The Official HTF Cat Thread

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
P1060484_resized.jpg

My current foster kitty, sitting in my (his) chair. He needs to gain weight to make the neuter limit. Very hyper kitty, partly because he doesn't have a pal. I really prefer to foster them in pairs or more, but he was by himself. VERY vocal when he is hungry and makes cute little squeaks commenting on this and that.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Elizabeth,

You and I are servants of kitties, approaching the subject from different angles. You foster kittens: I adopt older cats that have been cast off by former owners. I adopted Maggie the moggie last year at age 5 from the shelter. She has a few emotional issues but is gradually adopting well to her new situation.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
This is Toby. He lived with us for most of his 16 years (my daughters cat). I always referred to him as the ghost, because you would never see him. He suffered from horrible anxiety until the last year or so when he really seemed to enjoy things. Toby passed away today. Damn it sucks to lose your furry friends.

1603989592647.png

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Tonight I'll be trying to trap this troublemaker (we nicknamed him Big Boy) to get him TNR'd in Carson City on Tuesday morning, along with another troublemaking Tom, a long-haired orange tabby we've nicknamed Morris. The two are mortal enemies, so it could make for an interesting 2-hour drive into the city. Both cats have been stopping by to eat from my colony's food bowls. Big Boy has been pushing my outdoor cats out of their shelters, while Morris has been beating up not only Big Boy but my cats as well. 20201029_112922.jpg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
IMG_0750.JPG

My cat Pancake died this morning. She was the most curious, and loving cat I ever had. One of a kind. I'm really sad.

Also this is the strangest thing. My dog Baxter was laying right beside her last night, he never sleeps in the front hallway where Pancake claimed as her spot, and he never paid attention to her for all the years I had them.
, Baxter didn't respond when I offered him a treat. He wasn't sleeping, just laying next to her, and she was sleeping. I thought it was very odd, and said "good boy, you keep her company" and went to bed.
He must have sensed something was not right. I woke up this morning to find she had passed away sometime during the night.

I'm happy I gave her a good home but sometimes I wonder why we have pets at all. The joy they bring is nice, but the strong feeling of sadness after they leave us can lead to depression. Especially at bad times in our lives.
I hope Baxter lives a very long life. I don't want to go through this again for a long time!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
View attachment 81419
My cat Pancake died this morning. She was the most curious, and loving cat I ever had. One of a kind. I'm really sad.

Also this is the strangest thing. My dog Baxter was laying right beside her last night, he never sleeps in the front hallway where Pancake claimed as her spot, and he never paid attention to her for all the years I had them.
, Baxter didn't respond when I offered him a treat. He wasn't sleeping, just laying next to her, and she was sleeping. I thought it was very odd, and said "good boy, you keep her company" and went to bed.
He must have sensed something was not right. I woke up this morning to find she had passed away sometime during the night.

I'm happy I gave her a good home but sometimes I wonder why we have pets at all. The joy they bring is nice, but the strong feeling of sadness after they leave us can lead to depression. Especially at bad times in our lives.
I hope Baxter lives a very long life. I don't want to go through this again for a long time!
It's tough to lose a pet.

Animals pick up on those things. As Xena's health quickly deteriorated earlier this year just before she passed, both Buddy and Bella (our younger cats) would check on her periodically, but otherwise left her alone, actually respecting her desire to not be pestered or want to play). After we made the difficult decision to have Xena put down when she was obviously in pain and not getting any better (essentially nothing but skin and bones), Buddy and Bella would look for her, with Buddy even calling you for her with his little chirps, for almost a week until they realized she wasn't coming back.

Although Baxter probably ignored Pancake for most of their life together, he will likely be mourning her passing along with you. Condolences to you, Baxter, and the rest of your family.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Bryan^H

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
@Bryan^H I have had multiple cats over my lifetime said goodbye multiple times. It always hurts but I take comfort that we gave them good lives they might not have had. We are getting up there in the age department and in our house now, is our last cat, whoever that may be. That bothers me the most.

Hang in there Brian and sweet dreams Pancake.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Tonight I'll be trying to trap this troublemaker (we nicknamed him Big Boy) to get him TNR'd in Carson City on Tuesday morning, along with another troublemaking Tom, a long-haired orange tabby we've nicknamed Morris. The two are mortal enemies, so it could make for an interesting 2-hour drive into the city. Both cats have been stopping by to eat from my colony's food bowls. Big Boy has been pushing my outdoor cats out of their shelters, while Morris has been beating up not only Big Boy but my cats as well. View attachment 81336
No luck catching either of these troublemakers, but I did manage to take a young 6-month male kitten I found sitting in the middle of the street in to get fixed. Sweet little guy, too. I was checking my traps and saw him about half a block away just sitting in the street, and when a car passed by and he didn't even flinch, I was determined to investigate. As I approached, he did not budge from his spot in the road, and at first I thought he had a mouse or something at his feet, which would make sense as to why he would not move. Turned out to be his fluffy black tail wrapped around his feet! As I got within inches of him, he nudged toward me and started rubbing against my feet. I picked him up, and he was completely comfortable with it. I heard some kids playing in the backyard at the house across the street, so I took him over and asked if this was their cat. The young boy said that he was, so I asked if one of his parents were home. His mother came to the door, and I asked again if this was their cat. She said that he was, and that Zero was about 6 months old, the son of their older cat that recently died from.... getting hit by a car. I asked if he was neutered, and she said that he wasn't, that she kept meaning to but it was too expensive and she couldn't afford to take time off from work and find a babysitter (nearest vet is 60 miles away). I offered to take him with me to the Nevada Humane Society in Carson City, as I had an appointment for up to 3 feral cats the next morning to be TNR'd. She was a little reluctant at first, which I understood - how would you feel if some stranger came to your door with your cat, asking if he can take him into the city for the day? Add in the factor that there are a number of people in this town who absolutely hate cats....

Zero got through his surgery with flying colors, and although he was a bit noisy on the drive in to Carson City, I did have to stop twice to check on him during the long 2-hour drive home, as he was completely silent the entire way - he was just still a little groggy from his surgery. Zero was returned home last night, and I'll be checking on him later today when I pick up my pet carrier.

Last edited:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
View attachment 81419

Bryan, deeply sorry for your loss.

As you might surmise I can really relate to your pain right now. It's been a week today since Toby passed and it hasn't gotten any easier to think about. I understand your point completely on why...I have asked myself that every day for a week. My wife and I are very close friends with a couple, the husband who I worked with for 30ish years. They retired early, no kids and are quite comfortable. They were huge dog lovers since we've been friends but since their last two passed steadfastly refuse to get another. Sometimes I think it is for this exact reason. In my heart, I really hope that I don't go this route, but the sadness right now sure does suck.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niloc