What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (3 Viewers)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Looks like Sammy has been adopted as he is no longer posted on the Humane Society site. Mia and Micki just went up for adoption a few days ago.

Seeing the different personalities of the kittens and having them become accustomed to me is wonderful. Hard to give them back and put up for adoption (though fulltime ownership is not for me at the moment). Twice now I've found myself initially attracted to the outgoing kitten but being totally won over by the initially shy/aloof one.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Color me shocked. The female cat I had TNR'd (she was fixed the same time as Buddy, and we jokingly refer to her as "Buddy's Sister" since she was estimated to be the same age and have similar markings) back in April showed up in my backyard yesterday nursing a kitten, then showed up later that day with all three of her kittens!!
20180710_140906.jpg 20180710_141419_HDR.jpg 20180710_141425.jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Color me shocked. The female cat I had TNR'd (she was fixed the same time as Buddy, and we jokingly refer to her as "Buddy's Sister" since she was estimated to be the same age and have similar markings) back in April showed up in my backyard yesterday nursing a kitten, then showed up later that day with all three of her kittens!!
View attachment 47645 View attachment 47646 View attachment 47647
I think a word with the veterinarian is in order. That should not have happened. You’re positive it’s the same cat?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I can't really complain, as the humane society is fixing my ferals at no charge as part of their TNR program.

And Yes, I'm positive it is the same cat. I waited by the door, phone in hand, snapping photos, and when she got up to stretch her legs, I saw that her left ear had been "notched" (look at the last two photos), which the humane society does after a feral has been spayed or neutered.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I can't really complain, as the humane society is fixing my ferals at no charge as part of their TNR program.

And Yes, I'm positive it is the same cat. I waited by the door, phone in hand, snapping photos, and when she got up to stretch her legs, I saw that her left ear had been "notched" (look at the last two photos), which the humane society does after a feral has been spayed or neutered.
I would inform the HS that you’ve got a spayed female nursing kittens. They will want to know.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I've already given them a heads up that I'm going to try and trap her next week. One of her kittens also has conjunctivitis, so I want to trap her as well so she can be seen by a vet.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm pretty sure I heard on one of the vet shows recently on Animal Planet, that with cats they only partially remove the reproductive organs during a spay. Seems like if this isn't done exactly right, it might not always successfully prevent pregnancy.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm pretty sure I heard on one of the vet shows recently on Animal Planet, that with cats they only partially remove the reproductive organs during a spay. Seems like if this isn't done exactly right, it might not always successfully prevent pregnancy.
Yeah, things have changed a lot when it comes to "fixing" cats since I was growing up. I actually questioned if many of the males were getting fixed because they still had their scrotum sacks. I found out that the sacks are no longer removed like they used to do - it's supposed to reduce the time for healing, which is good since it's really difficult to foster a truly feral cat in your home. The Humane Society asks me to hold them in their carriers in a secure place until the morning after their procedure - this goes for males and females.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, things have changed a lot when it comes to "fixing" cats since I was growing up. I actually questioned if many of the males were getting fixed because they still had their scrotum sacks. I found out that the sacks are no longer removed like they used to do - it's supposed to reduce the time for healing, which is good since it's really difficult to foster a truly feral cat in your home. The Humane Society asks me to hold them in their carriers in a secure place until the morning after their procedure - this goes for males and females.
Interesting. My Mother adopted a male cat several years ago. We were told he was fixed, but he still has his sack, so we've been kind of suspicious. I think he probably is neutered, based on his behavior.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks