What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (2 Viewers)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Are all cats creatures of habit?

Every night we go down to the basement and watch TV on the big set. — Finn joins us and sits between us on the sofa at around 8:30.
He stays for about an hour and goes upstairs.
He returns an hour later and sleeps between us again for about 40 min. then goes upstairs.
At around 11:30 he comes down again peeks at us around the corner and let’s out loud meows and licks his lips to tell us he is ready for the final feeding of the night and his treats.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Here lately, when I go to feed my cats of a morning, two of them (Harry and Wilma) are out there at the shed ready to be fed, but Sally doesn't come till much later in the morning, and then shows up wanting to be fed.

What's going on? Why is Sally doing this?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are all cats creatures of habit?

Every night we go down to the basement and watch TV on the big set. — Finn joins us and sits between us on the sofa at around 8:30.
He stays for about an hour and goes upstairs.
He returns an hour later and sleeps between us again for about 40 min. then goes upstairs.
At around 11:30 he comes down again peeks at us around the corner and let’s out loud meows and licks his lips to tell us he is ready for the final feeding of the night and his treats.
I think most animals are creatures of habit and daily cycles.

More practically: our cats tell us when we're late for morning treats, make extremely clear when dinner is an hour away, and start herding us to bed when we're taking too long. :laugh:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Here lately, when I go to feed my cats of a morning, two of them (Harry and Wilma) are out there at the shed ready to be fed, but Sally doesn't come till much later in the morning, and then shows up wanting to be fed.

What's going on? Why is Sally doing this?
Behavioral changes can just be cats getting older and becoming grumpy old men and women. Or signs of social changes among them in the household. But changes can be indicators of health problems.

If she's showing new lethargy towards eating, watch for weight loss as that can be a sign of a health issue. Or look for social changes among the group. Are the other two boxing her out of eating at the normal time? Something that might be pressing her to not try to eat at the same time as before? Maybe she's older, needs more sleep, and feels food can come later?

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
OMG, we’ve got an invisible cat. There must have been a sunspot or something that would explain the phenomenon. Wow!
1607892045762.jpeg

1607892100190.jpeg

But, no, there he is, that lump in the bed. I should have know, Buster does like to burrow under the covers.
1607892224844.jpeg

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Early November, a long-time Feline Rescue & Rehome volunteer suddenly and unexpectedly, died. She had moved to the Boston, MA area about 5 years ago. She had three wonderful cats that FuRR felt responsible for. Her family did not want them. It is amazing how often, when a person dies, the family does not want the pets. This is not uncommon.

The 3 are very bonded and we said we’d take all three. We soon discovered that when they said bonded, they meant bonded. After all the stress they went thru, the 3 cats have never been anything but sweet to each other. There has never been a single hiss or sign of aggression amongst them. They do head bump each other and rub bodies. It is wonderful.

They are also people cats. Harry was quickest to adapt, on the first day he was hardly afraid of us. By the end of a week they had all acclimated. They were never terrified, but Buster and Huck were shy. Now, both my wife and I end up sleeping with cats between our legs.

Here’s Harry:
1607893285285.jpeg

Here’s Huck:
1607893354419.jpeg

Here’s Buster again:
1607893427913.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
To follow up:
While we are thrilled to have these great cats join our family, we’d much prefer that Moira still be with us and still loving her babies. Make no mistake, Moira really doted on her kids and dressed them for photos. The costumes came with us and that’s why they tolerated us doing it.

We’ve had 3 previous polydactyls and all of them were wonderful. They feet are wonderful but the personality of all our polys has just been fabulous. Now we’ve got 3 additional cats with great, loving personalities.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Growing up, our cats were often the opposite. We'd try and pull coverings over them on cold days and they didn't seem to like to be covered up.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Growing up, our cats were often the opposite. We'd try and pull coverings over them on cold days and they didn't seem to like to be covered up.
That is the case in our house - cats never want you to do things to benefit them, like cover them with a blanket or pick them up and snuggle. It all has to be on THEIR terms! :lol:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Our Finn loves the huge plastic bags that the Costco paper towels come in. He is about 25 lbs, so fitting in a bag is a rarity. Of you place the bag on the floor with one end open he rams himself in in about 5 seconds. Then you have to play “don’t-dare-touch-the-bag-from-the-other-side-or-I-will-bite-you” and be on the anti-suffocation team until he gets tired of the whole experience and moves on.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Our Finn loves the huge plastic bags that the Costco paper towels come in. He is about 25 lbs, so fitting in a bag is a rarity. Of you place the bag on the floor with one end open he rams himself in in about 5 seconds. Then you have to play “don’t-dare-touch-the-bag-from-the-other-side-or-I-will-bite-you” and be on the anti-suffocation team until he gets tired of the whole experience and moves on.
It’s one of those crinkly bags isn’t it? Cats love those, but I’m glad you supervise.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
25 lbs? That's a lot of cat...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Larsenv
    Recent bookmarks