What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (5 Viewers)

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Congrats, Brian!

Them eyes is sumpin'! :D

Simon is a nice name. But you could always consider Steve or Paul...

123.gif
images

Both are good ideas. The dual benefit of naming him Newman would be whenever he causes trouble or knocks something over I could mutter "Newman!" with Seinfeldian flair.

Similarly, I always thought it would be fun to have a cat named Indy so in the same situations you could exclaim "Jones!" like Belloq does after the Flying Wing blows up in Tanis.

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
There's a neighborhood cat, wild, tiny little thing, maybe 6-7 pounds. Very street smart, knows how to avoid traffic, dogs, etc. I'd love to take him in, but can't get near him. He jumps the fence and will relax in my yard sometimes, but just bolts if I open the door. He probably wouldn't adapt very well to home life anyway. Sadly, cats like him don't live very long lives, he does his own thing.

As it gets colder, may try to lure him in with food, but he's very set in his ways.

Sadly, don't think this little guy is with us any longer. Haven't seen him in almost a month. Maybe he's had a home all this time and as the weather has cooled, he's not allowed out. I hope for the best, but he always had that wild, feral cat type of attitude, probably never know what has happened with him.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This little guy is something else. :3dglasses:

simon_04.png

I haven't had a kitten for 20 years so having Simon around is an eye-opening gift that will continue to keep on giving! :blink: :cool: :eek: :)

Very cute. Looks a lot like my Siamese mix. She's in perfect health. Never kept track of the dates, but she's at least 20+ years old. Hope Simon lives a long life like mine has.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
A day early but....not a creature was stirring

View attachment 35656
So nice to have a cat that's actually part of your life.

I literally might see mine once or twice a week and she certainly doesn't lay around on the furniture like that. Repeating myself, but got her and her brother about 20 years ago. Wonderful, outgoing cuddly cats. Brother mysteriously died at four years old and she became the invisible hermit. Food, water disappears and the litterbox gets used so I know she's alive, but absolutely zero contact with me or the dogs.

She even used to sleep with the various dogs I've had, always best buddies, but something changed when her brother passed away :(

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sad that she was apparently so traumatized by her brother's death and has never recovered. It's good that you are willing to still care for her and keep her safe and comfortable despite the one-sided relationship. Some would not be willing to keep that up, especially for so many years. Frustrating though it may be, you can feel good about doing the right thing.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
So nice to have a cat that's actually part of your life.

I literally might see mine once or twice a week and she certainly doesn't lay around on the furniture like that. Repeating myself, but got her and her brother about 20 years ago. Wonderful, outgoing cuddly cats. Brother mysteriously died at four years old and she became the invisible hermit. Food, water disappears and the litterbox gets used so I know she's alive, but absolutely zero contact with me or the dogs.

She even used to sleep with the various dogs I've had, always best buddies, but something changed when her brother passed away :(

Oh he's part of my life. If I'm at home he's never more than 2 feet away, follows me room to room until I settle in one spot, comes charging downstairs when I get home from work. He's 11, will be 12 in May. Big Maine Coon, twice the size of our Shih Tsu.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Oh he's part of my life. If I'm at home he's never more than 2 feet away, follows me room to room until I settle in one spot, comes charging downstairs when I get home from work. He's 11, will be 12 in May. Big Maine Coon, twice the size of our Shih Tsu.

I know this sounds awful, yet almost looking forward to when she finally passes away. But at 20+ years, in perfect health, I may be waiting a while.

I'd just like a nice, friendly, cuddly cat, not this invisible thing that lives somewhere in the house.

Although she did help out with a mouse problem a few years ago. Had four mice somehow crawl up the cement foundation, under the aluminum siding, chew an opening and move in under my dishwasher. She would sit and stare at the dishwasher for hours, eventually she killed two of them, I put out poison and got another one and the last guy realized all his buddies were dying and left.

She's also very good at spider-proofing the basement :D

A bit OT, I've had a lot of dogs in my life and my grandparents had a Shih Tzu. I did a lot of dog-sitting when they were traveling. The most horrible dog I've ever been exposed to in my life. Unfriendly, major biter, and the grooming to keep that ridiculous hair maintained was awful :eek:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Sad that she was apparently so traumatized by her brother's death and has never recovered. It's good that you are willing to still care for her and keep her safe and comfortable despite the one-sided relationship. Some would not be willing to keep that up, especially for so many years. Frustrating though it may be, you can feel good about doing the right thing.

I'm just to much of an animal lover. Kind of like the situation with the pit-bull from the neighbor that passed away. I'm keeping him, letting him live out a nice, comfortable life. The shelters I've contacted won't guarantee they'd place him so might euthanize him. I won't let that happen.

And no, I'm not one of those crazy, hoarder, cat-lady types (I'm a guy first of all :D). Two dogs and the cat.

The dogs are amazing, became best buddies almost immediately. Run and play together, especially now with a foot of snow on the ground. Sleep next to each other, barely leaving enough room for me in the bed. Hog the best chairs and couches in my TV room, but move when they see me coming.

I will have to take the pit-bull to a groomer to get his nails clipped. That's the only time he gets a little nippy and growly, so I stay away, but otherwise really gentle.

The cat has always been very stealthy, so she knows when he's sleeping and it's safe for her to come out and eat/drink. She'll stop and look at me, totally ignore me and go on her way.

Took her to the vet about a year ago and it did not go well, she was terrified being in a crate, then in the car. I'll just let her live out her life and never put her through that again.

Had a dog that passed away quietly, no problems, no illness, didn't suffer. I hope the cat goes the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks