What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The wiley tigercat senses prey....sets the trap...and springs it! IMG_8513.JPG IMG_8514.JPG IMG_8518.JPG IMG_8516.JPG

I was stuck for ten minutes scratching Dash's chin. :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
When I feed Sasha each morning she usually keeps an eye on the proceedings from atop the breakfast table. She stays there while I fill her dry food and change her water. Then, when she sees me put a can of her wet food on the kitchen counter, she performs what I call Sasha's Morning Leap.

I set up my iPhone to record slow motion video. The distance from the breakfast table to the corner of the counter is about 4.5 feet. The video is available here:

http://www.thephotobooth.net/Family/Sasha/n-FX9Qsc/i-jT9TV5P

Mark

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well Olivia, the invisible hermit has been very public the past few days, even tolerating my black lab, who would never hurt her.

She's slept with me, sat on my lap while watching TV, it's really strange, but nice to have her around again. Maybe taking care of the pit-bull scared her, but with him gone, she's become a much more normal cat.

Don't know what happened with the pit. I signed the papers and chose the "do not inform me" box. He was a good dog, so I hope he found a good home, but I just couldn't do it.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Stan, it's good to hear Olivia is making an appearance. Now that she's come out of hiding we need some pics! :)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
When I feed Sasha each morning she usually keeps an eye on the proceedings from atop the breakfast table. She stays there while I fill her dry food and change her water. Then, when she sees me put a can of her wet food on the kitchen counter, she performs what I call Sasha's Morning Leap.

I set up my iPhone to record slow motion video. The distance from the breakfast table to the corner of the counter is about 4.5 feet. The video is available here:

http://www.thephotobooth.net/Family/Sasha/n-FX9Qsc/i-jT9TV5P

Mark
Pretty kitty

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well my Siamese has now gone from being cute and cuddly, to down-right annoying. After years of literally seeing her maybe once a week, she's now with me constantly.

Doing that "kneading" thing on my abs, sleeping right in my face, she's even more of a bed hog than my black lab. I roll over and there's the cat, purring and drooling.

Thought maybe it's because of her age, 17. Maybe something they do as they sense life is coming to an end, but she's perfectly healthy, just suddenly very affectionate.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Do cats experience dementia?

We have a 16-year old Spaniel, nearing the end of her life, who is in the full throes of dementia (along with other physical ailments such as blindness and deafness). But her interaction skills radically changed with the onset of the canine dementia.

It changed how she interacted with my wife and I (she became more distant) but drew her closer to our other dog--who became her guide/therapy dog and someone she could depend upon as her cognitive skills slipped away.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Do cats experience dementia?

We have a 16-year old Spaniel, nearing the end of her life, who is in the full throes of dementia (along with other physical ailments such as blindness and deafness). But her interaction skills radically changed with the onset of the canine dementia.

It changed how she interacted with my wife and I (she became more distant) but drew her closer to our other dog--who became her guide/therapy dog and someone she could depend upon as her cognitive skills slipped away.
Cats are weird to start with, so it's sometimes hard to tell. Sorry to make light of a serious situation. Older cats can become less responsive but that might be because their sight and hearing have deteriorated. I've not seen anything that I could definitely call dementia.

I so so sorry about your Spaniel, I know that is upsetting to lose the connection with your dog. It's a blessing the dog has found companionship with your other dog.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Well my Siamese has now gone from being cute and cuddly, to down-right annoying. After years of literally seeing her maybe once a week, she's now with me constantly.

Doing that "kneading" thing on my abs, sleeping right in my face, she's even more of a bed hog than my black lab. I roll over and there's the cat, purring and drooling.

Thought maybe it's because of her age, 17. Maybe something they do as they sense life is coming to an end, but she's perfectly healthy, just suddenly very affectionate.

That sounds to me like a perfectly good buddy cat! However, I can understand that for you, Stan, after years of only seeing her once a week or so it could be misconstrued as annoying because it's not behavior that you're accustomed to. But I can assure you—and many others in this thread can also attest to—that this is standard operating procedure for Felis catus. Embrace her and enjoy!

And now that she's out and about, post some pictures! I, for one, would like to see this Siamese domestic goddess!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's a blessing the dog has found companionship with your other dog.

Except, unfortunately, my other dog passed unexpectedly this weekend...leaving the spaniel very much alone. And that absence seems to be having a visible impact on her ability to get around. :(

But this is one moderator which does NOT want to derail the CAT thread. ;) Any canine comments should be made over in that linked thread. :thumbsup:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Except, unfortunately, my other dog passed unexpectedly this weekend...leaving the spaniel very much alone. And that absence seems to be having a visible impact on her ability to get around. :(

But this is one moderator which does NOT want to derail the CAT thread. ;) Any canine comments should be made over in that linked thread. :thumbsup:

I'm very sorry Mike. Animals, whether cats or dogs (or whatever) are part of the family and it hurts to lose one. I hope your other doggie can adjust and carry on.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Yup. That sounds about normal. My ragdoll suddenly decided sleeping beside me wasn't good enough. He wanted my pillow as well. We comprised. He got the pillow.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I'm so sorry Mike, you have my sympathies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks