What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I feel good about adopting an older cat. Most people want kittens, and the shelters are full of older cats. We have the most wonderful shelter here in Boise, with rooms rather than cages. Each room may hold 6 to 8 cats of a similar age and temperament. I just sit on the floor of the room and see which kitties come up to me and try to make friends. These are the ones I take home, in this case Duke at age 2 and Condi at age 4.

Shameless plug http://simplycats.org/

There's a neighborhood cat, wild, tiny little thing, maybe 6-7 pounds. Very street smart, knows how to avoid traffic, dogs, etc. I'd love to take him in, but can't get near him. He jumps the fence and will relax in my yard sometimes, but just bolts if I open the door. He probably wouldn't adapt very well to home life anyway. Sadly, cats like him don't live very long lives, he does his own thing.

As it gets colder, may try to lure him in with food, but he's very set in his ways.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Oh this thing here? Jussssst moving it back for you!
WyCbgvQ.gif

higher quality vid:
http://i.imgur.com/WyCbgvQ.gifv

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
That tigger looks like a punkin puss. Of course Dukie is a punkin puss, and even more importantly the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin is the original punkin puss.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I hate to say it, but I'm thinking that my one cat, Beast, has been officially lost. When I went out to feed the cats for the past two or three days, only Georgia (my gray cat, and Beast's de facto daughter) showed up. I was then today taking a walk down the driveway to get some exercise, when I heard a plaintive meow as I was coming back. I then saw Georgia sitting by the porch, and figured that she must have been mourning. I checked around the underside of the house and could not find her, and then Georgia lowered her head as if to mourn. That's when I thought that Beast could be well and truly written off as lost.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I hate to say it, but I'm thinking that my one cat, Beast, has been officially lost. When I went out to feed the cats for the past two or three days, only Georgia (my gray cat, and Beast's de facto daughter) showed up. I was then today taking a walk down the driveway to get some exercise, when I heard a plaintive meow as I was coming back. I then saw Georgia sitting by the porch, and figured that she must have been mourning. I checked around the underside of the house and could not find her, and then Georgia lowered her head as if to mourn. That's when I thought that Beast could be well and truly written off as lost.

Poor kitty. :(

Stan

Senior HTF Member

I truly think cats do mourn for each other. Had a brother/sister pair of Siamese, loved each other, played, ran around the yard, slept, did everything together.

The boy died at four years old. The sister had a major personality shift that has continued to this day, 16 years later (I know that sounds impossible, but she's still here and in perfect health). She has never been outside since he passed. I'll leave the door open and she will sit inside, just inches from stepping out, but she never does. I can also go days without seeing her, she hibernates in her own special spots, other than the food and water disappearing, and the litter box being used, I'd never know she's alive.

Plus I still have to vacuum the fur, so I know she's lurking somewhere :)

To add a touch of humor... Had a pure white, long-haired cat with sparkling blue eyes. I'd wire the grate, twist ties, paper clips, anything to keep it shut and block the fireplace off, but she always found a way in. She loved to sleep on the fireplace grate. Not good when your fur is totally white. Let's just say she got very used to baths and baby shampoo.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Condolences on the loss of Beast, Ben. It's really sad when they just go missing. As hard as it is to deal with, I think closure is better than the never-ending mystery.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Hello, everyone. I just wanted to introduce my new house mate, Simon. That's the name the rescue gave him. I usually don't keep the names shelters or rescues give cats but all day today he's sure looked and acted like a Simon so we'll see if the name sticks. (Too on the nose for a Siamese?)

I lost my beloved buddy Smudge back in May so since July or August I've been casually looking for a Siamese as I've always wanted one but wasn't in a big hurry. After missing out on about 25 kittens over the summer and fall, I got a call a week and half ago on my birthday that I was approved for the adoption of Simon and reserved this morning to meet him. Within 30 seconds my heart melted and he came home with me.

simon_bears.png

I'm sure I'll post more pictures in the future once he gets comfortable (although it already looks like that is happening in the picture above).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yep, I also see mischief in those beautiful eyes. :blink: Which means you may frequently look like this: :eek: or :rolleyes:

"Simon" seems like a good fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks