What's new

***The Official Survivor 4: The Marquesas *** thread (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Gabriel Cade also is a bartender, like Brandon from "Survivor 3" was. I think we have our new TGG! :)
/Mike

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Overall, I don't think this cast looks as good as the previous ones. We'll see soon enough.

If anything, they were picked because they looked like relatively happy and nice people. This way, they will go crazy when they are dropped off with nothing on the island!

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I've enjoyed all 3 Survivors and am looking forward to this new one.

I wish CBS would pace it out a bit more. This new Survivor is coming up pretty close to the previous one.

I guess CBS is worried that people will lose interest if they leave it too long.

I've found that after the final episode and the obligatory wrap-up special that I get 'Survivored-out' and need a break.

Anybody know how Survivor is doing in the ratings? How many more installments are planned?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Survivor obviously is doing pretty good.

I agree that they should space the shows out, but they're probably looking out for sweeps...

I just want more Kimmi vs. Alicia or Sue vs. Kelly type stuff. Or at least an evil, manipulative Rich character. Just something to start some screaming and yelling and fighting.

And I want to see one of the Survivors go crazy and run away and hide in the trees.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I think part of the reason they don't space them out more is to keep the show in the public eye. After all, they essentially don't rerun any of these episodes, and each season is already shorter than the season for a sitcom or drama.

Personally, I prefer the shorter gap between seasons. Wasn't the time between 2 and 3 four months?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Marianne, well, there's a big gulf from under 30 to over 40 on the women's side it would seem on Survivor 4 this time around. :) Just trying to ask for demographic pandering of the chicas for fellas in my age group. Heh.
BTW, I would hope we try to confine all of the Survivor 4 discussion to this ***Official Survivor 4**** thread once the show gets going again on 2/28/02.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
You want a "token gay guy?" Take your pick:
(By the way, please don't anybody get offended. This is all meant in fun. I'm not making fun of people who are gay, just having a little fun with the stereotypes. :) )
Gabriel Cade
Figure skater
Ballet dancer
Teaches ballroom dance
Drives an old guy around
John Carroll
Registered nurse
Works with AIDS victims and donates time to AIDS charities
Collects hot sauce :confused:
Hunter Ellis
In the Navy, yes, you can sail the seven seas.
In the Navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.
In the Navy, come on now people, make a stand.
In the Navy, can't you see we need a hand.
In the Navy, come on, protect the motherland.
In the Navy, come on and join your fellow, man.
In the Navy, come on, people, and make a stand.
In the Navy, in the Navy.
;)
Peter Harkey
Yoga
Construction worker (see Village People reference from Hunter Ellis)
(So he's married and has kids...denial)
Rob Mariano
Also a construction worker
Lives with his cat "Fred" ;)

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
BTW, I would hope we try to confine all of the Survivor 4 discussion to this ***Official Survivor 4**** thread once the show gets going again on 2/28/02.
This policy should also be adopted for Alias, Smallville, Enterprise, 24, ER and every other show that gets a new thread every week.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
This policy should also be adopted for Alias, Smallville, Enterprise, 24, ER and every other show that gets a new thread every week.
I would prefer *not* to do that.

As someone who rarely gets to see the episodes at their original air time (I TiVo them), I'd like to be able to read and discuss the episodes I have seen without running into discussion on ones I haven't, yet...

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I wish CBS would pace it out a bit more. This new Survivor is coming up pretty close to the previous one.

I'm a little ambivalent about this. On one hand, I love the show and don't mind that they start the new one so quickly after the other one, but on the other hand I think it might be overkill. Waiting builds up anticipation, and I think they would benefit from that ratings-wise. Make it an annual event instead of a regular season-type thing.

I hope they don't burn out too quickly. Then again, CBS is probably just out to make a quick buck, like ABC was with "Millionaire". They burned that out too fast, but they made a lot of money.

/Mike

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Survivor is sort of a different animal when it comes to it getting one big thread vs. the shows that gets a thread for each episode. Survivor is a game show which requires knowledge of what went on in the past episodes, so it makes sense to keep it all in one big thread. Plus, the precedent was set for the past couple of Survivors, so most everyone is used to it getting its own one big thread.

Other episodic TV shows don't always rely on the previous week of shows, and I feel it's better to compartmentalize each new show of interest with its own thread (makes the searches a bit easier on the members).

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Bill,
Definitely no offense taken there. That was hilarious. :laugh:

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
It's hard to say whether or no they're overdoing Survivor. With Millionaire, it's true, they really overdid it. The reason that it's died though, (Is it even still on the air?) is simply because it just got repetitive. It's always the same set, always the same format. Fifteen questions, each one getting harder, and the three lifelines. Survivor is a very different breed. Not only is the game more drawn out, but it's always changing. What happens in previous games, affects how players handle future games. We also get a lot more time to get to know the contestants, and we get more of a connection with them. (Except of course, for the unfortunate victims of the first few tribal councils!) There's also the challenges which are rarely repeated, and the way outside forces change the course of the game. Such as in Survivor 2, the rain storm which washed away their camp really brought those six remaining players a lot closer together in a way we haven't seen. And there's also the changing rules, what with the switcheroo which really threw Silas out of commission.

While I do believe Africa was the weakest Survivor yet, I still found myself drawn into it, and I very much look forward to Survivor Marquasas!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The one thing I wonder is if the island is really as dark as they made it seem in the video preview.

Nonetheless, I can't wait!

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I just hope there's something INTERESTING about the island! I mean, in Africa, couldn't they have found a more interesting place to have it? Rather than some flatland in the middle of nowhere where it never even rains!

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Mark,

I agree/disagree :) While Africa didn't have the monsoon rains it did have two things the other Survivor shows lacked:

1. Hungry lions
  2. Elephant dung in the water[/list=1]

However, I don't really believe that if the lions had made it through the fence that they would have dined on Survivors. I can't believe the producers would risk something like that!

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I just hope there's something INTERESTING about the island! I mean, in Africa, couldn't they have found a more interesting place to have it? Rather than some flatland in the middle of nowhere where it never even rains!
Maybe there will be headhunters! That would be INTERESTING!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks