1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Official HTF Cat Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Greg_S_H, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    No, there’s no danger of that. However, like the Grinch, your heart will grow larger.

David Willow and questrider like this.
  2. questrider

questrider Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Brian
    I've had 12 cats proper in my lifetime. So I'm on the bus to Crazy Cat Ladyland with you!

David Willow and Johnny Angell like this.
  3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
  4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    Oh dear I'm worried that I'm off to something like this.

David Willow likes this.
  5. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I picked up 3 new foster kittens yesterday evening. They are about 5 - 6 weeks old and too little for spaying/neutering. I was told they were "shy" and may hide and need to be socialized. They were turned in as strays, according to their info card.

Well, they are wild, I tell you!! They spent all night trying to get out the window and yowling and crying. 2 of them escaped from their barricaded area without 10 minutes of leaving their carrier by
    climbing the window screen, tightrope walking along the window ledge, then hopping on the kitchen counter. They hiss if I get too close. I had to bring out a huge cardboard piece to block access to the counter and remove the closest window screen. They are climbing so much that I can't open the louvers very much in case they rip out the screen -- and it's hot as it is. They are using the litterbox (but messily) and have not eaten any of the wet food I've put out several times. They may have eaten some dry food overnight, but hard to tell as it was scattered all over this morning.

So I guess this group will be an adventure. :D

6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I think 5-6 weeks old is young enough to socialize. Good for you.

7. Message #1627 of 1667 Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    About two years ago our two children started adopting cats, some from the street, and we now have six. This is Riyo who was saved from an abandoned lot in a tough part of Lexington, KY, when my son was in college there. Riyo has in turn somehow adopted me above all other family members, and I was not exactly a cat person. But she lays on my lap, writhes, plays, kisses the back of my head when I'm sitting on the couch, etc. With attention like that I admit I've become fond of Riyo, and sometimes give her little extra snacks. (Maybe I have the cat virus now?)

Perhaps because of malnutrition as a kitten (when my kids found her she seemed close to starving and dehydrated) she has a meow that sounds a little like a cross between a cricket and a frog croak. Strange but endearing. And I'm not sure if it's clear from this photo but her eyes are very slightly out of kilter.

Riyo is a character in the Star Wars universe, and it's a name my daughter chose....

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Riyo_Chuchi

riyo.

8. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    A little progress with the kitties.

Last night, 2 of the 3 actually ate the wet food! One of them seemed so famished that I had barely stepped away before she was eating. The other tabby ate pretty well, too. The ginger kitten has no interest in wet food; however, some dry food was eaten overnight, hopefully by him.

They are not always hiding now. Last night, a couple of them were lying on the cat tree and didn't move when they saw me beyond the barrier. If I enter their area, they will generally go behind the box or under the cart. The ginger one actually stayed on the cat tree while I was cleaning the litter box.

Still a lot of crying last night, mainly from the ginger.

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Maggie is breaking into the clodder slowly but surely. She goes up and down with respect to getting along with Dukie. Today was a real high point. After several feints, she got up on my lap and took a nap. This while I was sitting on one end of the sofa with Dukie sound asleep on the other end.

10. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Good work.

Do you have any pix you feel like sharing?

11. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Yes, will post photos soon (as usual). I will be able to take some now that they are not always hiding! I plan to make a big display board at home eventually of all the kitties I've fostered.

questrider, benbess and Malcolm R like this.
  12. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    That is just awesome that you foster all these kitties. I would love to do that but I'd want to keep them all. :wub:

dvdclon, questrider and Malcolm R like this.
  13. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    David, yes, it is not easy turning them back in to be put up for adoption!! I was especially attached to a few of them. I just always picture them going to a family with lots of people to play with and perhaps other pets. If I had my own, I don't have anyone who could watch my kitty when I travel, which I do quite regularly. So for now, fostering suits me well. It is quite an interesting experience seeing all the different personalities. My first fostering experience was actually the most difficult -- an 8-month old who occasionally liked petting time, but was otherwise extremely aggressive and always attacked my legs. Once, when I was kneeling down, he jumped at my face and I only just got my arm up in time.

I was relieved that the ginger kitten finally ate some wet food last night. And there was quite a lot of dry food eaten overnight.

Here are a couple of photos of my current 3 -- still hard to "catch" them at the right time! My hunch is that the ginger will be the first one to approach me eventually. He seems the most curious about the human. :D

two kitties. tabby.

14. questrider

questrider Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Brian
    They always seem to come around on the wet food. My Simon sniffed at the bowl during feeding time when he first set up shop here at my house. But a few days later he came around and was giving it a lick. Nowadays he's on the counter when I'm weighing it into bowls for dinner so he can be in on all the action. I'm not a fan of him being in my way when I'm spooning up the junk but it is kind of cute to see him so excited as a part of the after-work routine.

KPmusmag, David Willow and dvdclon like this.
  15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    IMG_2645.
    Please, someone love me / feed me / hold me / pay attention to me!

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
  17. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    catwoman.

18. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    The ginger has decided he's not into wet food after all. . .for now. He is consistently the only kitty who will lay around in the open and will not flee unless I reach for him. I can put my face 18 inches away from his and he'll just look at me.

Yesterday, I brought out the wand toy with the feathers. The 2 tabbies were wild about it, jumping and grabbing and trying to drag it away. Little ginger sat and watched. He is a little too passive and I worry about him. The female was so riveted by the toy she actually came within a foot of me when I dangled it near. She wouldn't go for the "feather toy in the hand" to get her to touch my hand, though.

Oh, and the girl escaped their barricaded area again on Saturday. I came back from the other room to see the ginger atop my media shelf and one hop from the living room. We both froze and looked at each other, then he turned around and jumped back into their area. I then realized the girl tabby was already in the living room. She ran into the kitchen area behind some boxes but ran past me when I went to get her. Somehow scrambled up and over into their area and made a flying leap from a storage cabinet onto the cart. She was like a flying squirrel -- that was a 3-foot jump!! I really underestimated these kitties' climbing and jumping abilities!! Hopefully, now I've moved a few things to prevent another escape.

Now that the kitties have stopped yowling, they are so silent. I may only hear an occasional sound when they are wrestling.

David Willow, dvdclon and Sam Posten like this.
  19. Message #1639 of 1667 Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    David Willow likes this.
  20. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Dukie and Maggie now share birdwatching duties.

D and M birdwatching.JPG

LeoA, David Willow, Malcolm R and 3 others like this.