What's new

The official WORST STUDIO COVER ART thread. Post your worst covers! (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/312686/the-official-worst-studio-cover-art-thread-post-your-worst-covers/150#post_3843773
Not the worst cover ever, and I'm glad Paramount is finally releasing pre-1970 catalog films.
The cover is in line with Paramounts other westerns - drained black and brown - but really this says nothing about the film and wouldn't entice anyone to watch it if they never saw it before

e5b0cb87_littlebigmanbrd.jpeg
It looks like a movie called "Slobby Cowboy."

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/312686/the-official-worst-studio-cover-art-thread-post-your-worst-covers/150#post_3843773
Not the worst cover ever, and I'm glad Paramount is finally releasing pre-1970 catalog films.
The cover is in line with Paramounts other westerns - drained black and brown - but really this says nothing about the film and wouldn't entice anyone to watch it if they never saw it before

e5b0cb87_littlebigmanbrd.jpeg
Thats the problem with today's covers and today's one sheets - they don't say one thing about the film. They don't sell the movie.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Ethan Riley said:
Here is another one I hate. I hate the Criterion DVD cover of My Man Godfrey, they should have stuck with the original artwork!
29a50389_Godfrey.jpeg
I hate to say it- but in this case I actually prefer the DVD cover to the original. :blush: The DVD cover has a nice, gauzy, 30's-Art Deco feel. The original poster looks like it was a quickie job- the woman in the poster doesn't even look like Carole Lombard to me and the Powell likeness is a bit off as well.
That's a rare exception for me, though. The Lady From Shanghai DVD cover is horrid!

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
the dvd cover of rita hayworth's 'down to earth' has her with blue eyes---- every hayworth-lover knows her eyes are brown!
for my 'affair in trinidad' dvd i printed that exact poster to size and used it as my dvd cover art.....
and OMG that 'phantom of the opera' poster is SPECTACULAR!!!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
GMpasqua said:
Greg, who did that art for Fiddler? I remember the roadshow used the sort-or fabric collage version, but this was wonderful. And yeah that cover and menu Fox did was typically heinous.
Have you ever considered making a sideline out of adapting covers for people like that talented guy in the new cover art thread?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ronald Epstein said:
Take a look at this great poster for one of my favorite comedies,
Murder By Death....

And this is the best that Sony could do with that artwork. With all the comic greats that appear in this film, one would think this was a Peter Falk movie with a supporting cast:

I mean, what ghastly ugly artwork! (and by the way, Sony, we need a Blu-ray release on this one please)
While I would be shocked to see Sony release this themselves on BluRay, I would also welcome and immediately buy it, as I like it too.
SO MANY quotable lines:
"I wonder if you happened to have seen a little white - WANG!"
"22 Twain House."
"I can feel it in my buns."
"Buns! You have buns? Where...?"
"Jamesir Bensonmum? ...How odd!"
"That was my father's name... Howard Bensonmum."
"I've taken the liberty of putting you in the same wing as Mr. Wang."
"Oh isn't that nice, darling, we're in Wang's Wing!"
"My driver was injured by a falling gargoyle while standing outside your Chinese footprints..."
"Hungching Chucaudung woofung."
"Oh you remember, yes. You had Hung Ching Chew, and I had Cow Dung Wu Fung!"
"I don't think we have Nes c'est pas, Sir, just Hershey's."
"He's blind alright! Those were my funniest faces!"
"Mr. Diamond, you have a bullet hole in your back."
"You should see the other guy."
"Where's My Dickie?"
"There is nothing in my dish, but my dish."
"Ten people for dinner, and I'm serving them Hot Nothing!"
"I don't understand, why would anybody want to steal a dead naked body?"
"Oooh, that's tacky, that's really tacky!"
"To me you look like Number Two, know what I mean?"
"My Poodle. Twain would come to France... to hunt poodles."
"The nurse is giving my palm the finger, dirty old broad!"
"Someone in the kitchen with dinner?"
"The Murder is - Good God, GAS!"
"I'm sorry, I can't help it, I'm old."
"_____________!!!!" (mute cook screaming)
It's additionally amazing that Sony would bypass the key art, as it was done by the legendary Charles Addams, of the original Addams Family, and that art was the focal point of the entire title sequence. Look at this, and Sony's covers for Funny Girl, Funny Lady, Godspell, etc and you get the feeling that the kid doing their covers was under the impression that everyone in the 60s and 70s was on drugs. I think he went on to do another internship in Fox's "art dept" doing covers and menus for 60s catalog titles like Star! and Hello, Dolly!
If the studio's marketing folks are so convinced that the covers need to scream from the shelf (of the ever dwindling retail stores) why not put that screaming stuff on the omnipresent O-cards, and leave the classic art on the covers and menus for us. Otherwise those O-cards, which currently duplicate exactly what's underneath them, are a total waste of paper.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My latest finding: The Odessa File

a0f0d49d_odessa-orig.jpeg

Original movie poster

a81e5937_odessafile.jpeg

Image's new Blu-ray and DVD release cover (which replicates the Sony 2000 DVD release, BTW)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
f3b07834_cheap1.jpeg

f20e5c41_240734.1020.A.jpeg

8f0dc3eb_51N5-DifxZL.jpeg

Not horrible, but something that looks at home in a local grocery store PD DVD bin in comparison.
However, Sony has released similarly themed original poster art like for the California Suite DVD, so what gives?
bdc557ed_91PvDLvE4TL._AA1500_.jpeg

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Gromilini said:
Okay, granted this is just for a mediocre TV program, but still. Seriously? This is the best you could come up with?
745a9ac8_mccallum_invisible.jpeg
I LOVED this show when I was a kid. I hope it holds up!
Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
NY2LA said:
While I would be shocked to see Sony release this themselves on BluRay, I would also welcome and immediately buy it, as I like it too.
SO MANY quotable lines:
"I wonder if you happened to have seen a little white - WANG!"
"22 Twain House."
"I can feel it in my buns."
"Buns! You have buns? Where...?"
"Jamesir Bensonmum? ...How odd!"
"That was my father's name... Howard Bensonmum."
"I've taken the liberty of putting you in the same wing as Mr. Wang."
"Oh isn't that nice, darling, we're in Wang's Wing!"
"My driver was injured by a falling gargoyle while standing outside your Chinese footprints..."
"Hungching Chucaudung woofung."
"Oh you remember, yes. You had Hung Ching Chew, and I had Cow Dung Wu Fung!"
"I don't think we have Nes c'est pas, Sir, just Hershey's."
"He's blind alright! Those were my funniest faces!"
"Mr. Diamond, you have a bullet hole in your back."
"You should see the other guy."
"Where's My Dickie?"
"There is nothing in my dish, but my dish."
"Ten people for dinner, and I'm serving them Hot Nothing!"
"I don't understand, why would anybody want to steal a dead naked body?"
"Oooh, that's tacky, that's really tacky!"
"To me you look like Number Two, know what I mean?"
"My Poodle. Twain would come to France... to hunt poodles."
"The nurse is giving my palm the finger, dirty old broad!"
"Someone in the kitchen with dinner?"
"The Murder is - Good God, GAS!"
"I'm sorry, I can't help it, I'm old."
"_____________!!!!" (mute cook screaming)
It's additionally amazing that Sony would bypass the key art, as it was done by the legendary Charles Addams, of the original Addams Family, and that art was the focal point of the entire title sequence. Look at this, and Sony's covers for Funny Girl, Funny Lady, Godspell, etc and you get the feeling that the kid doing their covers was under the impression that everyone in the 60s and 70s was on drugs. I think he went on to do another internship in Fox's "art dept" doing covers and menus for 60s catalog titles like Star! and Hello, Dolly!
If the studio's marketing folks are so convinced that the covers need to scream from the shelf (of the ever dwindling retail stores) why not put that screaming stuff on the omnipresent O-cards, and leave the classic art on the covers and menus for us. Otherwise those O-cards, which currently duplicate exactly what's underneath them, are a total waste of paper.
As much as I love the original Charles Adams artwork, it wouldn't show up well on a store shelf to the average person. Add to that, with out an advertising campaign to back it up, very few people would remember this film or know what it was about. The new cover, as horrible as it is, at least gives someone an idea of who is in the film if nothing else.
Doug

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The Jaws poster is so iconic, and has been used on EVERY video release thus far. I would be shocked and horrified if anything else were used for the BD release.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Gromilini /t/312686/the-official-worst-studio-cover-art-thread-post-your-worst-covers/150#post_3920676
Okay, granted this is just for a mediocre TV program, but still. Seriously? This is the best you could come up with?
745a9ac8_mccallum_invisible.jpeg
It's a new trend of horrible cover art!

2e0d02d2_81VBZeZZ2cL._AA1500_.jpeg

Looks like a direct to disc bootleg instead of a better than decent modern Hammer Horror (IMO).

e6f6a64b_the-woman-in-black-poster05.jpeg

Much better poster art!

da1e4518_the-woman-in-black-poster-71.jpeg

Better Big Head poster art if they have to go that way with Potters face on the cover.:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks