What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Scott, yes, this set could very well be the ultimate that replaces those 3 discs. We now will have reality and more!
Nelson,
Capt. Pike and Vina would be pleased! ;)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Originally Posted by bryan4999 /t/267979/the-official-star-trek-music-discussion-thread/90#post_3959007
Does anybody know if the jazzy, "cocktail" version of the Star Trek TOS theme from "Conscience of The King" is available anywhere? I picked up the Symphonic Suites CD that includes Conscience, but that cut was not included. Thanks so much.
I can finally speak! That "lounge version" was actually a library cue and not written specifically for "Conscience of the King". But don't worry, we know people associate it with that episode.

Neil

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, there will be a lot of toe tapping on Talos!:)
Wasn't the lounge version also heard in the bar scene on Court Martial? It will be great to hear it in full! And Goodnight Sweetheart without Kirk and Edith talking over it. I'm also really looking forward to the short bits in City On The Edge of Forever, there is a short bit of music that sounds so much like a typical Twilight Zone piece.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA! News like this makes me wish that LaLaLand was doing a complete Twilight Zone box.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was reading elsewhere that negotiations for clearances were still going on for some of the music. I hope Goodnight Sweetheart and all others is cleared! And it will be very interesting to listen to a clean recording of Nichelle Nichols on her tracks.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
I was reading elsewhere that negotiations for clearances were still going on for some of the music. I hope Goodnight Sweetheart and all others is cleared! And it will be very interesting to listen to a clean recording of Nichelle Nichols on her tracks.
Nelson,
Let's hope those negotiations aren't too difficult to complete. Agreed on Nichelle's tracks. I do love Beyond Antares (a disjunct line around which some rather complex and remotely-related harmonies are woven). Even with absolute pitch, that tune is not that easy to track from one chord to the next, meandering as it does. I can't wait for this set! :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
I indulged in Mullendore and Nichelle Nichols and the Karidian's this evening. :)
And I watched Beyond Antares (The Karidians) last night. During the 'Caesar of the stars' moment, Kirk really seems transfixed. But I don't know if it's because he's thinking of Lenore's beauty or what she is saying to him. Perhaps it's both. Either way, it's one of those moments where I really appreciate the acting of William Shatner.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I watched the video provided by Lou again. I love this line:
"We're not modifying anything, we're preserving things."
I hope that this collection is available for the holiday season. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
[Re-posted from the Star Trek Trivia (Series and Films) thread.]
Lou Sytsma said:
Some very informative posts from Jeff Bond over at the TrekMovie that layout exactly what was the Star Trek TV show boxset release is all about. Collected here for convenience.
Post 122 - in response to whether the music is in stereo and/or mono
"TV music of the 60s was always broadcast in mono. We do have some stereo material on the album but the majority was mixed to mono and those are the sources we have–however it all sounds stupendous, far better than any original Trek music that’s ever been released–believe me, even in that big hall we announced the set in, the music sounded great.
There are about 30 episodes of Star Trek with music scores recorded for them. And we do include all the library music recorded for the series, so yes, there are variations of some of the same music–but that is in the minority and we’re still talking at least a dozen CDs of totally original music in the set with the rest devoted to library cues and source music (and some musically created sound effects)."
Post 139 - about previously released Star Trek music CDs
"Yes. And the GNP albums were in “false stereo,” which I believe is just creating a microscopic delay or something between two identical tracks of music.
To “Spock’s Other Brain”…I’m going to try to ignore what appears to be your tone, but no one involved in this project “chose” whether to release this music in stereo or mono. We used the elements that were available–mono elements were released as mono, stereo elements were released as stereo. Any “decisions” regarding the stereo or non-stereo status of those elements were made almost half a century ago, so even praying to your god isn’t going to alter those facts."
Post 144 - about the source material being available to begin with
"Like I said, we have some stereo material, but the bulk of it is mono, and in great sound as far as I’m concerned. Another thing: part of the agreement with the union back in the day was that all recorded music would be DESTROYED at the end of each season in order to prevent it from being tracked into subsequent seasons. Obviously this was ignored in many many cases–but the point is we’re lucky to have this music available at all. A lot of people have worked very hard to make this sound as good as it possibly can and I think the results are terrific–this is a historic release, as I don’t believe any television series’s music has been so completely preserved the way this release does it."
Post 149 - track groupings and NBC bumpers
"As far as the track grouping goes, many tracks are placed individually (and all library cues are separate) but there is some grouping of tracks; not in “suites” or anything but groups of 2-3 tracks to deal with the numerous short cues and stings.
The NBC bumpers were not part of the original elements unfortunately."
Post 156 - about character/in episode music
"All songs and source music are on the set pending a few negotiations. The hippy songs are definitely there as well as numerous others. I think that’s one of the things that will give some added appeal to this–while plenty of people are interested in the scores, there’s also a lot of things specifically related to character that I think people will find fascinating–Uhura singing, Spock playing the piano, Trelane’s harpsichord, the space hippy jam session–music that you relate to specific characters onscreen."
Post 163 - track grouping and The Star Trek Project CDs
"You’re correct. While some cues are combined because they were recorded separately, but designed to flow into one piece of music in the actual score, edits that were done for time, or later on in tracked episodes to make preexisting cues conform to onscreen action they weren’t written for, would not be duplicated in the set. So yes, particularly in a number of library cues, you will hear additional music–preambles and resolutions–that never played in the episodes.
I think I have a few of the “Star Trek Project” CDs–these are something like 10th generation dubs of the music EXACTLY as heard in the episodes, including all of the tracked episodes, so yes, there is a tremendous amount of duplication of music there and it those discs are not a very good way of gauging the amount of music written for the series if you’re just totalling up the number of minutes of music on each CD and ignoring the repetition. As I stated, ALL music recorded for the series is included on the set and it all will fit on 15 CDs."
Lou,
Much appreciated! I am thrilled that they are not going to mess with either the monaural or stereophonic tracks. For the most part, these guys (thankfully) seem to be taking a 'hands-off' approach as far as trying to alter the original music is concerned.
"Another thing: part of the agreement with the union back in the day was that all recorded music would be DESTROYED at the end of each season in order to prevent it from being tracked into subsequent seasons. Obviously this was ignored in many many cases–but the point is we’re lucky to have this music available at all."
This to me is astonishing on two counts (the agreement and the fact that it was ignored).
"While some cues are combined because they were recorded separately, but designed to flow into one piece of music in the actual score, edits that were done for time, or later on in tracked episodes to make preexisting cues conform to onscreen action they weren’t written for, would not be duplicated in the set."
This is fascinating as well. I've thought about the possibility of duplication, and I believe that the answer provided here explains the process rather well. But it does make me wonder how those in charge will be able to determine minute differences (e.g., instrumentation, differing tempi, etc.) in similar scorings. Titles of works won't (I don't believe) be helpful in all cases, especially for snippets (or even shorter incipits). I wish I were working on this project, truth be told! :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Can't wait for the TOS TV boxset! In the interim LalaLands ST:TMP score release is fantastic! I'm hearing layers of instrumentation I have never heard before.
Love the Klingon Battle, the Enterprise, and Leaving Drydock tracks. And all the rest of it too!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Lou Sytsma said:
Can't wait for the TOS TV boxset! In the interim LalaLands ST:TMP score release is fantastic! I'm hearing layers of instrumentation I have never heard before.
Love the Klingon Battle, the Enterprise, and Leaving Drydock tracks. And all the rest of it too!
100% agreed. TMP has always been one of my favorite scores of all time.
It's amazing to have this 3 disc set!!!
I really am enjoying the remastered sound as well. It's like hearing so much more when I listen to it!!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"TMP has always been one of my favorite scores of all time."
Agreed. It's lush, and it has a lot of musical reasons for liking it as well.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
A couple more posts:
On pricing and how cue sheets will be made available:
179. Jeff Bond - August 20, 2012
It will cost around $200 and there is a total of 17.1 hours of music on the set. The cue sheets will not be included in the booklet
but we’re thinking about other options for those. I would love to make them available somehow so people could cobble tracked
scores together (although you would still have to do a little editing in Garage Band to cut some tracks apart)–not sure if there are
any legal problems with doing that though.
and a word of caution from:
186. Neil S. Bulk - August 20, 2012
The cue sheets are nice, but they aren’t the most accurate documents in the galaxy. There are frequent typos and omissions.
and a playful word of advice from him as well:
189. Neil S. Bulk - August 21, 2012
You may find just as pleasing results by putting all of the music into iTunes and turning on shuffle play. It’s like getting a brand new
(tracked) episode of Star Trek!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I suggested some kind of online availability for the cue sheets after the set is released. I very much want to see them!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
One very interesting sidenote has come out of the discussion of this set. Somebody asked on another forum about "The Enterprise Incident". There's a rumor that made the rounds about the authorship of that score (and by extension of "Plato's Stepchildren"). The rumor was that Alexander Courage didn't actually write that score but instead gave it to Scott Huston to ghostwrite. Nobody was able to confirm if there was any truth to this until the question was directly asked to Lukas Kendall, who stated that the scoring for "Enterprise Incident" is in Alexander Courage's handwriting. Meaning this was just another bogus internet rumor. I had wondered about it, but no longer.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I checked around about that rumor and it seems that just about every online mention of it comes from that same guy. I agree that it is nice to silence it once and for all, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks