What's new

The Official "What Speakers or Subwoofer Should I Buy" Assistance Thread (6 Viewers)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Thanks _Man_ will definitely check these out.

One thing I neglected to mention was room size. In my mind I was envisioning floor standing speakers but would much prefer bookshelf if possible. The room is approximately 18' x 18' and the ceiling is about 12' high. I'm used to buying speakers that only needed to fill much smaller rooms because I was bouncing from apartment to apartment with 10x12' living rooms, but this one in our home is a bit bigger and so want to be sure the B&W or ELACs would hold up to that space.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

One thing I neglected to mention was room size. In my mind I was envisioning floor standing speakers but would much prefer bookshelf if possible. The room is approximately 18' x 18' and the ceiling is about 12' high. I'm used to buying speakers that only needed to fill much smaller rooms because I was bouncing from apartment to apartment with 10x12' living rooms, but this one in our home is a bit bigger and so want to be sure the B&W or ELACs would hold up to that space.
A main thing you gain with floorstanding speakers is more output, as in louder. You typically also want a good subwoofer, but if you check the specs of bookshelf vs. floorstanding versions of the same speaker (Like the ELAC UniFi B52 vs F52) you'll usually find that their frequency range is the same or extremely close. The main difference is how loud they can play.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Besides what John also replied, I suspect floorstanders might also be better around kids unless you really need to put the speakers on literal bookshelves (or whatever home entertainment center where the big TV also sits) or the like. I'd trust good floorstanders more than monitor/bookshelf speakers sitting on stands w/ kids around. Ideally, you'd want the speakers, especially the front/mains, to have some breathing space away from walls, big TV, etc, but not sure that's possible for you.

_Man_

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Thanks for the above replies. With that in mind, between ELAC and B&W the bookshelf options look promising in that $600-700 range. Is there anything floorstanding where I can stay in that range price-wise and quality-wise?

Also curious on your thoughts regarding the ELAC Debut Reference DBR62 vs ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0

TsunamiMike

Auditioning
Real Name
MIke
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Subwoofer

Primary Use: 1% Music, 99% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: Powered sub with a good tight 30-70hz

Room Size:
15.5' wide x 38' long, HT area is 15.5'wide x 15' long

Is the room open to other areas of your home: yes a bar area

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes

What's your budget (low to high): $0-500

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope

theJman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I'm afraid that room size will be a problem for your budget. While the viewing area is fairly small, the room itself is not. A subwoofer only acknowledges physical boundaries, not virtual ones, so it will try to fill the entire volume of space. Unless you're sitting very close to it any $500 subwoofer will quickly be overwhelmed by the size of that room.

Realistically you should be considering ported models with an 18" driver - or at the very least 15" - but if finances prevents that there is the Rythmik LV12F and HSU VTF-2 MK5. Both are a bit above your budget, but they're about as small as you can go and still get at least decent performance.

edee_em

Grip
Real Name
Eddie Marano
If you'd like a speaker or subwoofer recommendation for your home theater, listening area or living room, this is the thread to post in. We are going to have our reviewers, members and experts from sponsors like SVS standing by to offer helpful advice and assist however they can.

Whether you are looking for guidance on what to buy, how to set it up, or how to get the most out of what you already have, HomeTheaterForum experts will be standing by to assist you.

Please copy and paste the following format for your reply, to make assisting you as easy as possible. Note the below is just an example with answers:

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Speakers

Primary Use: 30% Music, 70% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 5.1

Room Size: 18x12

Is the room open to other areas of your home: No

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes

What's your budget (low to high): $1500-2000

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? full 5.1 speaker set up

Primary Use: 10% Music, 90% TV & Movies

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes. Open to kitchen/dinette area so room is really 40 long. It also has a cathedral ceiling across the whole room. Also open to dining/living room

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes (Yamaha RX-V577)

What's your budget (low to high): $2,000 - 5,000

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? full 5.1 speaker set up

Primary Use: 10% Music, 90% TV & Movies

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes. Open to kitchen/dinette area so room is really 40 long. It also has a cathedral ceiling across the whole room. Also open to dining/living room

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes (Yamaha RX-V577)

What's your budget (low to high): $2,000 - 5,000

Eddie,

At that budget, I'm inclined to have you spend a bit more on subs (as a large open space will need the help). That said, I have two proposed system for you.

If you want a complete matching system. here's what I would suggest at the top of your budget: https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-tower-surround-package

You will need a sub, so I'd either go with two of these or one of these

On the budget end, but still sounding great, I'd go for ELAC speakers, and a nice SVS sub.

Start with 2 of these for Left and Right:

Amazon product
Add a center channel:

Amazon product
Add surrounds:

Amazon product
And subwoofer. you will need a sub, so I'd either go with two of these or one of these like above. An alternative option for the sub is to look at HSU research, who have great prices: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2.html

Finally, a 3rd alternative that has gotten some buzz of late is KLH: https://klhaudio.com/kendall-5-1-system/

Last edited:

edee_em

Grip
Real Name
Eddie Marano
Eddie,

At that budget, I'm inclined to have you spend a bit more on subs (as a large open space will need the help). That said, I have two proposed system for you.

If you want a complete matching system. here's what I would suggest at the top of your budget: https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-tower-surround-package

You will need a sub, so I'd either go with two of these or one of these

On the budget end, but still sounding great, I'd go for ELAC speakers, and a nice SVS sub.

Start with 2 of these for Left and Right:

Amazon product
Add a center channel:

Amazon product
Add surrounds:

Amazon product
And subwoofer. you will need a sub, so I'd either go with two of these or one of these like above. An alternative option for the sub is to look at HSU research, who have great prices: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2.html

Finally, a 3rd alternative that has gotten some buzz of late is KLH: https://klhaudio.com/kendall-5-1-system/
And what would change if the budget hit the mid point of 2000 - 2500? BTW, those KLH speakers sure have an appealing look. Will certainly read to more reviews about them.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Both of the sub links go to the SB-2000, but I suspect Dave intended the One Sub option to go to the SB-3000 or SB-4000.

I agree with these, as when you have a big room, andit's a living space, a good sealed sub will be smaller, and since it's likely to be driven harder, sealed subs don't get "sloppy" like ported ones when they get to their limit.

edee_em

Grip
Real Name
Eddie Marano
Both of the sub links go to the SB-2000, but I suspect Dave intended the One Sub option to go to the SB-3000 or SB-4000.

I agree with these, as when you have a big room, andit's a living space, a good sealed sub will be smaller, and since it's likely to be driven harder, sealed subs don't get "sloppy" like ported ones when they get to their limit.
I didn't want to say anything about the links given my "auditioning" status!! ;)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
And what would change if the budget hit the mid point of 2000 - 2500? BTW, those KLH speakers sure have an appealing look. Will certainly read to more reviews about them.
If your goal is affordability, I'd get the ELAC speakers + HSU or SVS sub depending on budget

$1120 for the 5.0 ELAC setup + $1049 for an HSU sub, or $1499 for the SVS

Total: $2169 or $2619

edee_em

Grip
Real Name
Eddie Marano
Thanks for the update Dave. So you would stay away from the Elac subs? I see the HSU/SVS referrals all over the place so I get that they are good subs but are they 3x the money good??

Just wanted to add a question about whether you would advise the Elac 5.2 or 6.2?

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
Thanks for the update Dave. So you would stay away from the Elac subs? I see the HSU/SVS referrals all over the place so I get that they are good subs but are they 3x the money good??

Just wanted to add a question about whether you would advise the Elac 5.2 or 6.2?
Yes they are. Subs are so important for theater content, and the ELAC sub is really not great.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Are they really 3x the price? The SB-2000 is $800?

You might as well go with the 6.2 over the 5.2. Just more speaker for your money.

edee_em

Grip
Real Name
Eddie Marano
Are they really 3x the price? The SB-2000 is $800?

You might as well go with the 6.2 over the 5.2. Just more speaker for your money.
Our prices up here in Canada are a bit higher than yours. $400 higher to be exact!!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You could also try it w/ 1 next lower model Hsu (or maybe SVS) to save a bit and see if it comes close enough to satisfy, especially if you're new to this level of performance and is doing a livingroom HT, not dedicated HT room... unless you really plan to rattle the dishes quite a bit and shake stuff off your livingroom walls, etc.

It's very possible you'll be plenty happy w/ the Hsu VTF-3 Mk5, for instance, that costs a couple hundred dollars cheaper than their flagship one Dave suggested (due in part to substantially lower shipping cost) -- actually, Dave may also have quoted the nicer rose wood model, which costs another extra $150, but the shipping costs will make up that diff whereas SVS offers free shipping (even for returns).

I have that Hsu in a somewhat similar size living space now though I only have regular 8ft ceilings, not cathedral ceilings, and we sit ~10ft from it... and my wife doesn't want me pushing it, haha, though I do often play it very close to my desired level.

I'm substantially upgrading and moving my HT into a dedicated ~18x18 room where I should be able to blast movie soundtracks much more, so I may well add a 2nd Hsu VTF-3 Mk5. And you could do likewise later, if you move the HT to a dedicated room and find the need. Of course, this could also be done w/ comparable SVS model (and there seems another brand or two that offer very competitive options in this range, eg. Rythmik).

The nice thing about the Hsu VTF-3 Mk5 is it actually uses the same 15" driver as the flagship Dave suggested, and none of its direct competitors seem to go above 12" at its price point. And although it's (optionally duo or singly) ported, it's designed so it can be well sealed, if you prefer -- I actually kept it sealed (as default configured from the maker/factory) as I prefer tighter sub-bass and didn't feel a need for the extra extension and "boom" (at least for my current situation). FWIW, the flagship Hsu can also be operated sealed or (duo or singly) ported. Those Hsu's do take up more space than the competing sealed SVS (due to Hsu's optional porting), if that's a concern.

_Man_

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sur