The Official LOTR: FOTR - Extended DVD Specs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshB, Oct 2, 2002.

1. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    These are the official final specs for the 4-disc Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Special Extended DVD Edition release due out on November 12th:

Disc 1 and 2 - Extended Version of the Film

208 minute Extended Cut

Anamorphic Widescreen (Aspect Ratio 2.35:1)

English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX
    English DTS 6.1 ES
    Isolated 5.1 Sound Effects Mix
    Isolated 5.1 Music Track

Commentary Track One with the director and writers (Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens

Commentary Track Two with members of the design team (Grant Major, Ngila Dickson, Richard Taylor, Alan Lee, John Howe, Dan Hennah, Chris Hennah and Tania Rodger)

Commentary Track Three with members of the production and post-production team (Barrie Osborne, Mark Ordesky, Andrew Lesnie, John Gilbert, Rick Porras, Howard Shore, Jim Rygiel, Ethan Van der Ryn, Mike Hopkins, Randy Cook, Christian Rivers, Brian Van't Hull, Alex Funke)

Commentary Track Four with members of the cast (Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler, Sean Astin, John Rhys-Davies, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, Orlando Bloom, Christopher Lee and Sean Bean)

Disc Three - The Appendices Part I: From Book to Vision

J.R.R. Tolkien-Creator of Middle-earth featurette.

From Book to Script featurette.

Visualizing the Story section featuring Storyboards and Pre-viz featurette.

Designing and Building Middle-earth section featurette.

Designing Middle-earth featurette.

Costume Design featurette.

Weta Workshop featurette, design galleries including The Enemy, The Last Alliance, Isengard, The Fellowship, Rivendell and Lothlorien.

Interactive Middle-earth Atlas with timeline.

New Zealand as Middle-earth intertactive map with video.

Disc introduction with director Peter Jackson.

Disc 4 - The Appendices Part II: From Vision to Reality

Filming section featuring a production photo gallery and the The Fellowship of the Cast featurette.

A Day in the Life of a Hobbit featurette, Cameras in Middle-earth featuette.

Visual Effects section and featuette.

Post-Production section featuring Editorial featuette and a multi-angle presentation.

Digital Grading featuette.

Sound and Music featuette and Sound Design Demo.

The Soundscapes of Middle-earth featurette.

Music for Middle-earth featurette.

The Road Goes Ever On featuette.

Disc introduction with director Peter Jackson.

This is well over 30 Hours of content spread across the 4 Discs, as well as DVD-ROM features, which are said to be very extensive, including photos, sketches, and other behind the scenes content.

2. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the specs Josh. Do you know if the DTS-ES track is discrete?

3. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I'm pretty sure it will be. Also, it seems I was a little late with this thread, seeing how it was posted at the other one.

4. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Great news! I always wanted an isolated score, and just when it looks like it wasn't going to happen, it's there!

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Hommina, hommina.....I love this movie but FOUR full-length commentaries? OK, I need to take 3 days off of work for this. [​IMG]

6. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

208 minutes? Several of us thought there was going to be 30 minutes of extra footage. Is this the R2 spec by chance?

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor

8. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

I can't wait to get my hands on this. It's going to be a great disc. I hope the Canadian version won't have bi-lingual packaging though.

9. AdamZ

AdamZ Stunt Coordinator

No trailers dang that is what made me so excited for the movie

10. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

double post...

11. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

4 discs of material and the DTS track is the only thing that doesn't interest me (and only because I don't have a capable setup.)! This set should be totally frigging marvelous. Between 30 hours of material for this and probably 10 or so for AOTC, I'm going to have no life come November 12th.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. IanS

IanS Stunt Coordinator

you can be sure of one thing, the 4 disc in Canada will have, not only have a bilingual cover, but it will contain a french language track, which means that either the 5.1 effects track or 5.1 music track will be sacrificed by Alliance Canada to meet the bilingual demands of the Quebec Goverment and and at the same time, screw us Canadians.

Ian

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

15. Steven_Ma

Steven_Ma Agent

Perhaps the trailers will be easter eggs. I hope it has the TTT trailer on it.

16. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

I think that 7360 kbps is a pretty good video rate. Anyone with the 2 discer know the average video bitrate for the video? It might be same transfer, which would be great, then again, it could be a better one[​IMG] Must calm down....
    l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

17. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

18. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    What are those demands by the frenchie government anyway? do they demand every dvd have a french dub, or does french subtitles satisfy them? Because forcing dubs seems fascist to me. [​IMG]
    Sounds great, it's amazing we haven't had someone fart that the picture is going to suck because they have too many audio tracks, I swear if dvdfile mentions any small problem on a major release (coughbeautyandthebeastcough) some people here flip out as though everything with the release is terrible because it doesn't look absolutely perfect. Although I could understand flipping out if I had tens of thousands of dollars invested in equipment, but still...
    Anyway, only around a 100 minutes give or take some for each disc, that still should leave ample room for a stellar transfer because it doesn't have extra video information like MOnsters Inc, Brotherhood of the Wolf, or Beauty and the Beast. And those commentarys can be heavily compressed dolby stereo or mono to take up the least amount of bit rate possible. How important is sound quality on a commentary anyway? so long as you can clearly distinguish voices from each other, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Eight audio tracks though, WOW, isn't that the maximum dvd can support? Has there been any dvd that had seven or more totally different audio tracks? btw thats seven different tracks because I'm thinking the dts and dolby mixes are essentially the same information different encoding compression and bit rate, but essentially the same information well except on a select few dvds so allow for exceptions), all the others are substantially different from each other. Pearl Harbor vista had what three commentaries? and I don't think it had an isolated score.
    Adam_S

19. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

This sounds like an amazing package from a collector's perspective. But with all these soundtracks, i fear its going to look even worse than the 2-disc version from a videophile's perspective. Let hope they proove me wrong.

20. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Two words....HOLY F***ING CRAP!!

Sorry, but that is what popped to mind. I knew this disc would be loaded and all, but the two things on it that made my jaw drop and got me giggling like a little girl were the 5.1 isolated sound effects, and the 5.1 isolated score. My coworker and I have been commenting for a while now how there needs to be a DVD-A version of the complete score, as the CD was a little lacking in sound quality compared to some other scores.

The 5.1 track will sound amazing I think. But just imagine this score spread across two DVD-As, just to get all three hours, in 24bit 96KHz surround...drool.

Also, 7.5 MBps for the video should be adequete I think, saying as how only 1hr 45min of video will be needed per disc. Remember, they crammed 3hrs and 8min onto one!