What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (2 Viewers)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thank you everyone... It was a tough weekend. This time it was very tough because it was so quick, the doctor said it probably took just 2 weeks from start to this point, very aggressive... When my other cat got Lymphoma we where able to give him protozoan and stretch it out for 6 more months allowing us to spoil him some and say goodbye. Thanks again everyone it was appreciated.
What is Protozoan?

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
What is Protozoan?

oops... Did I mention that I'm a horrible speller that get auto corrected to the wrong word. :)

It should have been: Predisone

Basically a steroid that will shrink it for a while and allow then to be comfortable for a period of time. Normally about 3 months but in our case we got 6 more months. It is less aggressive then going full on chemotherapy. You can give it at home vs having to go into the vet every couple days.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Our 16 year old buddy "Poofy" as my daughter named him when she was little, has gone downhill. Doctor found some issues but he's not strong enough to handle now. He has been hiding and can't get up to go to bathroom, his meow is barely audible now, so we are contacting vet to see if we can get him in and let him pass in peace.

It's been a sad few days at our house. Kids are taking it hard since he's been their best bud for many years. He will be missed. :(

Attachments

• poof.jpg
    poof.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 48

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So sorry about Poofy, Alf. 16 years is old. You could ask your vet if he though daily hydrations would help. It can actually be a miracle worker sometimes.

As far as euthanasia, I'd like to recommend you or the one he's most attuned to, to stay with him all the way. This can be hard, but it will be good for Poofy, and you will feel better in the long run, knowing you did you best.

So sorry about Poofy.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Thanks, yeah it's tough. I hate playing God.

I'm sure my wife and I will go with him. Man I hate this. You wouldn't think a pet would evoke such strong emotions with us humans.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I'm sure my wife and I will go with him. Man I hate this. You wouldn't think a pet would evoke such strong emotions with us humans.
I've been there Alf. These sweet creatures become family. Their passing if emotional. I cry like a baby.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller

So sorry to hear about your kitty. Having just gone through it, there is no easy time. Just need to weigh are they suffering and make a call based on that. My warmest wishes are with you and your family.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
So sorry about Poofy, Alf. 16 years is old. You could ask your vet if he though daily hydrations would help. It can actually be a miracle worker sometimes.

As far as euthanasia, I'd like to recommend you or the one he's most attuned to, to stay with him all the way. This can be hard, but it will be good for Poofy, and you will feel better in the long run, knowing you did you best.

So sorry about Poofy.

Is there a way to do euthanasia at home when it gets to that point? My cat is 17, still doing great, but the time will come.

Took her to the vet for a check-up recently and she was absolutely terrified, peed in the crate, peed on the vet's table. Very stressed out and cried all the way. Even though my vet is only 1/2 mile away, I don't want to put her through that again. She is strictly a house cat, although she did finally go outside a few days ago, very strange, first time in about ten years.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Our 16 year old buddy "Poofy" as my daughter named him when she was little, has gone downhill. Doctor found some issues but he's not strong enough to handle now. He has been hiding and can't get up to go to bathroom, his meow is barely audible now, so we are contacting vet to see if we can get him in and let him pass in peace.

It's been a sad few days at our house. Kids are taking it hard since he's been their best bud for many years. He will be missed. :(

I am sorry to hear about Poofy. You will make the right decision. I know how tough it is having been through it recently but now looking back I know it was the best thing we could do. Be strong and hug Poofy for me.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Is there a way to do euthanasia at home when it gets to that point? My cat is 17, still doing great, but the time will come.

Took her to the vet for a check-up recently and she was absolutely terrified, peed in the crate, peed on the vet's table. Very stressed out and cried all the way. Even though my vet is only 1/2 mile away, I don't want to put her through that again. She is strictly a house cat, although she did finally go outside a few days ago, very strange, first time in about ten years.
Ask your vet if he will do house calls. If not, contact humane organizations in your area asking for a vet who will. Before it's needed, is a good time to make preparations. I know in my area, we have a vet on Facebook who's entire business is house calls. Regular type visits and the other. Dig out the yellow pages (if the exist) and start making calls.

There's no way for you to do it yourself.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Had one last chat with the vet today and I asked her honest opinion and she said if he was her cat, she would go ahead and put him to sleep. She said "It's time".

So noon on Wednesday is the day. Gonna be a lot of tears between now and then.

I really do hat having to play God with his life. But he's suffering too much. He needs peace.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Had one last chat with the vet today and I asked her honest opinion and she said if he was her cat, she would go ahead and put him to sleep. She said "It's time".

I really do hat having to play God with his life. But he's suffering too much. He needs peace.
He needs you now to give him his peace. When I've had to make the decision, I've always been torn. Have I done it too late or too soon. My peace with the decision comes later. I talk and stroke my baby all the way through the process. I want my sweetheart to know I'm there all the way.

There are companies that will cremate your pet and return him in an urn if this is something you would like to do.

Don't spare the tears. They're good for everyone.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Stan: I thought of you when there was an article in my local paper this weekend on that very subject.

I really do hate having to play God with his life. But he's suffering too much. He needs peace.

You wouldn't think a pet would evoke such strong emotions with us humans.

That's just it. The human/animal bond can be so strong that the hurt can be really tough when the physical manifestation of that bond is broken. But that's what's so great about animals. The emotional bond may weaken over time...but never totally.

You're not really playing God. You are just taking good care of an animal...just as you have during its entire lifetime.

Congratulations to you and your family for having such a great relationship with your cat. So sorry for your loss. Don't fight the tears...and be sure to celebrate the essence of why things were so good.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Stan: I thought of you when there was an article in my local paper this weekend on that very subject.

That's just it. The human/animal bond can be so strong that the hurt can be really tough when the physical manifestation of that bond is broken. But that's what's so great about animals. The emotional bond may weaken over time...but never totally.

You're not really playing God. You are just taking good care of an animal...just as you have during its entire lifetime.

Congratulations to you and your family for having such a great relationship with your cat. So sorry for your loss. Don't fight the tears...and be sure to celebrate the essence of why things were so good.
That's a good article, Mike.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
As of 1pm CST, our beloved Poofy went back to his perfect body and is running around happily in heaven.

R.I.P Poof.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks