggett has to be suspect from the get-go, and the way he manuevered Scully via Doggett almost has to mean that Scully's baby is indeed one of those miracle super-soldiers who'll grow up with some nifty special powers and capabilities. But I don't think I'll be around to find out how young William turns out unless he's got an accelerated growth pattern built into his newly revised DNA.

Scully's downward spiral into the "paralyzed" mom role saddens me. But she doesn't have much alternatives.

Too bad Doggett gave up on his investigation on Kersh, who probably has way too many secrets that would wrap up the X-Files in a couple of episodes if he spilled what he knew.

The writing of Mulder out of the X-Files series is just too dumb for me to accept.

All the "mystery" is getting almost too thick to enjoy on a weekly basis. There is no "good" guys in the FBI as far as I'm concerned, but it's so hazy as to each person's motive that it's almost impossible to keep score as to who's "winning". I'll probably stick around for the season, but we be on a long ride to nowhere.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
any said:
But that's what the show has always been about. The real question is whether anyone can still get away with that narrative strategy after 8+ years of teasing. My guess is no, but who knows?
I think this season will succeed or fail on its standalone episodes.
M.

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
Last night I was watching the X-Files. I was miserable. I kept looking at the clock and waiting for it to be over. I decided to stop watching. I hate that my Sunday night TV has had this happen. X-Files, thanks for the DVDs so I can watch those I enjoy. When the sets first started coming out, I wondered what they would do when they caught up with the episodes that were airing. Especially if they are putting out two a year. Now I know. You can't catch up to a show that's not on anymore.

You will be missed...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Too bad Doggett gave up on his investigation on Kersh, who probably has way too many secrets that would wrap up the X-Files in a couple of episodes if he spilled what he knew.
I was somewhat encouraged by where they are going with the second episode, and it looks like we get a nice low-mythology high-monster content episode in two weeks. Those types of episodes were the best from last season.

Regards,

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
What still remains unexplained is why Shannon saved Doggett (twice!) and is feeding him false information
One thing about that bothered me though... If I remember correctly, Reyes said that Shannon killed the two guys because they were informants, they were going to expose thwe truth about the project, and that they had arranged to meet her to do that. But, we were shown the meeting between Shannon and one of the victims, and they met in a bar. It certainyl did not seem like that was an arranged meeting. So either Reyes is wrong, she's lying or the writers screwed up. Or, I remember wrong. :)
/Mike

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Michael,
Re: Kersh - I guess you don't become deputy director of the FBI without knowing how to play both sides of the fence.
It's not even fun speculating about any of this stuff because it all has the feel of deus ex machina nowadays.
I'd had totally forgotten about Season 7 and 8 (and the Mulder/Miles mess). That's how convoluted this whole show has become. It sure doesn't think it's going to find new viewers with its present story-telling motif, and might even turn off many of the fans. Just how much longer can even the fans be teased until you say to yourself, "that's enough, my time is better spent on somehing else." I'm getting to that point. I sure don't think any of the characters can remember all the twists and turns that happened to them and make cohesive sense out of them either.
Re: Noel and Shannon. I do like the angle that they were both aliens with such capabilities that the researchers were trying to emulate in humans. (The misdirection of played out by both Noel and Shannon does bear reflection on what would be their motives) I would see where TPTB first tried creating super-soldiers from injecting them with serums that would mutate their DNA/etc (in the classic Captain America origin sense), but then determined that they could only go so far with DNA already tainted with normal DNA, so their research shifted towards breeding their super-soldiers from scratch. But is there's enough time to go around breeding earth's super-soldiers to combat the aliens? Perhaps Scully's baby is one such baby, and I'm already prepared for it to be sent away next summer, and come back having aged 10-20 years (using classic Soap Opera time dilation/contraction techniques), and becoming a real player in the "Fight The Future" storyline just in time for the next X-Files movie. :)
BTW, anyone who likes Marita might want to check out Laurie Holden in "The Majestic" opening in December.

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Man, I remember the days when I would never have missed an episode -- if I couldn't be home to watch, the VCR was guaranteed to be set for it.
Yesterday, it never even entered my mind. I went out to dinner and a movie with some friends, and it wasn't until this morning that I even remembered the show was on last night.
Boy, how far the mighty have fallen....

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Michael,

Can you remember if there was any reference to Conrad Strughold after "Fight the Future"? Supposedly he was the head of the syndicate.

Think I'm gonna do a Mulder myself. I'll check back from time to time to see how things are going here.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I have been a long time supporter of the X-Files. I have watched religiously since episode 1.

When the show was catching alot of flash during the 5th season, I stood up and said "Wait... things will get better." And the same with the crazy things in seasons 6 and 7.

I hate to say it, but I am beginning to lose my faith as well. These last 2 episodes were the worst season premieres yet.

Of course, any show that is as complex as The X-Files is going to have plotholes. But I really started to get pissed off when Krycek mysteriously grew his arm back. It was clear that CC and crew didn't care about what happened in 'Tunguska' and 'Terma'. In fact, a co-worker of mine told me that CC admitted that he just thought that Krycek should have his arm back, no questions asked.

I was hoping that everything would tie together somehow, in the end.

What happened to these people's place in TXF mythology?

Deep Throat

X

Bill Mulder

Smoking Man, Well Manicured Man, Well Fed Man, and the consortium

Jeffrey and Cassandra Spender

The Bounty Hunter

Krytchgau

the CIA guy (forgot his name)

Marita Coveryourboobies

Krycek (OK, at least we KNOW what happened to him, or do we... how many times has he died now?)

Blevins

Diane Fowley

Senator Matheson

Gibson Praise

Albert Hosteen

Max Fenig

Crew Cut Man

Jeremiah Smith

OK, we know that some of them have died (supposedly) but, there are way too many loose ends. What happened to all these people?

First, we go from having aliens who are the typical (big eyed, big head, small bodied, ultra-intelligent) alien. Then, we have aliens in the form of shapeshifting humans. Then we go to having aliens in the form of the black canceroil (which was a really cool idea) and then, we go to having aliens in the form of monsters, like those out of a Ridley Scott movie. Then, its back to the black oil for a bit and then back to shapeshifting aliens with no eyesholes on their body. Now, we have no friggin clue what the aliens are? All we really know is that we have these "super warriors" who are supposedly human.

The question is, how is this all going to tie together. IT'S NOT. its a shame too. This is without a doubt, my favorite TV show of all time. I keep hoping that there will be a great resolution, a great tie in. But now, I dont think that is going to happen. It would take an entire season just to tie everything in. I sure liked the conspiracy angle alot more when it involved Bill Mulder, CSM, Deep Throat, and the old conspiracy storyline.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Granted, this year's premiere was defintely on the weak side, but I'll wait until the season finale to judge how good this season is.
Follmer and McMahon are definitely interesting characters , and any scene with Kersh is now handled really well. Kersh seems to be moving the plot along nicely; last year all he did was hold it up. James Pickens really knows how to glower! And Cary Elwes, what a scum bag! He's a character you love to hate, so he definitely has some promise.
Skinner and Scully are showing signs of battle weary soldiers. Instead of trying to fight them, they're now trying to just stay under the radar so they can get on with their lives, and I'd have to say this is the logical way things would go. Mulder leaving to save himself , while disappointing to fans, seems to be going over alright. Why they just didn't compress the last two episodes into one is beyond me, but I'm not a producer ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks