What's new

The Official LOTR: FOTR - Extended DVD Specs (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Clearly, too much of a good thing is not good. ;)
I'm actually relieved (though I can't imagine how cool the 5.1 effects-only track would have been). Hopefully this will put to rest all fears of video-quality until the final product is reviewed.

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Sad to see them go but hey...this should look and sound unbelievable! They should know that this is the defining dvd for fellowhip and give it all they got

Travis D

Second Unit
Those sounded really cool though.....

However, they were infact made. Am I wrong on this or did they actually make these tracks and drop them simply because of space concerns? Well shit, put each of those tracks on 3 CDs (encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1 format which I know is possible to make) and sell them on lordoftherings.net

I'd buy 'em.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Well...pissed about the lack of isolated score now! But at least we get great picture and DTS-ES!
No bring on the DVD-A of the score people!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I really do hope the DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track is left on there (to heck with the effects and music tracks; I'd much rather they release a multichannel DVD-Audio or SACD of the score). There is quite an improvement IMHO to DD EX by having the mix specifically tweaked for a discrete back surround channel (which is currently only available via DTS-ES Discrete).

Anyone listen to New Line's DTS-ES remixes of Bones and Blade 2 with a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 decoder? Pretty damn good!!

By the way, DTS is able to encode at 24 bit word lengths and 48 kHz sampling, and supposidly up to 24 bit/96 kHz with their new format. Of course, I'd rather have a high resolution, multichannel PCM or DSD track, but it may only be wishful thinking until a really good HD-DVD format comes out.

Dan

Something that may interest some of you.....when I booked my copy at the local DVD store here in Wellington NZ, my name joined quite a long list, but the store clerk remarked that even more people were ordering the 5 disc version. There are obviously more people than I thought keen to get their hands on the bookends and the Nat Geographic disc.

IanS

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding the announcement that the 4 disc set will not contain 5.1 audio only and 5.1 sound effects only,

I will very pissed if there is a french language track on the U.S. release. Yes, I said U.S. release, because the version here in Canada will contain a french language track for sure.

Ian

John CW

Supporting Actor
"We've heard back from New Line on those 5.1 isolated music and sound effects tracks. It's confirmed that they will not be on the disc, contradicting the information they sent us a few days ago. Apparently, they were to have been included originally, but they eventually had to be dropped for disc space. The disc spec information we were sent simply hadn't been updated. Hopefully, that explains the mix-up. The main concern we have is that the DVDs feature the highest video and audio bitrates possible to maintain quality. All other extras are secondary to the presentation quality of the film in our minds. So while it's disappointing that the isolated tracks will not be included, it's entirely understandable."
WOOHOO!!! I can sleep at night -- the picture quality WILL be better than the theatrical version! For all those who are dissapointed: Remember to include them WOULD have meant a WORSE picture quality than the last release in the more frantic/smokey/demanding scenes.

At least now we don't have to worry... I guess there's PLENTY of space for PQ now?

Woohoo!

~ John

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
WOOHOO!!! I can sleep at night -- the picture quality WILL be better than the theatrical version! For all those who are dissapointed: Remember to include them WOULD have meant a WORSE picture quality than the last release in the more frantic/smokey/demanding scenes.
Well, the addition of the DTS track and the 4 commentary tracks leaves the new release with the same amount of headroom as the old disc (which never peaked over 8.5 Mb/s for all streams). So the frantic/smokey/demanding scenes will probably look the same, and the other scenes might look better than before.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
To anybody who owns the Canadian release of the EE:

What is different about this version? Are any of the covers, extras, menus or maps bilingual? Were any extras sacrificed in favor of the French 5.1 track?

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I know, there is no French 5.1 track on the canadian release - Only a French 2.0 track which replaces the English 2.0 track. Everything else is the same.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Not quite the same, but close.

1. There is no French DD5.1 track, only a 2.0 surround track as stated above (it replaces the English 2.0 track)

2. The packaging and discs themselves are free from any French text.

3. The booklet inside DOES have French text. This includes the special extended edition notes and chapter listing. The booklet also contains a hierarchy of all special features on discs 3 and 4 - this has no French text.

4. The special features listing insert (on the outside of the packaging) also contains French text, but it completely removable from the rest of the packaging.

5. No special features were removed or changed from the US version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks