What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (3 Viewers)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Quick update on my 18 year old cat and my attempt at removing the tumor from her neck. Sadly she passed away :blink::blink:

Just kidding, she's doing fine, running, jumping and playing, very glad to have that thing not hanging off her neck. Plus I saved over $600 in vet bills and didn't stress her out at all. A rubber band, cut off the blood flow, apparently no nerves, never bothered her and it's gone.

Not saying it's the best way to go, but it did work out in my situation.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My Siamese, who I often refer to as the invisible hermit who lives somewhere in my house, suddenly turned incredibly affectionate, at least for one night.

Slept all of last night cuddled up to me, laying across my arm. Saw more of her last night than probably the past ten years.

But got up this morning and back to normal, she vanished into hibernation mode again.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
For a belated update on my situation as I didn't have the heart to comment earlier. . .I ended up returning the kitten to the organization. I had to keep her a week after I decided until I could return her, and that was a really tough week, getting more attached but knowing I was returning her. It broke my heart and it's easy to say in hindsight that I should have given it more time. But it's done, and I'm hoping she was immediately adopted as she is adorable. The organization was returning her to her foster mother until adoption. I did not have the heart to check their listings right afterward, but as she is now not appearing on their website or Craigslist announcements, I am hoping it means she found a home, hopefully with a family and/or companion cats.

Originally, I was so upset I donated the remaining food and litter to the organization. (I did disassemble but keep my cat tree.) I am feeling that I would like to try again later. I'm not sure if I will go for an adult or try another kitten. In the meantime, I am catproofing all the crannies she got herself into (except under the couch as that is fine as a safe haven). I am also figuring out a barrier for containment in her "cat area" when I first bring her home as well as instances when I can't have her underfoot (like when I am cooking.)

Thanks for your ear and advice. I do think I will be better prepared next time because of this experience.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No harm, no foul, Elizabeth.

You tried it. It didn't work out.

I think you've got exactly the right attitude to keep open the possibility of trying again--even to the point of cat-proofing your house for that day when you're ready.

And rest easy, it won't be hard to place a new, cute kitten. and donating the food and litter was a generous gesture.

As for whether to try an older cat for your next attempt (when the time comes), I'll turn you back over to the cat experts here. :D

All the best.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's better to make the tough decision sooner than later. Sorry it didn't work out, but there's always a cat or dog in the future that will need a loving home. :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I just posted the latest Sasha video, 'Catnip is Awesome!'

http://www.thephotobooth.net/Family/Sasha/n-FX9Qsc/i-hjV8fWs

This is pretty much a morning ritual with Sasha. She waits outside the shower door until I'm finished showering, then she moves to the bedroom carpet just outside the master bath, and then the antics begin. This is one of the best times to hear her talking (showing off her Siamese genes). We really love this little ball of fur!

Mark

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My lovely Siamese has now turned into the most annoying creature on earth.

2 a.m. and she sits in my bedroom doorway, "meow, meow, meow".... So loud it wakes me up. Doesn't need food or water, she just sits there to tick me off. She can jump up in bed with me, no problem. Once in a while she does sleep next to me, but it's rare.

I get out of bed to pick her up, she runs and hides, yet five minutes later, right back in the doorway.

She's like the "eternal" cat, coming up on 20 years but she's so annoying.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My lovely Siamese has now turned into the most annoying creature on earth.

2 a.m. and she sits in my bedroom doorway, "meow, meow, meow".... So loud it wakes me up. Doesn't need food or water, she just sits there to tick me off. She can jump up in bed with me, no problem. Once in a while she does sleep next to me, but it's rare.

I get out of bed to pick her up, she runs and hides, yet five minutes later, right back in the doorway.

She's like the "eternal" cat, coming up on 20 years but she's so annoying.
This is a cat that have never been affectionate and then only briefly. You are seeing unexplained changes in behavior. Between that and the fact that she's almost 20, I'd say you should be concerned about a health issue. IMHO, time to pay a visit to the vet.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
For a belated update on my situation as I didn't have the heart to comment earlier. . .I ended up returning the kitten to the organization. I had to keep her a week after I decided until I could return her, and that was a really tough week, getting more attached but knowing I was returning her. It broke my heart and it's easy to say in hindsight that I should have given it more time. But it's done, and I'm hoping she was immediately adopted as she is adorable. The organization was returning her to her foster mother until adoption. I did not have the heart to check their listings right afterward, but as she is now not appearing on their website or Craigslist announcements, I am hoping it means she found a home, hopefully with a family and/or companion cats.

Originally, I was so upset I donated the remaining food and litter to the organization. (I did disassemble but keep my cat tree.) I am feeling that I would like to try again later. I'm not sure if I will go for an adult or try another kitten. In the meantime, I am catproofing all the crannies she got herself into (except under the couch as that is fine as a safe haven). I am also figuring out a barrier for containment in her "cat area" when I first bring her home as well as instances when I can't have her underfoot (like when I am cooking.)

Thanks for your ear and advice. I do think I will be better prepared next time because of this experience.
I have two comments: 1) With an adult you know (or will know sooner) what your are getting. If there's an adult the displays the characteristics of what you want, get that adult. and 2) I like to think of adopting a pet (dog, cat, or whatever) is like inviting an alien creature into your home to live with you. By that I mean, you must expect differences to occur in your life when sharing your home with another species.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If I ever adopt a pet, I think I'd rather adopt an adult. Kittens/puppies just take too much energy to train and keep up with.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This is a cat that have never been affectionate and then only briefly. You are seeing unexplained changes in behavior. Between that and the fact that she's almost 20, I'd say you should be concerned about a health issue. IMHO, time to pay a visit to the vet.

Took her to the vet a month or so ago due to a tumor on her neck, which thankfully is gone and was benign. They also did a basic check-up and she was fine. But the trip to the vet was awful, she was terrified and it did not go well. Major stress/panic attack.

At her age, I'm just going to let her live life like normal. If she's in obvious pain, I may reconsider.

A neighbor of mine had a small dog that stopped eating, personality changed, it was obvious something wasn't right. She took him to the vet, some kind of internal issue and surgery that cost her $1900. The vet said he might live another few months. He died the next day. If my cat has something bad happening, I'll take her in and have her put to sleep. 20 years is a long life for a cat, she's doing fine now, but I'm not going to prolong her misery if she starts to fade.

The best possible solution would be for her to pass away like my Italian Greyhound did about eight years ago. She just fell asleep and never woke up.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Word.

Puppies are for the young--who have LOTS of time to spend with the animals for training's sake.

Not always. I got a black lab, she just turned six years old. Brought her home at about nine weeks, expecting several months of training like my previous dog, standing in the rain and cold, getting her used to going outside and not on the carpet.

Took absolutely zero effort. She came into the house, checked everything out then stood by the backdoor because she needed to pee. No training at all, six years and she's never made a mess in the house. I got very lucky. I didn't completely trust her if I was out, so I crated her for the first few months, she didn't mind. But never had any problems, so I just started leaving her out when I wasn't home. Labs apparently have really big bladders.

My only mistake was letting her on the furniture and my bed. Once that habit starts, almost impossible to break. :eek:

I'd read about using foil or getting those office floor pads and turning them upside down so the spiky things point upwards. Supposed to work for cats, thought it might work with a dog. She just grabbed the foil and played with it, tore it into tiny pieces all over the house, the spikes didn't bother her at all, so I basically gave up, she won that war.

Even tried a spray bottle with water. Another cat training trick, but she thought it was a game, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Took her to the vet a month or so ago due to a tumor on her neck, which thankfully is gone and was benign. They also did a basic check-up and she was fine. But the trip to the vet was awful, she was terrified and it did not go well. Major stress/panic attack.

At her age, I'm just going to let her live life like normal. If she's in obvious pain, I may reconsider.

A neighbor of mine had a small dog that stopped eating, personality changed, it was obvious something wasn't right. She took him to the vet, some kind of internal issue and surgery that cost her $1900. The vet said he might live another few months. He died the next day. If my cat has something bad happening, I'll take her in and have her put to sleep. 20 years is a long life for a cat, she's doing fine now, but I'm not going to prolong her misery if she starts to fade.

The best possible solution would be for her to pass away like my Italian Greyhound did about eight years ago. She just fell asleep and never woke up.
Yes, weighing the stress of a vet visit against the benefits is difficult. At 20, she's always in delicate health. I don't know whether she'd allow it, but at her age she'd almost definitely benefit from daily subcutaneous hydration which you can do in your home.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Yes, weighing the stress of a vet visit against the benefits is difficult. At 20, she's always in delicate health. I don't know whether she'd allow it, but at her age she'd almost definitely benefit from daily subcutaneous hydration which you can do in your home.

Had a friend who did the subcutaneous thing. Kept his cat alive for years.

My cat is actually extremely healthy, kind of surprising at her age. No issues except the tumor thing which has been fixed. She eats and drinks just like normal. She loves cold water and the occasional beer (kidding!).

Not something you'd expect, but she can balance herself just right and drink out of a toilet. :eek: Obviously once I discovered that little habit, the lids are always down.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    H-508
    Recent bookmarks