What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
sooty magic.jpg
Sooty and Magic side by side rare as they don't like each other much but often they get side by side together.

magic1.jpg

Magic likes to show how sexy he is on the bed.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
About a month ago, I had to say goodbye to Lucky, who was my other cat that I adopted back in 2006. He has been battling health issues for the past 2 years, and it got to a point where I had to make the tough decision to let him go.

He was a tuxedo cat, having a half black, half white nose. And he loved to eat, and would roll on the floor whenever he wanted food. I had him for 13 years. Even though I did end up adopting another cat 2 weeks later, I am still not completely over the loss of Lucky.

DSC09457.JPG
luc.jpg
20190704_112054.jpg

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My condolences, @Walter C . Our eldest cat Xena, 15, has taken ill and prognosis is not good. Her healthy weight has been 9 pounds, but she's been refusing to eat, has had chronic diarrhea since Christmas, and at the vet she was 6.1 pounds. Vet put her on a high calorie diet plus medication, which seemed to work for the first few days, gaining about half a pound. Then she stopped eating again and dropped down to 5.1 pounds. The vet gave her a steroid shot today and gave us some premium kitten kibble (which she practically devoured in the exam room) to supplement her diet. It's a hail mary, in hopes that she'll begin putting on weight again. If not, we'll probably have to put her down by the end of the week if her health does not improve.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Thanks Todd, and sorry to hear about Xena. It does sound similar to what Lucky went through, and in short, when he stopped eating in addition to other health issues, I felt like it was time to let him go. I just did not want to go through the difficulty of giving him appetite stimulants in addition to all the other meds that he was taking, as he was also a diabetic.

Hope things get better!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
About a month ago, I had to say goodbye to Lucky, who was my other cat that I adopted back in 2006. He has been battling health issues for the past 2 years, and it got to a point where I had to make the tough decision to let him go.

He was a tuxedo cat, having a half black, half white nose. And he loved to eat, and would roll on the floor whenever he wanted food. I had him for 13 years. Even though I did end up adopting another cat 2 weeks later, I am still not completely over the loss of Lucky.

View attachment 68426 View attachment 68427 View attachment 68428
So sorry about the passing of Lucky. I love his face markings.

My condolences, @Walter C . Our eldest cat Xena, 15, has taken ill and prognosis is not good. Her healthy weight has been 9 pounds, but she's been refusing to eat, has had chronic diarrhea since Christmas, and at the vet she was 6.1 pounds. Vet put her on a high calorie diet plus medication, which seemed to work for the first few days, gaining about half a pound. Then she stopped eating again and dropped down to 5.1 pounds. The vet gave her a steroid shot today and gave us some premium kitten kibble (which she practically devoured in the exam room) to supplement her diet. It's a hail mary, in hopes that she'll begin putting on weight again. If not, we'll probably have to put her down by the end of the week if her health does not improve.
Have you done blood work on Xena? That will go a long way in determining her overall health. Good luck to Xena.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Have you done blood work on Xena? That will go a long way in determining her overall health. Good luck to Xena.
Thank you. Yes, and based on that the vet determined it's her thyroid. Everything else looked good. She perked up a bit today, eating what was offered her, and just a few minutes ago, she actually demanded food. We are (have been) praying that this is her rebounding and not the final perk up before passing.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Xena has plateaued, and it is taking an awful lot to coax her to eat, so much so that we had to cancel our travel plans for this weekend to stay home and nurse her.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thanks. Had to make another 2-hour round trip to the vet for subcu fluids today to administer to Xena here at home. She barely ate today, but she's also dehydrated. Hoping the saline will help.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The subcu fluids did not go well last night, making Xena very uncomfortable, and we didn't expect her to last the night. We moved her into her bed at 4am, letting her stay between us in bed. She is still very uncomfortable, refusing food and water, and we decided to stop all meds and subcu fluids at this point, allowing nature to take its course, as it seems that is what Xena wants. I'm keeping her company this morning, comforting her and making sure the other cats leave her alone. Xena is finding the score to "Being Rose" to be soothing and relaxing as we spend what may be our last hours together.
20200214_082603.jpg

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Thanks Johnny and Malcolm! I will definitely miss looking at his face markings, and him rolling on the floor to get good.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sad news today. Yesterday, we had to make the difficult decision to help Xena transition to her final rest. She was always a very stubborn cat, and when it looked like she was about to go, she would muster up enough strength to get out of her bed and take a few steps before stopping and resting. She had completely lost virtually all of her muscle mass, so it was very difficult to see her try to walk or even lift her head. My wife had never had to decide put down an animal before, except under extreme conditions (car accident, animal attack, etc), so this decision was much more difficult for her. Our vet definitely helped in making this tough decision, even more so when we arrived at her office and she saw how much Xena had deteriorated in the week since she had last seen her. Xena went peacefully last evening at 5pm PST, accepting the two injections without any objections or discomfort. She will be missed... Our two youngsters, Buddy and Bella, have been very comforting to us when we got home last night and continue to do so this morning.
Rose Petals.jpg Xena Jr.jpg Xena Playing.jpg Xena-Bella-Buddy.jpg
That's me in the last photo, doling out treats. Clockwise, Xena, Bella, Buddy.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Condolences. Very difficult decision. My family's had to do it for all three of our cats over the years. That's one reason we may never have another. It gets harder and harder each time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks