What's new

The official Survivor Season 22 Redemption Island: Russell vs. Rob discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
While Matt is the underdog I'm finding it hard to root for him because he's never really been a part of the game. I would find it hard to vote for someone I never spent time with just because he was in purgatory for the last four weeks. I feel bad for him but I don't know if I'd give him a million. Who else then? I honestly don't know. Rob completely turned me off early on in the season as he came across like a Reality Show Professional. Meanwhile everyone else on his tribe follows him so blindly that they've been about as much a part of the Game as Matt has been. We've seen zero strategy interviews from any of them (except maybe Phil). Apparently their strategy is to simply do whatever Rob says.

The only real hope left for this season is if someone wakes up from Rob's spell and says waittaminnit, am I playing this game to win a million or to give a million or Rob?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Judging by the absence of tats and implants, I'd guess it's theatrical dance. But I'd be wrong -- she's a cheerleader. Not the pom pom kind, but the bikini wearing dancing kind for pro beach volleyball.

http://ultimatecheerleaders.com/tag/avp-dancers/

I was going to post a picture of Natalie wearing a bikini, but then I realized she wears a bikini on Survivor all the time so it's not that revealing (her bikini on the show is actually tinier than the one she wears for work).

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Paul D G

While Matt is the underdog I'm finding it hard to root for him because he's never really been a part of the game.

I know your viewpoint is shared by many, but I disagree. Matt has been a part of the game. Clearly a different part than the main group, but nevertheless, he's playing the game as defined by the Show. The rules are different this year and I think it would be perfectly fair if he took an entirely different route to the million. It's not like he's cheating. He is playing the game as it was designed to be played (this season). And if he were to make it to the finals, I think he would be completely deserving of the million. He has overcome extremely difficult odds to make it this far.

The people in my opinion who don't deserve to win are Rob's minions. They may not have been voted out (yet), but most of them aren't playing either. They're just letting themselves be Rob's pawns in this game and haven't showed half as much game play as Matt has. They've just not done it on Redemption Island.

I hate winners who only win because the (deserving) person who drug them along is unlikeable. And there have been plenty of those. But I wouldn't put Matt in that category. He's playing the cards he was dealt and doing a fine job so far with his situation. Just because someone doesn't care for Redemption Island does not mean that those players don't deserve to win. I get the "unfair" part since they weren't with the main group for the bulk of the game. But the rules are the rules and for this season at least, Redemption Island is a valid and fair path to the million.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Rob deserves to win. He's controlled the game from the beginning, both the team game and the individual game. Maybe the bar should've been set higher for him because he's a reality show professional, but how much more could he possibly have dominated? Maybe if Russell had stuck around and Zapatera not given up their numbers advantage, but we'll never know. Once he was gone, Rob and his tribe wiped them out fairly easily. Not only has Rob dominated, but he's kept his entire alliance intact. Nobody has betrayed him despite the opportunities and temptations to do so. He's drawn out the HII that was a threat to him; kept his own HII a secret and blocked others from even getting a HII clue. Amazingly, he's even kept people from wondering where the HIIs are and changing their votes in fear of them. If he makes it to the end, the only risk is that the Zapatera that escapes Redemption Island somehow gets into the finals and their former tribe mates vote for him/her. Even that vote would be cheap as no Zapatera deserves to win. I appreciate and understand all the discussion about why others could win, but nobody else deserves to.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The difference really is that Russell got bumped right from the beginning - his tribe wanted him gone from day 1. In the other tribe, they viewed Rob as an asset to win challenges and wipe out the other team. They were right. Rob's performance in the challenges has been a critical difference from the beginning.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You have to wonder what the rest of Rob's tribe is thinking about the HII. Do they think Rob has it??

After their last futile search (Rob had found it long before) we haven't heard any talk around camp on the subject.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by mattCR

The difference really is that Russell got bumped right from the beginning - his tribe wanted him gone from day 1. In the other tribe, they viewed Rob as an asset to win challenges and wipe out the other team. They were right. Rob's performance in the challenges has been a critical difference from the beginning.

Yup, do you want to bring along the expert and last longer in the game, but risk the expert winning? Or do you want to take the expert out early, give up a strong challenge player, an important vote, and risk getting demolished by the other team? It was a dilemma and the only result (so far) is that the amateurs can't win no matter which way they choose.

One more thing about Rob's challenge play. He just beat a professional athlete at a stair climbing challenge. Think about that. Rob's good, but he beat a professional athlete who isn't past his prime. He nearly keeled over afterwards, but that's pretty damn impressive.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Originally Posted by Charlie Campisi

One more thing about Rob's challenge play. He just beat a professional athlete at a stair climbing challenge. Think about that. Rob's good, but he beat a professional athlete who isn't past his prime. He nearly keeled over afterwards, but that's pretty damn impressive.

Grant had the lead but lost it because he messed up twice on one step. Grant had Rob beat physically, but Rob had Grant beat mentally.

mike caronia

Second Unit
I hope the Redemtion Island winner gets put back in the game at Final Tribal.

It was a different part of the same game.

The only difference, is the whole jury will have had that experience of 'win or leave'.

Rob's control of the tribe only goes so far as the weekly tribal this season.

RI, is a whole 'nother beast.

I'm rooting for the person coming from RI to win.

Only for the sole fact that Ometeppe are sheep, and it looks too much like a set-up for Slob...errrr Rob.

It's no secret that Jeff Probst has a serious man-crush on him.

Every single thing that could go his way, has. So much so, it's hard to believe he's playing 'the perfect game'....it's more of a script playing this whole season out.

The chop of him with the clapboard is much more real than these people not even thinking about plotting to get rid of him.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by ThomasC

Grant had the lead but lost it because he messed up twice on one step. Grant had Rob beat physically, but Rob had Grant beat mentally.

Ah. I was multitasking and watching with one eye. Missed that.

mike caronia

Second Unit
Completely, Patrick.

The guy had like a 5 minute head start and couldn't get anything together.

It was hard to watch! ha

Hate to say it, Rob has this in the bag.

Unless the RI returnee wins 2 straight Immunities, I don't see one of the girls or Phillip beating him.

Unless the crazy guy gives a speech like nobody ever has, it was all an act...blah, blah, blah...but I don't think he has it in him.

BRob has controlled the game.

Would be funny as hell seeing him lose with Russell there laughing, but there's no way Probst lets it happen.

They'll pay off some folks if their votes don't go the way they want.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I'm putting it out there if they don't bring the RI person back into the game until the final 4 and they win immunity, (and if that person happens to be Matt), and he ends up winning because he never lied or deceived anyone....I am done with this show.

I know that there is a ton of "ifs" there, but with the way the show is going it could happen.

I would be perfectly happy if Mike or Grant come back under the same circumstances and win, because they actually "played" the game.

With all that said...Go Rob, win the title of sole survivor. :)

Don't forget the finale is on this Sunday.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I think Rob has played a great game. Somehow he convinced these people that they should keep him around to the finals. He's voted off people throughout the game that he felt wouldn't listen to everything he said, like Matt. I think the other girl, forget her name, not Natalie, is the only one that has a clue about not taking Rob. But I'm not sure what angle she plans to use to win votes over Natalie if she took her and Philip.

Should be interesting on Sunday.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk
I think the other girl, forget her name, not Natalie, is the only one that has a clue about not taking Rob.

Is that the other girl not Natalie or that other girl who's not the other girl not Natalie? You know, What'shername.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks