1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "What Speakers or Subwoofer Should I Buy" Assistance Thread

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dave Upton, May 13, 2016.

1. Alex603

Alex603 Auditioning

Alex

My speedwoofer 10S will be here on Wednesday of next week. I made a great choice with picking this sub-woofer with not only your recommendation but also from RSL and Vanatoo. When i told both companies I was combining the RSL speedwoofer and the Vanatoo transparent zeros they both had extremely positive things to say about the other company. Vanatoo said the RSL speedwoofer 10s transforms the transparent zeros into a full range potent system and it will rock my room. RSL said they loved the vanatoo speakers they tried and said the speed woofer which is a very articulate and musical sub woofer will pair excellent with the Vanatoo zeros. Its really nice to see companies in such a competitive market have such nice things to say about one another.

2. theJman

theJman Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    I'm glad things worked out for you. Be sure to post your impressions after you've had some time to get a feel for the new setup.

3. Alex603

Alex603 Auditioning

Alex
    i have had the RSL speedwoofer for a few days now and i am very very impressed. I have never heard such clean powerful bass before. When the sub is doing its thing and i put my ear up close to the woofer there is no cabinet resonance at all. Its amazing they can get so much bass and have no cabinet resonance. at 60% on the sub i had all my glasses plates and utensils in my cabinets clanging like crazy. with the sub at 60% and my speakers at literally 6% volume there was enough bass to make the glasses clang against each other.

my only issue now which i am trying to figure out is if its better to have my speakers crossover at 80hz or 125hz? I feel like 125hz is making the sub do to much but then i feel the 80hz crossover makes the sound less full. Im also having difficulty setting the sub volume to perfectly blend with the speakers. some songs i feel the bass is to high but then other songs it doesn't feel strong enough. Any advise would help a lot thanks in advance

4. theJman

theJman Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    125Hz tends to make vocals sound thick and heavy so most people don't do that. It depends upon your speakers and personal preferences - so it might be worth a try - but I suspect you'll go back to 80Hz.

5. kyle mote

kyle mote Auditioning

Kyle
    I use the Sonance Mariner 2 way 6.5' outdoor speakers and they sound amazing for the price point. Any other good recommendations for the $600-$800 range?